CNN Breaking News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAF Low tonight - she told me to shut it off

Lately I have noticed when getting a CNN news alert it plays every three minutes while posted on CNN. It used to only play once. Anyone having a similiar issue?

Ini looks like:

9/7/2007 8:03:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:06:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:09:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:12:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:15:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:18:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:21:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:24:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:27:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:30:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:33:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:36:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    9/7/2007 8:39:17 PM=The owners of a nursing home where 35 patients died after Hurricane Katrina are found not guilty of negligent homicide, cruelty, AP reports.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

autocap,

You just put the *.vb in the box where it is reading the script in your event action.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

yep,
        Having the same issue in the past few weeks. It re-reads the breaking news several times.....

Comment

I shut it off last night for that reason - WAF - way down.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            I shut it off last night for that reason - WAF - way down.
            Pete,
            Are you using the VBScript (.txt) or VB.NET (.vb) version? I can probably send you a slightly modified version that mostly fixes the problem.
            Steve

Comment

Hello Steve, I am using the VB.NET version.

Your modified version would be great. Thank you.

Pete
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

OK,
                So how many versions are floating out there? And which one works the best? I'm using the .txt version, can someone share a "newer" version that does not repeat breaking news over and over? Thanks!

Comment

I don't want anyone to think I'm ignoring you or that I've forgotten. I've been waiting for a Breaking News alert to make sure the edits I've made work. I've got the VB.NET version running on one computer and the VBScript version running on another.

I don't use LEDAM (I use my own scripts that I wrote before LEDAM came out), so I've commented that part out of both scripts. It probably should be based on something in the INI file, but since this isn't my script, I'm hesitant to hijack it.

Anyway, if we can get some breaking news, I'll know if this is OK now and will post it.

Steve

Comment

Got it!

OK, so I had a breaking news alert on both machines, so I guess it still works fine.

All I did in both versions was change the compare of the new/old alerts from being an exact match to checking the first 100 characters. I inserted this a while back when I was seeing the repeats, and it seems to be fine.

Like I said before, if you use LEDAM, you'll need to edit the scripts. The VB.NET and VBScript versions are attached. I'm not the author, and don't really know who owns the configuration management of these, but hopefully whoever it is will pick this idea up and incorporate it if more edits are required.

Steve
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Steve!

Pete
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Repeating Breaking News ***BUMP

**bump
                        With all the breaking financial news this week, my wife is complaining about the re-triggering of the CNN alerts. Has anyone figured out a fix for this?

Comment

Would be nice to get this working again.

Comment

As long as you are running something that looks at a web page to parse info from eventually that script will quit working because web masters are always changing layout and format of that web page you are referencing.

The best luck I had was subscribe my HomeSeer email address to CNN Breaking News alerts and then ran the following script from an event that was triggered by an email from CNN.

PHP Code:
                            sub main()
                            dim index subject body
                            index 
                            hs.MailTrigger 
                            subject 
                            hs.MailSubject(index)
                            body hs.MailText(index)

'-----------------------------------------------
                            '                
                            CNN NEWS
                            '-----------------------------------------------
                            '
                            body "Test"
                            end_hook instr(body,"Watch CNN") -2
                            if end_hook 10 then end_hook len(body

body left(body,end_hook)

hs.WriteLog "CNN Alert" body
                            end 
                            if
                            hs.SetDeviceString "w63",body

end sub 

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Skibum View Post
                              Would be nice to get this working again.
                              It seems to be working here. I've gotten 6 alerts announced so far today, and it looks like there was about a dozen yesterday. I made a small change to drop the "Watch now" that CNN seems to put on the end of most of them now, but other than that I think I pretty much run what I posted above.

Steve

Comment

Hmm, if I hear about Dick Cheney one more time this evening I'm going to screem!!!

1) 9/20/2008 6:05:08 PM - A federal judge has ordered Dick Cheney to preserve a wide range of records from his time as vice president.
                                2) 9/20/2008 6:00:07 PM - A federal judge has ordered Dick Cheney to preserve a wide range of records from his time as vice president.
                                3) 9/20/2008 5:55:07 PM - A federal judge has ordered Dick Cheney to preserve a wide range of records from his time as vice president.
                                4) 9/20/2008 5:50:08 PM - A federal judge has ordered Dick Cheney to preserve a wide range of records from his time as vice president.
                                5) 9/20/2008 5:45:01 PM - A federal judge has ordered Dick Cheney to preserve a wide range of records from his time as vice president.
                                -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                                HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X