No announcement yet.

NetCallerID Package Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. The mod for this took all of about 10 minutes. I'm waiting for him to test it, but the changes are pretty simple so I'd hope it works after a couple of tweaks.

I don't know if anyone else would benefit, but it looks like Rien's modem is a "rockwell" modem (according to the script he sent). If anyone here wants to use my NCID package with a rockwell modem, I can probably post the modified version. The script he sent has another init string for a "zoom" modem, and as far as I know it would be just as easy to support that.

Steve

Comment

It took more than 10 minutes eventually, but Steve is now close to have a version which will also work in Europe and maybe other parts of the world too.

What I (and Steve) would like to know is:

What caller information is sent out over the line when somebody calls you. In the Netherlands we only have the caller number (no name, like in the US). I'm pretty sure the rest off europe don't sent names as caller identfication, but only the number.

Is this right ??? Can all forum users outside the US reply with their specific callerid specification.

Thanks a lot,
      Regards,

Rien du Pre
      The Netherlands
      Using:
      Homeseer PRO latest HS4 BETA on a Raspberry
      Plugin's:
      RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by Rien du Pre View Post
        In the Netherlands we only have the caller number (no name, like in the US). I'm pretty sure the rest off europe don't sent names as caller identfication, but only the number.

Is this right ??? Can all forum users outside the US reply with their specific callerid specification.
        Hi,
        In France there's a option to have name but I don't know if and how it's send.
        For example, my modem receives DATE, TIME, NMBR and MESG (instead of NAME)
        Hope it could help you

Comment

I'm pretty sure that MESG is not of any value for what anyone wants. I suspect that Rien was right that most of Europe doesn't get name as part of Caller ID.

For those that DO get NAME as well as NMBR from their modem, I'd suggest they consider UltraCID. My understanding (and I guess why this came up here) is that UltraCID requires both, so I'm just trying to fill the gap. I'll make it so you can configure my package to either wait for NAME or to proceed as soon as NMBR has been reported.

Steve

Comment

An update for all who may be interested: In response to requests from Rien du Pre I created a modified version of NCID to deal with generic CID-capable modems, and not requiring a NAME field from the modem (but accepting NAME if the modem provides it). He's now using it.

As far as I can tell, nearly all modems use the same format for what they report, so I'd guess that if a modem reports CID, I should be able to interface to it.

I've now made a combined NetCallerID/Modem package. This package supports up to three telephone lines, in any combination of NetCallerIDs and Modems as sources. I've also taken out all the "English only" TTS and made it configurable (it will default to English phrases, but you can replace the phrases via the configuration web page). It has all the features that were already in NCID, and some others that hadn't been posted yet.

I'll be migrating to this new package completely once I get it all tested out. I'll probably be begging some of my standard Beta testers (you know who you are!) to help me give it a work out.

This leaves only the WhozzCID version standing alone. That one will be harder to merge in, but I'm hoping I can find time to do it. Because I don't charge for any of this, I don't "license" anything, and so I have no real idea of who all uses it. If you have any concerns or want to make sure I think about something in particular as I do this overhaul, please let me know.

Steve

Comment

Universal SnevlCID coming soon

Well, it's done. I've merged the three versions of the package, and now have a single package that accepts CID from generic CID-capable modems, NetCallerID, and the multi-line WhozzCalling?4 from CallerID.com.

The package can manage up to 4 lines, either from one WhozzCalling?4 or from any combination of MODEM and NetCallerID devices. It's all configurable via a config web page, and I *THINK* it is fairly intuitive. Of course, it has all the features that were already in NCID.

I'm using it now, and I've got three Beta testers working it over: One with three NetCallerID lines, one with a single Modem line, and one with the WhozzCalling box (four lines).

Unfortunately, the most time-consuming part of this is writing some documentation. I think anyone who's used my CID package before won't have any trouble with it, and migration from NCID or the Modem package is pretty seamless.

Anyway, I will be posting it soon, as a new package (and I'll start a new discussion thread).

Steve

Comment

Steve,

We need to get Rupp to get you your own forum like others

It would make it so much easier since you are great with support.

What do you think

Thom

Comment

Thanks for the thought Thom, but I'm no where near Jon's league. Fact is I *USE* more of his scripts than I've even *WRITTEN*. Anyway, that's OK. Fact is, I think there are too many sub-forums here already (it's REALLY hard to find things sometimes).

Everything I put out is free, so that's another reason I shouldn't have my own forum (although Jon's is Donation-ware, I think I've paid more to him than some of the pay-to-play guys!).

Anyway, I think everyone knows how and where to find me.

Steve

Comment

OK, it's done. The new combined "SnevlCID" package is posted (here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=133636). So, there's bad news (not very), and good news:

Bad news: I won't be maintaining / enhancing NCID any more.

Good news: Who cares?! The transition to SnevlCID is painless (instructions included - two steps), and I'm still here. Everything that NCID did is still in SnevlCID, and it all moves over without any fuss.

The new discussion thread is here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=133635, so I consider this thread closed (HST: Should I do something?). I *WILL* respond to any issues or questions you have, just post them on the new thread or send me a PM.

Steve

Comment

I love your package, great work. Some things that I think that are needed. I was using WafNetCID and alot of things were done with in the script. It also allowed you to modify the script. One thing that I used to do was to mute the audio from my Home Theater system, announce the call, then unmute the audio system. This is not possible with your system. I would like to see a "Post" event, as you have a "Pre" event. I also would like to see a "Post" announcement capability, you have a pre.

Thanks.
                      Thanks,

T.

Comment

Originally posted by Tcassio View Post
                        I love your package, great work. Some things that I think that are needed. I was using WafNetCID and alot of things were done with in the script. It also allowed you to modify the script. One thing that I used to do was to mute the audio from my Home Theater system, announce the call, then unmute the audio system. This is not possible with your system. I would like to see a "Post" event, as you have a "Pre" event. I also would like to see a "Post" announcement capability, you have a pre.

Thanks.
                        Tcassio,

Thanks for the comments. I also used to use WAF-NCID before, and had eventually customized the script so much I had created most of this package, so I just went the rest of the way.

The thing is, you actually *CAN* do exactly what you want to do with my package. Via the "CallerID Announcement Control" device you can turn off my script making the announcement. By writing a short script that is attached to the "New CID" event, you can then handle the announcement yourself using the "CallerID Announcement Text" device, and/or the "CallerID Name" / "CallerID Number" devices. The script can then (in your case) mute the audio before making the announcement, and add whatever you want to the end.

A couple people have done something like this already. I'm going to be posting a kind of "SnevlCID Extras Library" of sample scripts along with step-by-step instructions. I may go ahead and do something that looks kinda like your example just for fun.

ONE NOTE: I want this thread here to be DEAD, so please post comments and requests like this over in the SnevlCID discussion thread (link above). For a couple of reasons: I don't want to miss your comment (!), and I don't want others to think I'm going to be doing more enhancements to the older NCID package. Everything is now in SnevlCID, and moving from NCID to SnevlCID takes two steps and only a few seconds.

Thanks again!
                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X