SnevlCID Package Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too bad,

I'm not overly happy with the idea of moving to HS3, but it seems inevitable. I was and am still happy on 2 but it would be nice if they would fix some of the bugs... Building a new home and will need hs there so I thought I would start figuring it out now.

Still you have been great and CID is perfect for my needs. I hope something will change to let you back in the fold but having seen and read about some of the frustrations elsewhere I am guessing not.

-rick
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
      No, I'm pretty sure it won't. All the device stuff was broken when they decided to do this CAPI junk. I'm not interested in HS3, so I seem to be at the end of the line with Homeseer.

Steve
      No your not Steve, there are still plenty of users out there running HS2 and are not intending changing in the foreseeable future.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Roger that. Every time I see users complaining about version 3 shortcomings, it just reaffirms my decision to stick with Homeseer 2, especially since snevlCID works so well and I use X10 exclusively and have no intentions of switching to Z wave.

Comment

Every time my phone rings one time and disconnects or when I look out the window at my green grass (well... 'greenish' at this time of the year), I thank Steve for his HS2 enhancements.

HS3 offers nothing for me.

Frank

Comment

Opensource ??

Hey Steve - That is a massive shame as SnevlCID and SnevlBB make my HS worth having!

Have you considered open sourcing\posting SnevlCID so that anyone interested in porting the script could take a crack?

I've started to make a simple caller ID HS3 CTI Meteor script, but it has way to go before its running properly and I will never have the time
            to try to recreate the stuff that SnevlCID does so well.

I get that it would have to remain unsupported but my HS3 setup is just rubbish without these two scripts.
            As for Betabrite signs, Blade's done a good job with BLLED but I really miss my SnevlBB Important Dates page and the way it integrates with SnevlCID

I know you didn't make those scripts for financial gain but I'd happily donate if you had a Paypal donations page, definitely. I am sure many other would too.

Both scripts are better than many of the $30 PI's that I never even use now, so I just want to say thank you Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by reggs11 View Post
              Hey Steve - That is a massive shame as SnevlCID and SnevlBB make my HS worth having!

Have you considered open sourcing\posting SnevlCID so that anyone interested in porting the script could take a crack?

I've started to make a simple caller ID HS3 CTI Meteor script, but it has way to go before its running properly and I will never have the time
              to try to recreate the stuff that SnevlCID does so well.

I get that it would have to remain unsupported but my HS3 setup is just rubbish without these two scripts.
              As for Betabrite signs, Blade's done a good job with BLLED but I really miss my SnevlBB Important Dates page and the way it integrates with SnevlCID

I know you didn't make those scripts for financial gain but I'd happily donate if you had a Paypal donations page, definitely. I am sure many other would too.

Both scripts are better than many of the $30 PI's that I never even use now, so I just want to say thank you Steve.
              Geesh, I don't know how I missed this. I was traveling for much of early December, and I think I've determined that the stupid Tapatalk on my phone marks stuff as read if it just tells me it's new. You probably think I was just avoiding the question, but I wasn't. Sorry about that.

I guess I need to think about this. SnevlCID was my first public post of something I had written, and is pretty, ummmm.... embarrassing. My only reason not to post the source is that I'd need to hide. SnevlBB is almost the opposite: I kinda knew what I was doing, and did some cool object-oriented stuff. If only the Homeseer team hadn't made it all irrelevant in their design decisions for HS3. Sigh...

I would guess that UltraCID hasn't tried to tackle the Meteor, but since I did it without ever having one of the devices (thanks to patient feedback from Gogs), I would guess it wouldn't be hard for Ultra to do it. As far as I can tell Blade has done a good job on BLLED. The important dates stuff should be pretty portable (it's just a web page and script, even though the HST guys unnecessarily broke lots of script stuff in HS3), so I would think that would be pretty easy to get working, even if Bob doesn't specifically do something to make it work.

Since I am firmly against HS3 (I can safely say I really dislike what they've done at this point) I guess I have no real reason to continue to hold a close-to-the-chest grip on what I've developed: I'm out of the business, thanks to Rich and Rick. Maybe that means I should just turn loose? I dunno. Let me think about it....

