Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using CNN Headlines code to create dynamic HTML pages

Okay gang.
    Here is what I am trying to do. I have got the CNN Headlines working perfectly withing Homeseer (and subsequently in MainLobby as well). But I am unsure how to properly modify the CNN Headlines code to take the link for the news article (and the necessary code to make it show the 'Printer-Friendly' Version, which works really well) and create a simple redirect html page saved on the local computer.

For Example:
    Headline 3 (w93) contains:
    "Fierce fighting rages in Somali capital"

I understand the coding enough to make a modification to create the 'printer-friendly' url
    Headline URL 3 (x93) contains:
    http://cnn.law.printthis.clickabilit...785/index.html

As you can tell from the '?', '=', '&' and the '~' Mainlobby doesn't respond well to this being directly inputted as a default page. However the workaround would be to have a local page that redirects to the above URL, and then there wouldn't be the same problem.

So any ideas how to, or at least what code is necssary to create a text file and save it as an html file from notepad within the CNN Breaking news code?

Any ideas/suggestions/comments much appreciated.

Thank you so very much in advance

Russell Albright

Comment

Hi all:

After going through CNN's html source code for what seems like hours (probably about 1), I figured out how to create the necessary dynamic webpages.

Thanks anyways
      Russell

Comment

Do I see there is a update on this script. I must have read for about 15 minutes today twice. I heard +=+= about a hundred times. I love this program. Thanks for any information.
        danielbo
        danielbo

Comment

Is anyone converting this to dot net.

Thanks

Thom

Comment

Originally posted by danielbo View Post
            Do I see there is a update on this script. I must have read for about 15 minutes today twice. I heard +=+= about a hundred times. I love this program. Thanks for any information.
            danielbo
            Which script are you talking about here daniel?
            Jon

Comment

Opps. Probably should have clarified a little

Originally posted by albright_family View Post
              Hi all:

After going through CNN's html source code for what seems like hours (probably about 1), I figured out how to create the necessary dynamic webpages.

Thanks anyways
              Russell
              Perhaps I should have been a little more specific in my last post. Largely the updates I made to this script are used in Cinemar Mainlobby, utilizing a scene that has a WebLobby window displaying the news story and a variable list of w90-w99 containing the headlines, which trigger the update to the web page. The updates I made to the script are as executed as followed:
              Dumps the previous data from w90-w99 Virtual Devices
              Fills w90-w99 with the current headlines from CNN
              On each fill pass for each virtual device. Homeseer generates a simple redirect web page to the 'Printer-Friendly' Version of the headline's story. (IE - w90 would have a page called 'headlinew90.htm'. Again the only thing that this page does is redirects to the correct story.

CNN didn't exactly make it easy for me to do this either, I had to almost completely dissect the source code for several of there pages, and then also pages of VBScript and Javascript functions. If any of you are interested in this, I will be more than happy to send you some of my files. For a screen shot of what some of these screens look like go to: http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/f...=asc&&start=29

View the rest of that topic to see the rest of my screenshots. Have a great day, and sorry for any confusion.

Russell

Comment

Speaking News Alerts

I went through and clean up all my scripts, to just put on the ones that I really use. I just had so much stuff that I never used.
                I didn't use the email programs, so I took it off.
                Now I am looking for the News update program that doesn't use the email. I am getting CNN news update on the status page, which is what I want.
                But what I am missing is the news alerts that would be announced through out the day. I would get at least one a day, usually more.
                I am getting nothing now. Could some one tell me what script I am to be using to do this, or can I still do it without using an email program?
                I miss hearing a news up date every now and then.
                Even if someone would repost or direct me to the right script.
                Thank you,
                Dan
                danielbo

Comment

This one works for me.
                  Tim
                  Attached Files
                  FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Thank you
                    danielbo

Comment

Has this script been updated. I use it but haven't seen breaking news in quite some time.

Comment

Here is the last one I got.
                        Tim

4/5/2007 6:06:53 AM=The plane carrying 15 British military personnel freed by Iran after a tense two-week standoff has landed in London.

Comment

I went back and check mine and I don't seem to have gotten one either. I don't know if I have it set up right or not. I just have the file set up as a event to run every 15 minutes. I read the instructions, but really didn't understand them. So I might not have mine set up right.
                          danielbo

Comment

I run mine every 3 mins. Had it longer and it seems to miss them.
                            Here is my ini file, change the device to match yours.
                            Tim
                            Attached Files

Comment

I just got my news update, works great!!
                              Thank you so much!!!
                              danielbo

Comment

Know what someone needs to do? There should be a way in this script to set a % match which would compare the message about to be emailed to the last message sent, and abort if they are similar. For me, instead of emailing an alert, it sends a text message to my phone. I can't tell you now many times I'll get "such and such happened" followed by "such and such happened, sources say" or something like that.

Would be kind of a fun to write too.
                                -Tom

Visit Kernhome
                                Kern Theater Gallery

(User: guest / Pass: guest)

Comment

Working...
                                X