BackeRupp Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BackeRupp Question

I created a backup set and ran it. Worked great. (like I would have expected any less from the Rupp man!)

However, after that I thought it would be better to have the executable in its own directory, it was in the root HS directory. I moved it and the named ini file for my backup to its own directory under HS. Will that cause any problems? I figured as long as the ini is in the same directory as the exe and the event referenced the right path it would work? Yes/no/maybe?

Great script, and thanks.
    Later, Terry

Tman, thanks for posting this question. I down loaded the zip to my desktop, but I dont really known how to install it and now that you stated about the location of the file, this puts me in a black hole. Can somebody explain what is the correct way of doing this? I appreciate simple terms. thanks
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by tman1 View Post
      I created a backup set and ran it. Worked great. (like I would have expected any less from the Rupp man!)

However, after that I thought it would be better to have the executable in its own directory, it was in the root HS directory. I moved it and the named ini file for my backup to its own directory under HS. Will that cause any problems? I figured as long as the ini is in the same directory as the exe and the event referenced the right path it would work? Yes/no/maybe?

Great script, and thanks.
      Later, Terry
      You need to insure that the BackupSetName.txt file and all .ini's were moved. So for each entry in the BackupSetName.txt file you should have a like named .ini file.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

That's what I thought (and did), Thanks Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
          Tman, thanks for posting this question. I down loaded the zip to my desktop, but I dont really known how to install it and now that you stated about the location of the file, this puts me in a black hole. Can somebody explain what is the correct way of doing this? I appreciate simple terms. thanks
          Create a new directory ie c:\Program Files\BackeRupp
          Copy the contents of the Zip file to this directory and then have a look at the .doc file. It explains how to use the .exe

Comment

Guys,
            Are you seeing a "greenish" background on your .exe?

Comment

Rotech, lets see if I can pay it forward.

I followed the directions in Rupp's docs that came with the zip file.

Create a directory under HomeSeer 2 called BackeRupp.
              Place the BackeRupp.exe there.
              If you have not created a backup set it will place the Ini file that will be created when you run the BackeRupp file for the first time by double clicking it from the dir you place it in.
              If you already created a backup set file it will end with .ini, place it in the same directory you put the Exe file in.
              As per the doc in the zip file put the dll file in the \windows\system32 directory of your HomeSeer server machine.
              I put the doc file in the regular directory in HomeSeer2 for docs. Typically \HomeSeer2\docs directory.

Hope that helps, Later Terry

oops looks like fleet fingered Rupp beat me to it.
              Last edited by tman1; February 18, 2008, 10:00 PM. Reason: The man is quick.

Comment

Yup, a big 10-4 on the green background.

(Oops Sorry, channeling my CB days)

Thanks again, Later
                Terry

Comment

guys, I still dont understand how you do this, can you clarify some more please...
                  Hector
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

guys, I still don't understand how you do this, can you clarify some more please...
                    I would suggest you run BackeRupp from the Crive, or whatever you call it, not from within the HS directory, or it will try and backup itself which can lead to interesting results.

If you are backing up to a different computer Map the connection.

Do not hold back when backing up HS, just back up the whole directory.

If you are still having problems try a manual backup which you have to do anyway to set the directories, paths etc.
                    sigpic
                    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

How long does it take?

Rupp

I think I installed it rigth, but I got a question. When I first hit the "go" button on the green page, it starts saying in the bottom of the page "adding...." and a file name. But It got to a point where it stopped at a file named Blicon and it just sits there, is this normal, Ive waited around 5 min. is this normal?
                      Hector
                      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Rupp

disregard, it finished backing up,I think depending on the size of your data it will take a while.But just to make sure, how do I verify if it did it correctly? and also I would like to known your advice about what files should be backup and the frequency it should be done. thank you.
                        Hector
                        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Yes it takes a while. I backup my entire HomeSeer folder every night as well as a few other folders and it takes about 45 minutes.

As far as verification. Just open the zip file and have a look. Try opening a few of the files in the zip file and ensure they are ok.

Comment

Rupp

I opened up the zip file and it seems that everthing there, I will try the files Later. But now I have a diferent problem. I created a event as per the instruccions but I get this error:

2/25/2008 9:17:21 PM - Info - Event Trigger "Automatic backup"
                            2/25/2008 9:17:21 PM - Error - Launching application: The system cannot find the file specified
                            2/25/2008 9:17:21 PM - Error - (continued) File name: "C:\VB\BackeRupp\BackeRupp.exe", Params: "Homeseer Backup"
                            Hector
                            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Rupp

I opened up the zip file and it seems that everthing there, I will try the files Later. But now I have a diferent problem. I created a event as per the instruccions but I get this error:

2/25/2008 9:17:21 PM - Info - Event Trigger "Automatic backup"
                              2/25/2008 9:17:21 PM - Error - Launching application: The system cannot find the file specified
                              2/25/2008 9:17:21 PM - Error - (continued) File name: "C:\VB\BackeRupp\BackeRupp.exe", Params: "Homeseer Backup"
                              Rupp, have any idea what aim doing wrong?
                              Hector
                              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
                              X