X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark L: LCD Server exe

Mark,

Waaaay back in the Script Library archives, you posted this:

I have created a LCD server to pull data from Homeseer and send it to a serial mounted 16x2 LCD display. You may download this for a limited time ...

LCD Server Info and Downloads
    I guess the "limited time" is up, considering it was over 3 years ago! Could you please make this available again? I am trying to deploy some small serial LCDs for status displays and wanted to see the solution you came up with for displaying HS info on them and how often you rotate the displayed info.

There are xAP applications that drive a variety of LCD displays and you can send xAP messages out of Homeseer. I think Kevin Turner deals with the LCD. A search of the Wiki from xapAutomation.org may give you something useful

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for that pointer. My issue, however, lies with providing data to the display on a very frequent basis. An HS event can run a script every 5 seconds to refresh the display (via XAP or just writing to the COM port), but what does that do to performance? My thought was that a standalone EXE might be better for "micromanaging" the display without interferring with HS. I suppose that creating a Xap node on a different machine to run the display would alleviate this somewhat.

Comment

Is the data changing every 5 seconds? The xAP message is typically delivered on changes, but could be driven periodically. Is the data within homeseer changing that often?

I agree with you that low level control like this is probably better suited to a more focused application.

Comment

Mike,

Since I am looking at a small display, I would like to rotate various messages through it. The specific display I am looking at does seem to have some intelligence built into it to pause between lines if I insert a control character, so I can load more than one line at a time and have them scroll through on their own at some set interval (I haven't gotten the actual display yet to check). this would lower the frequency of HS-fired events.

Comment

Working...
          X