• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha RX-V3000 Serial Port control [VB Script] Discussion

Discussion for Yamaha RX-V3000 Serial Port control

Script is located at:
    http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...044#post646044

Description:
    Allows commands to be sent and responses monitored using a serial connection to a Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver. Most Yamaha receivers with a serial port can be handled by modifying the commands / repsonses used based on the protocol documents available on the Yamaha site: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/r.../remote_IR.htm
    Specifically for the RX-V3000:
    standard: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/c...ST_IRCODES.pdf
    extended: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/c...000IRCODES.pdf
    serial protocols: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/r...mote_RS232.htm
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/codes/RS232C.pdf (includes connector wiring)

All discrete commands work with the exception of setting zone2 volume - still have to volume up or volume down, but it at least provides the level so you know where you are.

I'll attach some screenshots also...

Yamaha vbs pages

Yamaha vbs pages
    Main page and 2 pages for Pocket PC skin for touchpad (broken into zone 1 and zone 2 controls)
    Attached Files

Comment

Log excerpts

Here's some of the log messages:
      PHP Code:
      6/20/2005 8:40:24 PM~!~Debug~!~Sending Command to Yamaha (effect_off)07EE0
      6/20/2005 8:40:24 PM~!~Yamaha.vbs~!~Sending Effects Off (effect_off)
      6/20/2005 8:40:24 PM~!~Yamaha~!~RS232Z1 ProgramProgram Off
      /20/2005 8:40:28 PM~!~Debug~!~Sending Command to Yamaha (effect_normal)07EF8
      6/20/2005 8:40:28 PM~!~Yamaha.vbs~!~Sending Normal (effect_normal)
      6/20/2005 8:40:28 PM~!~Yamaha~!~RS232Z1 ProgramProLogicNormal
      /20/2005 8:40:35 PM~!~Debug~!~Sending Command to Yamaha (effect_8stereo)07EEF
      6/20/2005 8:40:35 PM~!~Yamaha.vbs~!~Sending 8-stereo (effect_8stereo)
      6/20/2005 8:40:35 PM~!~Yamaha~!~RS232Z1 ProgramEntertainment8 Channel Stereo
      /20/2005 8:40:37 PM~!~Debug~!~Sending Command to Yamaha (effect_normal)07EF8
      6/20/2005 8:40:37 PM~!~Yamaha.vbs~!~Sending Normal (effect_normal)
      6/20/2005 8:40:37 PM~!~Yamaha~!~RS232Z1 ProgramProLogicNormal
      /20/2005 8:53:20 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemDTS released
      /20/2005 8:53:20 PM~!~Yamaha~!~IRZ1:  Dish PVR921
      /20/2005 8:53:20 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemDolby Digital (Not 2.0)
      6/20/2005 8:53:20 PM~!~Yamaha~!~System48kHz
      /20/2005 8:53:20 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemDD 6.1 ES is OFF
      /20/2005 8:53:21 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemDSP mode normal
      /20/2005 8:53:21 PM~!~Yamaha~!~IR:
      6/20/2005 8:53:21 PM~!~Yamaha~!~IRZ1 ProgramProLogicNormal
      /20/2005 8:53:35 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemDTS released
      /20/2005 8:53:35 PM~!~Yamaha~!~IRZ1:  Dish PVR721 #1
      6/20/2005 8:53:36 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemPCM output
      /20/2005 8:53:36 PM~!~Yamaha~!~System48kHz
      /20/2005 8:53:36 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemDD 6.1 ES is ON
      /20/2005 8:53:36 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemDSP mode normal
      /20/2005 8:53:36 PM~!~Yamaha~!~IR:
      6/20/2005 8:53:37 PM~!~Yamaha~!~IRZ1 ProgramProLogicNormal
      /20/2005 8:54:01 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemDTS released
      /20/2005 8:54:02 PM~!~Yamaha~!~IRZ1:  Dish PVR721 #2
      6/20/2005 8:54:02 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemPCM output
      /20/2005 8:54:02 PM~!~Yamaha~!~System48kHz
      /20/2005 8:54:02 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemDD 6.1 ES is ON
      /20/2005 8:54:02 PM~!~Yamaha~!~SystemDSP mode normal
      /20/2005 8:54:03 PM~!~Yamaha~!~IR:
      6/20/2005 8:54:03 PM~!~Yamaha~!~IRZ1 ProgramProLogicNormal 

Comment

Hey Jim,
        Do you have this running in HS 2.0?
        Do you know if this would work with my Yamaha RX-V2500?

