Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CNN Breaking News - Broken?

Hi folks -

I'm convinced that the venerable old CNN Breaking News script is broken. Perhaps CNN changed their format?

There was breaking news today around 2:46PM ("Father of Laura Hobbs... charged with murder..") The script saw nothing.

I have run the script in test and debug mode, and everything checks out perfectly. The log demonstrates that it is accessing and downloading the CNN.com home page.

I did not actually see the alert on the CNN page, but I received their email notification of same.

The script version of custom_cnn.txt is 2.3. I reloaded a new copy from the script library a few days ago just to be sure. I have verified that the ini parameters are correct.

Did anyone else actually retrieve/hear this alert?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry,
    It worked here. How often are you checking. Many times they are only up for less than a minute.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Worked here also

My script checks every three minutes. I have CNN email me as well so I have a way to check it.

Comment

Working here as well, was on the BB when it was announced, When is the last time you downloaded the current one. There was a break a couple of months back.

Thom

Comment

I have no problems with my own version either, I just got an announcement last night about the 2 murdered girls.
          HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
          (aka xplosiv)
          Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

OK, here's an example - still no luck.

RIght now, CNN has breaking news about the Jackson trial. custom_cnn.txt (version 2.3) detects nothing. I've got debug turned on, it's obviously accessing the CNN site correctly since it appears in the log, and the script cannot detect the breaking news. I've captured the source from the CNN page, I'll try to attach it.

Thanks for any help,

Jerry
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's more data

They changed the format a few minutes ago, still no luck. attached is (a) a section from my HS log showing what was captured with debug turned on;
              (b) the source code of the cnn.com/index.html page;
              (c) my custom_cnn.txt script file

Any advice appreciated!

Jerry
              Attached Files

Comment

Mine worked fine:

Michael Jackson found innocent on all 10 counts in his child molestation trial. Details soon.

Comment

It works great here

Thom

Comment

All is well that ends well...

Thanks to a Mississipi jury, I can now report that everything is fixed.

I appreciated the help!

Jerry

Comment

Its funny. Today I received all four of these "breaking news" headlines. I guess CNN is having some trouble deciding what they wanted to say for this one, or maybe they have a new intern posting these.

The shuttle program is being grounded until engineers determine the severity of the impact of debris that fell from the shuttle Discovery during blastoff Tuesday, NASA says. More soon.

The shuttle program is being grounded while engineers determine the effects of debris falling from Discovery during blastoff Tuesday, NASA says. More soon.

NASA grounds the space shuttle progam while engineers determine the effects of debris falling from Discovery during blastoff. More soon.

NASA grounds the space shuttle program while engineers determine the effects of debris falling from Discovery during blastoff. More soon.

But wait a minute. How can you "ground" the space shuttle program when there is still one up there?

Comment

They change the wording like this all the time, sometimes even just adding or removing a space. I am starting to believe they are doing this on purpose
                        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                        (aka xplosiv)
                        Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Grounding the NASA Space Shuttle fleet

Originally posted by anogee
                          ...How can you "ground" the space shuttle program when there is still one up there?...
                          None of them have permission to take off. There will be no more launches until the defects are fixed -- So, they are all 'grounded.' Of course, one of them has permission to land!

Space flight is too expensive anyway. The estimate is $200,000 per person for a few minutes of weightlessness. If anyone believes there has to be a less expensive way (I.E. less than $150) to participate in the thrill of spaceflight, check out http://www.beyond-earth.com

Note that I may be biased; I work there.

Jeff

Comment

Mine's broken

I can't get mine to work.

I put it in debug mode - and here's the error that I'm getting:

8/3/2005 12:27:51 PM ~!~CNNAlerts~!~[debug] html data: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html lang="en"><head><title>CNN.com</title> <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
                            <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1800">
                            <link rel="Start" href="/">
                            <link rel="Search" href="/search/">
                            <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://i.cnn.net/cnn/.element/ssi/css/1.3/common.css" type="text/css">
                            <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://i.cnn.net/cnn/.element/ssi/css/1.3/main.css" type="text/css">
                            <script language="JavaScript1.2"

Then, there's a TON of other stuff that looks like the source code for cnn.com. Would there be any information in there that would help troubleshoot this?

Comment

Working...
                            X