Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[script] False sunrise script

Summary:
    The script here isn't much, so this is mostly a summary of the stuff that makes the script work.

The idea: in the winter, by simulating a sunrise culminating on the time you have to get up, you'll awaken better rested and more energetic. Bedside lamps that do this cost up to $100, but you can do it with nothing more than a lamp module or two, and this script.

Except for one thing: you can't turn on a lamp module at a low illumination from off, if it's an ordinary cheapo X-10 module. What you can do is turn the light on, then down to 0%, and leave it there all night. That's what I did at first, but it proved too unreliable. If anything happened to the lamp, or anything else went wrong, the first tickle of sunlight would actually end up being a potent blast of light that would wake us up in the middle of the night. It wasn't worth the risk.

So what I did: buy two of the more expensive two-way lamp modules. (I waited for a voucher and got them for about $15 each.) This script issues the extended commands that ratchet those up from 0 to 20/32 (any more seemed to be too bright even for dawn) over the course of two hours.

Postscript: turns out even this is too much for my wife. I even tried only doing it on the lamp on my side of the bed, but it still woke her up. But when life hands you lemons, make lemonade. The same script, only running a bit quicker and only on her side, now acts as a "light alarm" that wakes her up on nights she needs to get up but I don't.

Version History:
    2002-01-27 v1.0: first upload to new Script Library

Installation:
    This is mostly meant as an example. Put your own devices into it, or use it as a basis for your own script.

Nucleus Home Automation
    Attached Files
    News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more
Working...
X