Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio Shack DMM Script

The script is posted here .

I got fed up with my local power company voltages spiking all the time and created this script to track the high (and low) voltages coming off the power line. Complete protocol instructions are included in the script file.

Enjoy!

Mitch
    http://www.midondesign.com

This is pretty cool Mitch. The meter is only $70 also!

One question I have is how do you set the sampling rate or rate that the script actually saves the values to the HomeSeer devices? Do you have to set up an event to trigger a script or does this just "free run"?

If it does free run, how much burden is placed on the CPU?

Regards,

BSR
    --------------------------------------------------
    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

There is no need to setup an event since the "Multimeter Startup.txt" sets up a callback process that triggers the script.

I went with defaults from the meter since it was late when I was working on this, so the meter is pumping data to HS at about 1 packet per second. There has been no noticeable affect on my CPU useage (yet!). I'm averaging about 2% CPU useage if not doing anything else on my PC. I get occasional spikes up to 50% but definitely not related to this script due to infrequent nature of the spikes.

Mitch

Comment

Hello,

I bought this DVM and want to use your script.
        I have placed the files in the script directory
        Made 3 Virtual devices
        But get no data.

Question
        Must the multimeter.startup.txt not put in the startup.txt file!!
        I have done that but stil no data
        I use Com14
        With the software deliverd with the DVM this is working

Any idea whats wrong

Thanks

Ed

Comment

Are there features of the DMM that are being used to capture voltage spikes? For general monitoring of voltages couldn't a 1-wire (or other) A/D be used with an appropriate voltage divider?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
            Are there features of the DMM that are being used to capture voltage spikes? For general monitoring of voltages couldn't a 1-wire (or other) A/D be used with an appropriate voltage divider?
            Most DMMs allow the capturing of min & max voltage readings. I think it's great that Midon came up with a way to capture that data programmatically.
            huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Hello,

Yes i like to monitor the up and down voltage from mains
              So i want to use the script.
              so that i can see in the log file when the Voltage is under a certain level

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by ESSCHENK View Post
                Hello,

I bought this DVM and want to use your script.
                I have placed the files in the script directory
                Made 3 Virtual devices
                But get no data.

Question
                Must the multimeter.startup.txt not put in the startup.txt file!!
                I have done that but stil no data
                I use Com14
                With the software deliverd with the DVM this is working

Any idea whats wrong

Thanks

Ed
                Hi Ed,

Yes, the MultimeterStartup.txt script should be called from your startup.txt script to set up the com port. If the virtual devices are not being updated, make sure that your com port is properly working. Shut down HS and open Hyperterm for that com port and see if data is coming through.

Is it possible that the DMM is not set to transmit data through it's serial port?

Also, is the file MultimeterLog.txt in your Logs folder being updated?

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  Of course that is a way to go, Michael. The DMM was cheaper to buy than developing a safe circuit to interface to 1-Wire.

Mitch

Comment

Any suggestions where to pick one of these up from? I can't seem to find it at the shack any more.

G

Comment

Hello,

I have got mine from ebay
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:EF:US:1120

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by ESSCHENK View Post
                        Hello,

I have got mine from ebay
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:EF:US:1120

Ed
                        So did I... Thanks for the link... I seached there earlier, and didn't find anything.

G

Comment

Hello Mitch,

The meter is working good with the original software on the same port
                          I have switch the port temperary to com1
                          Because the original software is working not higher then com4

I have some info in the log file

2.V 14/02/2010 23:19:18 ([,1,1,1,181,1,91,1,2,1,181,1,1,7,1,1,1,1,189)
                          2.V 14/02/2010 23:19:22 ([,1,7,1,1,1,181,1,31,1,2,1,181,1,1,7,1,1,1)
                          .V 14/02/2010 23:19:24 ([,1,181,1,7,1,1,1,181,1,91,1,2,1,181,1,1,7,1)
                          2.V 14/02/2010 23:19:28 ([,1,1,1,181,1,7,1,1,1,181,1,91,1,2,1,181,1,1)
                          4.V 14/02/2010 23:19:31 ([,7,1,1,1,1,122,1,1,181,1,2,1,181,1,7,1,2,1)
                          .V 14/02/2010 23:19:33 ([,1,122,1,7,1,1,1,181,1,220,1,2,1,181,1,1,7,1)
                          .2V 14/02/2010 23:19:36 ([,1,1,181,1,7,1,1,181,1,1,220,1,1,181,1,1,1,122)
                          .V 14/02/2010 23:19:40 ([,1,7,1,2,1,1,1,7,1,1,1,2,1,0,1,181,1,1)
                          .V 14/02/2010 23:19:42 ([,1,249,1,7,1,2,1,181,1,91,1,1,2,1,2,1,1,91)
                          22.V 14/02/2010 23:19:45 ([,1,7,1,181,1,181,1,181,1,249,91,1,7,1,181,1,181,1)

But its not like the output what i want
                          Also whit HyperTerminal I see some output.

Any idee?

Thanks

Ed

Comment

What you are seeing is the output which results if an error is read. The script is written assuming that the meter is set to AC Volts and the scale is set to Volts. If you have something else set, you will need to change the script accordingly. Make sure that your setting match, try again. If you still get the error, please post the results.

Dank u wel,

Mitch

Comment

I saw where Mitch's idea could have a variety of applications where one desires to measure instrumented behavior over time. I took advantage of the digit lookup logic within the script and decoded the remainder of the status bits from the DMM to provide a more generalized software interface to this DMM. It is wrapped in HTTP and xAP logic to provide an interactive UI and generalized telemetry of what the DMM is reporting. Mitch's script will likely satisfy the needs of a typical Homeser user who wants to only measure AC voltage. If ones wants to use the DMM in other ways then xapmcsMultimeter http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=140505 provides that option.

Comment

Working...
                              X