Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to buy?

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best hardware to use with a w2c modem and a spa 3000 ATA (in Australia) would be.

I have heard mention of two meteor and whozz calling, I have not been able to find much info on either and I just want to make sure I am getting the correct device before I waste another $200-$300.

Thanks for your help

Comment

An update for those who might care:

1) I suggested to Brenton via email that he buy a cheap USB modem just to see try things out, and make sure that the CID reported by the SPA 3000 ATA conforms to what a modem can decode. If anyone here has had particularly good or bad luck in using some cheapo modem, please post your recommendations.

2) I finished a Beta version of the Do-Not-Disturb (DND) management script, and Ian is testing it out. It lets you create and name as many DND phrases as you want, and change them via a script call (which can be put into an event). I'll probably put it in the next Extras ZIP, but if anyone besides Ian wants to use it, let me know and I'll post it separately.

Steve

Comment

Great news. I'm looking forward to try it out. As soon as I rebuild my HS PC...
        It sucks without Homeseer man!!! LOL

<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

Comment

It works great. I was able to use the DND control script to create a new DND phrase and set it as active. I'll post more examples of how I'm using it (hopefully with screenshots) later on, but first i do have a question for those of you that do use the DND feature.

When DND is turned OFF, HS normally picks up the phone on the 2nd ring, and says, "hello, you've reached the McIntosh home, my name is Alfred, I'm here to assist you. At the tone, please speak the name of the person you are calling for." Then there is a tone, and the person speaking the name is recorded. Then Alfred says, "After the tone, please speak your name, so that I may announce your call." tone, and speaking is recorded. Then Alfred says, "Thank you, please hold while I announce your call." The caller hears hold music while we hear a mixture of TTS and the recordings being played.

Anyway, when DND is ON, a caller hears this:

[first part of what is normally said w/out DND:]

hello, you've reached the McIntosh home, my name is Alfred, I'm here to assist you. At the tone, please speak the name of the person you are calling for.

[immediately followed by]

You've reached the McIntosh home, we are currently watching a movie. Your caller ID has been recorded and sent to Ian. We will respond to your call later. Thank you. Good by."

So...first let me say that this has NOTHING to do with the DND control script that Steve wrote recently. What I'm wondering is why is that first part being spoken before the DND part (and how do i fix it).

Thanks!

Ian
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Ian,

I'm willing to bet you have the "normal / recommended" wiring of the W2C, in that it is connected to the telco line, and all of the phones are connected *THROUGH* the W2C. That means that the W2C gets a ring before it rings through to the CID device (NetCallerID?), so it answers before SnevlCID even knows there was a ring.

Since I don't have a W2C, I can only go from what I've perceived in reading other threads here. I believe the reason to wire things this way is so you can screen calls via HS. However, if you are using SnevlCID to do the screening (including DND), you may want to wire the CID device (and your phones?) in parallel with the W2C, instead of through the W2C.

Someone with more W2C expertise could probably say for sure.

Steve

Comment

so running in parrallel would potentially solve the problem? (you're right about the way i'm wired now). and I'd still be able to use the w2c and hsphone for voice control and etc, right?

If i understand what I think you're saying is causing this, then i should makes sure that Alfred answers 1 ring later than NCID, and that could solve the problem, too, right? (as usual, it's probably a setting issue on my part).
              Plugins:
              BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                so running in parrallel would potentially solve the problem? (you're right about the way i'm wired now). and I'd still be able to use the w2c and hsphone for voice control and etc, right?

If i understand what I think you're saying is causing this, then i should makes sure that Alfred answers 1 ring later than NCID, and that could solve the problem, too, right? (as usual, it's probably a setting issue on my part).
                Actually, I bet you need to have it wired the way you currently have it in order to do VR with HS over the phones. I didn't know you were doing that. Anyway, you probably need to keep the phones connected to the W2C.

It does seem to me that you could get what you want by moving the NCID box to the other side of the W2C (the telco side), and then potentially making the setting change you are talking about, having HS wait for a second ring before it does anything. Unless things are slow, SnevlCID should have gotten the CID, decided if it should do a DND, and answered before the second ring.

Steve

Comment

It works great. I was able to use the DND control script to create a new DND phrase and set it as active. I'll post more examples of how I'm using it (hopefully with screenshots) later on, but first i do have a question for those of you that do use the DND feature.

When DND is turned OFF, HS normally picks up the phone on the 2nd ring, and says, "hello, you've reached the McIntosh home, my name is Alfred, I'm here to assist you. At the tone, please speak the name of the person you are calling for." Then there is a tone, and the person speaking the name is recorded. Then Alfred says, "After the tone, please speak your name, so that I may announce your call." tone, and speaking is recorded. Then Alfred says, "Thank you, please hold while I announce your call." The caller hears hold music while we hear a mixture of TTS and the recordings being played.

