Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fran_joel
    replied
    You can always install temperature and humidity sensing devices. It's definitely more expensive but 100% accurate...

You could also write a script to extract the temperature data from the weather.com site, if you think it's more accurate.

I also live in Canada, but not in a small town ... The web site I use at the moment to get my temperature data is theweathernetwork.com.

Actually, I use the RSS feed (rss.theweathernetwork.com) for that site, which is much simpler in terms of formatting an also much smaller, making downloading it a breeze...
    (some weather humor here... !)

The RSS feed for Ottawa is :
    rss.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0512.html

Once you find your city code (Ottawa = caon0512), just substitute it to get the RSS feed that you want.

Joel

Leave a comment:

• Wadenut
    replied
    I live in one of those small towns.
    What I see is that the data in the XML feed isn't all that accurate or perhaps not up to date for my area. When I look at the web page at weather.com, I find the data there is quite a bit more accruate than what WeatherXML is telling me.

I'm reasonably sure it's not a download problem as the "updated" device is showing the correct time and date.

Could something else be wrong on my end?

This has become an issue for me as I have no other means of getting outside temperature and humidity data into Homeseer. I want to control my air conditioners and fans based on the Humidity Index and Temperature.

I've tried using the Canadian Weather script, but it tends to be a bit unreliable due to changes on the web site it reads. I'd previously abandoned my own script for the same reason.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    David,
    We all start somewhere and sometime. Now is as good a time as any. Let us know if you have any problems.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks

Rupp,

Since I am a novice programmer at best I was not sure if that would mess up the code any, so I thought I would ask. Sorry for the elementary school level trainging..hehe

But it works not just fine.

Thanks again.

David

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    David,
    You will need to remove the dot from the speak string to not hear it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Speaking "DOT" before the day

Hello,

I am playing around with setting up this script in HS2 beta and is it working great. The only thing that seems alittle off is that TTS pronounces the "." before the day of the week as "DOT" when speaking. It is suppose to do this or is there a way to eliminate it from speaking the period?

Kinda sound funny.

Thanks in advance.

David

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    John,
    The weather channel provides a free XML feed that is very reliable. Jeff has written weatherXML to use this feed.

Leave a comment:

• johnwpb
    replied
    I think Rupp is definately right here. The information is only as good as the source. Sometimes smallers towns and rural area's do not update the information as often as more populated area's. It even more seems the case of other area's are working correctly.

I am waiting for the day when one of the major weather services will offer XML/RSS weather information. This will eleviate the whole "screen scraping" that is required currently.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    This site is subject to being down a lot but I just tried it and it's working..
    http://www.rssweather.com/hw3.php?pands=20837&submit=GO

Leave a comment:

• ViperJD
    replied
    JP Weather not working for Poolesville

When I put in the information for Poolesville (Zip 20837), it says checking, but never provides the weather information. If I go to the site (http://www.rssweather.com/hw3.php?pands=20837&submit=GO) it is one of the cities listed. If I change the Zip to another city's zip listed it reports that cities weather info. If I change another cities zip to 20837, it stops after the retrieving comment. What could be wrong with my city?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    WeatherXML works with spain cities?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• johnwpb
    replied
    The temphigh that you are refering to is in the dim declorations only. It must be a rogue variable that was used in another script I was working on. Many times I will copy sections of the script to another if I can reuse the code.

Glad the script is working for you though.
    Last edited by johnwpb; May 3rd, 2005, 04:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kwolter
    replied
    Great script

This is exactly what I was looking for. I don't use VR, nor the web interface. Works great just by hitting a button on the remote and having the current temp and humdity announced.

I noticed in the script there is a variable for temphigh. Is this high temp forcasted for that day? If so, how would I get that value in the script? I tried to dump it out to the log and it appears to be blank...

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• CFGuy
    replied
    Here is a list of cities in Canada that weather.com provides info for.

http://www.weather.com/common/drilld...ml?from=search

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Neil,
    Does the WeatherXML setup not work in Canada?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X