Steve

Comment

All this is so disappointing to read. I have been a HS fan since 1.x and I can't imagine living without it. But with considerable complaints I fear I might have to rethink the entire approach to HA. Since the new home won't be ready for at least a year I have some time but...
                -Rick

Comment

Steve,

Are you out of the home automation business altogether because of HS3, or just plugin/script writing?

If you have found an alternative, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
                    Steve,

Are you out of the home automation business altogether because of HS3, or just plugin/script writing?

If you have found an alternative, I'd be interested in your thoughts.
                    Paul,

I know I won't be doing anything with HS3, and since HS2 isn't getting any more work, I'm hesitant to change anything, as I am pretty certain there are still bugs in there that may manifest themselves if I tweak anything.

I don't think that I am looking to go to something different than HS. I've got an awful lot of automation in this house set up around HS2. It is no longer just a hobby, in that is really managing the house and keeping the WAF fairly high. Going to something else would be starting over. Sadly, it would also be mostly starting over if I tried to go to HS3, since they've made sure almost nothing moves over.

Since I retired from work, it seems like I have lots of other things to do, many of which are not here at home. I see Homeseer as less of a real automation solution, and more of a toy for us nerds. I no longer play with the toy as much. I may still code some for HS2, but I don't see it being much, and I think the interest here on the board will be less and less for HS2 stuff.

Steve

Comment

It is strange, HST going for HS3 and completely abandoning HS1 and 2 users is a bit like loosing an old friend.

Yes HS2 could be moody and temperamental, but was and still is a very good programme, HS3, z-wave excepted, is miles behind HS2 and appears to have taken the wrong turning if it hoped to catch up.

Currently I run HS3 as a slave to HS2 for it's z-wave capabilities and the plan was to move everything over to HS3 apart from Steve's and a few other peoples programmes basically making HS2 the slave. That has been shelved after trying to move scripts over and the problems to get them to run. When I think about the scripts I have triggered by SnevlCID and Location it would be like starting from my first install of HS1.

I agree with Steve's thoughts.
                      sigpic
                      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

@Steve,

Noticed a couple of days ago SNEVL CID quit announcing calls.

Looked at debug logs and see this on the last call.

2015-08-04 14:27:58Z ... Reading config file NCID.ini
                        2015-08-04 14:27:59Z ... SnevlCID: Stopping listening for calls via Homeseer Phone.
                        2015-08-04 14:27:59Z ... SnevlCID has been shut down.

The IVR from the the HS Phone logs appears to be running just fine.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          @Steve,

Mine is still running great. Windows 7 and HS2.

Haven't heard from Steve for quite awhile. I think he might have picked up other interests such as doing some hard retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            @Steve,

Looked at debug logs and see this on the last call.

2015-08-04 14:27:58Z ... Reading config file NCID.ini
                            2015-08-04 14:27:59Z ... SnevlCID: Stopping listening for calls via Homeseer Phone.
                            2015-08-04 14:27:59Z ... SnevlCID has been shut down.

The IVR from the the HS Phone logs appears to be running just fine.
                            Pete,

The only place that message is printed out is when close_port() is called, which is normally only when HS is shut down, and the call is made in your shutdown script. If that wasn't logged during a shutdown, you must be calling close_port somewhere else.

Steve

P.S. Frank is right that I'm working hard at being retired. We spent a month in New Zealand, drove out to the left coast for three weeks, and just got back from a Mediterranean Cruise. It's been a busy year so far.

Comment

Thank you Steve.

Fixed it by removing / deleting the HSPhone.ini and reconfiguring it. It is now working. It was doing the above per debug log with every call yesterday.

Congratulations on your retirement!
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                                Pete,

The only place that message is printed out is when close_port() is called, which is normally only when HS is shut down, and the call is made in your shutdown script. If that wasn't logged during a shutdown, you must be calling close_port somewhere else.

Steve

P.S. Frank is right that I'm working hard at being retired. We spent a month in New Zealand, drove out to the left coast for three weeks, and just got back from a Mediterranean Cruise. It's been a busy year so far.
                                WOW! That does sound like a lot of hard retirement Steve. Way To Go!

Comment

Working...
                                X