Anyway, when DND is ON, a caller hears this:

[first part of what is normally said w/out DND:]

hello, you've reached the McIntosh home, my name is Alfred, I'm here to assist you. At the tone, please speak the name of the person you are calling for.

[immediately followed by]

You've reached the McIntosh home, we are currently watching a movie. Your caller ID has been recorded and sent to Ian. We will respond to your call later. Thank you. Good by."

So...first let me say that this has NOTHING to do with the DND control script that Steve wrote recently. What I'm wondering is why is that first part being spoken before the DND part (and how do i fix it).

Thanks!

Ian
                  WOW!
                  Ian, would you be willing to write some "How to" of your setup? How do you release the line (so the caller can speak the names) and then pick it up again with W2C for more instruction? I could never do that!

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                    Actually, I bet you need to have it wired the way you currently have it in order to do VR with HS over the phones. I didn't know you were doing that. Anyway, you probably need to keep the phones connected to the W2C.

It does seem to me that you could get what you want by moving the NCID box to the other side of the W2C (the telco side), and then potentially making the setting change you are talking about, having HS wait for a second ring before it does anything. Unless things are slow, SnevlCID should have gotten the CID, decided if it should do a DND, and answered before the second ring.

Steve
                    Steve,
                    I checked today, and come to find out, the wiring of my NCID/w2c was already line -> ncid -> w2c -> phones.

i tried advancing the amount of rings for HS to pick up on (all the way to 6), but it didn't seem to help. in fact, it still picks on on 1 ring no matter when when its on DND (even if HSPhone is set to 6). It also still does the weird first half of hsphone IVR, then the DND TTS.

any thoughts?
                    Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by Czechmarty View Post
                      WOW!
                      Ian, would you be willing to write some "How to" of your setup? How do you release the line (so the caller can speak the names) and then pick it up again with W2C for more instruction? I could never do that!
                      <DIV_PREFS id=div_prefs></DIV_PREFS>

Marty,

I can't take credit for the HSPhone IVR stuff I'm using. Here's a link to how I got it. Maybe the external_announce ivr will give you some clues for what you're wanting?

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ernal_announce

Ian
                      Plugins:

Comment

Steve,
                        I checked today, and come to find out, the wiring of my NCID/w2c was already line -> ncid -> w2c -> phones.

i tried advancing the amount of rings for HS to pick up on (all the way to 6), but it didn't seem to help. in fact, it still picks on on 1 ring no matter when when its on DND (even if HSPhone is set to 6). It also still does the weird first half of hsphone IVR, then the DND TTS.

any thoughts?
                        DND should pick up after one ring, so that part is correct. In the US, the CID is sent with the first ring (or just after), so that's the best we can do. In the UK it comes in before the first ring, then we could do a *REAL* Do Not Disturb, as you would never know someone was calling at all.

It sounds like HSPhone is thinking it needs to control the speech to the phone line even though my script tells it I'm taking control. I just looked again, and I tell HSP the script has control, pick up the line, wait for 400 mSec, speak, hang up, and reset the line. Doesn't sound like HSP should be speaking first.

Has it always done this?

Steve

Comment

I really can't say if it always has done this or not. It has done it for a long while, but then, I don't usually call ourselves when it's on DND, so my memory is scant.

The way you implemented DND makes sense to me. I bet it would be more likely to have been "broken" by a newer version of HS than a newer version of SnevlCID, but I'm just guessing.

What if the SnevlCID script were able to somehow disable HSPhone when DND is turned on?

Just a thought.

Ian
                          Plugins:

Comment

funny - i just got the email you sent me with a test version that does this, maybe next time i'll read my email first! I'll let you know how it goes.
                            Plugins:

Comment

The test version I sent you does just what you are suggesting: It turns off the answering machine function in HSPhone prior to taking any action under DND.

The main problem (and maybe someone else here can chime in): The script calls that HS provides for this allow me to turn the answering machine ON and OFF, but no way for me to determine *IF* it is on. So I can turn it off, do the DND answer, then turn it back on, but if the user had it off to begin with, it now will be ON.

I don't use the HSPhone answering machine, so I think the test version I sent you will work for you (because you DO use the answering machine), but will mess things up for me (because I DON'T use it). I'll test it here to make sure after I get home from work.

Steve

Comment

Marty,

I can't take credit for the HSPhone IVR stuff I'm using. Here's a link to how I got it. Maybe the external_announce ivr will give you some clues for what you're wanting?

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ernal_announce

Ian
                                Thanks for the link Ian. I will take a look and try to make some "copy/paste/change words" trials.
                                I'm still really bad when it comes to scripting. Actually, are those IVR scripts written in dot NET?

Thanks again!
                                Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X