Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Network Monitor Plug-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Monitor Plug-In

I am aware that there are already a number of network device monitoring plug-ins available, however after trying 2 of these on my system, I found that neither were suitable for my requirements, so at the risk of re-inventing the wheel, I decided to create my own plug-in.

The question "What does this do that the others don't" has been asked before and the easy answer is, "not much really". The main reason I am releasing it for others to use is that I have had good feedback regarding it's reliability. I am trying to create an ultra-reliable Homeseer system and being in full control of my system and plug-ins goes a long way towards this goal. I am now only using 2 third party plug-ins, RFXCOM and Netcam and I intend to replace Netcam with my own CCTV plug-in in the very near future.

The plug-in is finished and when released it will be a free download. A couple of forum users have been helping me with testing during development, however it would be good to have a couple more people to do some final testing before is is made generally available, just in case I have missed something major.

The plug-in has simialar features to the others with the main exceptions of timers and remote shutdown capabilities, although remote shutdown / restart is on my to-do list. A basic summary of features is below.
    • .NET plug-in with very low overhead on the Homeseer server.
    • Monitored devices can be added by IP address, host name or url and can be located on the local or remote networks.
    • Wake On LAN is supported and a MAC address lookup facility is provided on the device configuration page.
    • The polling interval, time to wait for a response, number of failed polls before the device becomes Offline and logging to the HS log file are all configurable on a per-device basis.
    • Devices can be configured to become “Degraded” before becoming “Offline” if the number of failed polls is set greater than 1.
    • A WOL action is provided to wake a device within a Homeseer event.
    • Web based configuration with no access to guest users.
    A PDF manual with screenshots is available here.

If anyone is interested in the plug-in, PM me with your email address and I will send you the download link.

Paul..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sooty; August 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM.
Working...
X