Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[VBScript] bjd_random_quote Script

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    This script is used to count text lines in a input file and then randomly speak one of the lines of text.

Installations:
    • Unzip bjd_random_quote.zip into your Homeseer 2 directory.
    • Setup an event in Homeseer that executes the script: bjd_random_quote.vb("Main","deep_thoughts.txt")
    • Execute the event and listen to a random Deep Thought... by Jack Handey.
    • Setup an event in Homeseer that executes the script: bjd_random_quote.vb("Main","random_quotes.txt")
    • Execute the event and listen to a random quote.
    • Create your own quote text files for random speech.
    An example event is included in the event_example.jpg file.

Files included in the bjd_random_quote.zip are:
    • \Homeseer 2\Scripts\bjd_random_quotes.vb
    • \Homeseer 2\Scripts\bjd_random_quotes\deep_thoughts.txt
    • \Homeseer 2\Scripts\bjd_random_quotes\random_quotes.txt
    • \Homeseer 2\Scripts\bjd_random_quotes\scene_goodnight.txt
    Let me know if anyone thinks this script is useful and I'll place it in the scripts library.
    Attached Files
    Billy

I just gave this script a try and received the following error in the log:

Script compile error: Argument not specified for parameter 'st' of 'Public Sub SetDeviceString(dev As String, st As String, [reset As Boolean = False])'.on line 107

I've setup the event per the instructions. I'm running HS version 2.2.0.11.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Comment

Oops, nevermind. I goofed up and posted before I should have.

Brian

Comment

Brian did you get it working? I use it all the time for random speak...

Let me know if you think it is useful and I will place it in the script library.

I also have one that randomly plays wave files, kinda neat, got the whole StarTrek beep thing going on over here...
        Billy

Comment

Thanks for checking - I did get it working. I forgot I had made a change to it and that's what wasn't working. I did a little more work, and it works perfectly.

It's funny how timing goes. I decided I wanted to pull a daily quote or random thought into my main ML scene, but didn't know where to start. Lo and behold, you had posted a script that did that very thing just a little before I started digging into this. The change I had made was to output a random thought to a device string, which I can then pull into a scene.

It is working spot on now.

Thanks again for checking!

Brian

Comment

No problem, glad I could give a little help back now and then.

Work has been so hectic lately, and I have an 8 year old that has played on 4 different ball teams this year. I helped coach 2 of them, I must be a glutton for punishment . It's been a lot of fun but now he is on a travel team and it is wearing the wife and I out. I also started back to school to attempt my 4 year degree after being in IT for 17+ years... I've been away from the HA board for to long, glad I checked in...

I'll post the script to the script library where it should be. I'll also post the random wave file player, it's kinda cool.

Thanks again.
            Billy

Comment

Working...
            X