For the past month, I've been trying to get my RX-V2500 to communicate with a computer through Girder 4.0 and am hitting road blocks due to my lack of knowledge with LUA Scripting. I'm almost there but not quite. It's good to see that I'd be able to do this straight through HS.

I unzipped your file and didn't see any setup instructions (ie. where to install files, what I may need to customize and what I shouldn't touch). Did I overlook a file?

Thanks for sharing your hard work!

Eric

Comment

Eric,

I haven't tried installing 2.0 yet - been waiting for things to settle since 1.7 has been working fine for me (but did buy the upgrade at the discounted price)

The zip file has the files in the correct folders just copy everything in the scripts folder to the [homeseer install directory]/scripts. Same for the stuff in html.

html:
          filecontents.vbs (don't modify)
          parse_vbs_link.vbs (don't modify)
          yamaha.vbs,yamaha_tp.vbs (these are the files to call from your browser to send the actual commands. You will need to modify these if any of the commands are different from the RXV-3000)

html/infrared:
          *.irs - these map the commands in the vbs files to buttons, and is really an html file that gets displayed when the vbs file is opened in a browser. You can modify these to change how the page displays.

scripts:
          OpenComPort.txt - put into Startup.txt to open com port and handle I/O to and from the receiver
          comm_close_yamaha.txt - put into Shutdown.txt to close com port

startup_yamaha.txt / shutdown_yamaha.txt - just examples of how to edit startup.txt and shutdown.txt.

Comment

Hey Jim,
            I'm about to get into this and I have a question before I jump in.

If the main volume value on the receiver is at say -25db, could I send a command to the receiver to set the volume to 40db or do I need to send many many volume up commads to get there?

In looking at the scripts, it looks like there is no way to 'jump' the volume from a low setting to a very high setting. It looks like you can only do this in small increments. Is this true?

Thanks
            Eric

Comment

You can set the main volume discretely, but not with the scripts that are posted. You can modify the web pages to include the right commands. I use the volume banks, and my pronto to preset the volume to certain levels. Remember that the main script run at startup opens the com port, so all you have to do is pump data into the port, and let the other script handle the responses.

You should really look at the IR protocol doc from Yamaha - I'll attach it if it's not too big. Note that even though there is a command to discretely set the zone2 volume, it doesn't work - they fixed it in the 3200 though

Here's some script snippits that might help

PHP Code:
              stx chr(01'start transmission
              etx = chr(02) '
              end transmission

hs
              .SendToComPort 2,stx&"22002"&etx 'requests zone2 volume text
                 hs.SendToComPort 2,stx&"230nn"&etx '
              sets master volumesee page 3 for nn values 
              Attached Files

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for your work on this. I just got the RX-V1800 receiver and developed a script (mostly from your yamaha.vbs) to control the receiver. One issue I'm having is getting the commands for the "XM", "MULTICH" and BD/HD DVD" inputs. These seem to be new since the attached protocol was published. I did find a RS232C protocol pdf from a German support site (attached), but it's not in the same format as your codings.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
                Attached Files
                Regards, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by itanic View Post
                  Jim,

Thanks for your work on this. I just got the RX-V1800 receiver and developed a script (mostly from your yamaha.vbs) to control the receiver. One issue I'm having is getting the commands for the "XM", "MULTICH" and BD/HD DVD" inputs. These seem to be new since the attached protocol was published. I did find a RS232C protocol pdf from a German support site (attached), but it's not in the same format as your codings.

I have a RX-V1700 I'd like to control with HomeSeer. Do you think the RX-V1800 script would work with it? If your willing to share your work, I'd love to try it out.

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by itanic View Post
                    Jim,

I think you're still missing the important parts of the protocol. In the xxx_standard doc, there are only commands identified to read or set operating parameters, and none ID'd for operating the unit itself (selecting inputs, power on/off, etc). The extended doc looks like it only defines the configuration message which is sent at power on, or as a report when requested.

Is the script working for other inputs? Try changing the values by a bit at a time to see if you can switch it to the XM or other desired input.

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I did notice that the attached only dealt with settings and not input selection. The format is vastly different than what I was used to seeing. I was able to get the remaining codes I needed from surfing the web. I've attached them in case anyone else wants to use them.
                      Attached Files
                      Regards, Bob

Comment

I know it's bad form to revive an old thread like this, but has anyone made any recent updates to this script? Specifically in the RXV-1900 / RXV-1700 arena? Before I rolled my sleeves up and started to try and unravel the code and the programming guides I thought I might ping the community first.
                        Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Working...
                        X