Another Network Plug-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Network Plug-In

I posted here http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=136853 before I realised that area of the forum does not permit replies to posts. Sorry. Perhaps an admin could move that post to here and edit this post accordingly.

Anyway, I would like to thank those who tested my network plug-in and provided me with some useful feedback and suggestions.

The plug-in is in a stable state (fingers crossed) and its available to download Link Removed

The pdf manual is Link Removed which gives full details and some screenshots etc.

This is a free plug-in and as such there is no official support, however I will attemp to fix any reported issues in a reasonable timeframe. Suggestions for improvement and/or new features will also be considered.

Paul..

[EDIT]
    I have removed the dowload links for the plug-in as a very small number of users have reported issues that I believe to be related to conflicts with another plug-in and I am unable to resolve them at the present time.
    Paul..
    Last edited by sooty; October 21, 2009, 03:29 AM.

Many thanks Paul - another top notch product!

This will get quite a few of us out of jail.

David
    ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

Paul,
      Plugin looks very promising.
      I have also testes few others and still not satisfied with what is available.

thanks
      Enver

Comment

This has come at the right time for me. Doonetwork has just failed on me after a long period of reliable service and I can't find why it's not starting.

There does seem to be a minor bug. If you refresh the device configuration page before the plugin has established connection to a new network device it creates a new, identical, Homeseer device.

Thanks for making it available.

Comment

Originally posted by Chak View Post
          Paul,
          Plugin looks very promising.
          I have also testes few others and still not satisfied with what is available.

thanks
          Enver
          Thanks Enver,

I tried to keep it as simple as possible and follow the plug-in design guidelines as closely as possible, so I am hoping that it will be reliable.
          I'm still no good at that html stuff, but I am making progress on the asp front. Moving from windows forms to web based interfaces has caused me to age at about 500% of the normal rate I think

I seem to be on a roll with the coding just now, so I am going to resume work on RFXCharts V2 this week as well.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by billt View Post

There does seem to be a minor bug. If you refresh the device configuration page before the plugin has established connection to a new network device it creates a new, identical, Homeseer device.

Thanks for making it available.
            Can you elaborate on this problem? I have not seen this with this plug-in, but I have seen this duplicate device activity before when creating a new device directly within Homeseer.

Do you mean refreshing the "Add Device" page or the device list page? I can't quite understend why this would happen only before a new device has been polled.

I am happy to take this issue up with you via email, if it would be easier.

Paul..

Comment

This just happened to me as well. Added a bunch of devices the other day, and worked great. Went to add another device, and when it added it, it used a brand new device code. * instead of (. It also added it twice. And now the old ( devices do not show up in the configuration screen. The still exist as actual devices, just not in the plugins list of devices. It only shows the new * device.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by raptorsss View Post
                This just happened to me as well. Added a bunch of devices the other day, and worked great. Went to add another device, and when it added it, it used a brand new device code. * instead of (. It also added it twice. And now the old ( devices do not show up in the configuration screen. The still exist as actual devices, just not in the plugins list of devices. It only shows the new * device.

Thanks
                Well, perhaps I spoke too early about reliability. This problem never reared it's head during testing and I can't re-produce it here. I will check the "house code generation" coding later today and report back.

The house code is generated when you add the first device and stored in the ini file. If the last device is deleted, then the house code entry should be removed from the ini file, effectively being recycled.

The only way I can see for this to happen is that for some reason the plug-in has lost sight of the house code.

Was there a plug-in or Homeseer re-start between the 2 batches of device additions?

A fix for the current problem would be to manually edit hspi_PHNetwork.ini and add the correct house code for the first batch of devices to the key PhNwHC, then delete the devices added in batch 2 from the status screen.

Have you added ay more devices since?

Paul..

Comment

Paul all the main functions work fine. including Firefox support.

Few requests.
                  - Uptime /downtime display
                  - WMI calls (Memory, CPU disk etc)
                  - Integration in RFXCharts with uptime, cpu usage etc.

Comment

Very good plugin. Works fine for 3 days.
                    WOL very useful too.
                    Thanks a lot Paul.

Comment

I have discovered the problem with duplicate devices being created if the page is refreshed after a new device has been added. This is related to the postback of the aspx page. I will fix this later today and post an update.

I have not been able to re-produce the reported issue of a new house code being issued when devices already exist. Perhaps we will have to wait until this happens again.

I have added some extra (always on) debugging to try and detect if this happens.

Paul..

Comment

Thanks,
                        I did some more testing to try and see what was happening.

opening the ini file after you mentioned it below. The Device code was empty. (Probably blank since I had deleted the 2 incorrectly created * devices as you mentioned) As soon as I put it back to ), it brought back all the older devices correctly.

Tried to add a new device again. Same thing happened. It made the new device under the * code.

Went to the ini, and it showed the * as the device code.

not sure why, but I am getting it to repeat.

A little about my devices.. not sure if it matters, but I am skipping codes. Like I put computers on the 10s, laptops on the 20s, routres on the 30s, etc.

I dont think that is it, since it was fine for the 1st 20 devices.

Tried disabling and enableling the plugin, and then restarting homeseer. Still doing the same thing.

It alsmost seems like it is the script is seeing ) as already used and going to the next house code. Even though it is the one using it...

Thanks,
                        Dave
                        Last edited by raptorsss; July 30, 2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by raptorsss View Post
                          Thanks,
                          I did some more testing to try and see what was happening.

opening the ini file after you mentioned it below. The Device code was empty. (Probably blank since I had deleted the 2 incorrectly created * devices as you mentioned) As soon as I put it back to ), it brought back all the older devices correctly.

Tried to add a new device again. Same thing happened. It made the new device under the * code.

Went to the ini, and it showed the * as the device code.

not sure why, but I am getting it to repeat.

A little about my devices.. not sure if it matters, but I am skipping codes. Like I put computers on the 10s, laptops on the 20s, routres on the 30s, etc.

I dont think that is it, since it was fine for the 1st 20 devices.

Tried disabling and enableling the plugin, and then restarting homeseer. Still doing the same thing.

It alsmost seems like it is the script is seeing ) as already used and going to the next house code. Even though it is the one using it...

Thanks,
                          Dave

Dave,

As this seems to be an isolated incident, can you send me an email so I have your email address and I will take it up with you off forum.

I will send you a special version with some extra debugging so we can try and establish what's happening. Skipping devices should not make any difference, that's what I do here.

Paul..

Comment

I have uploaded version 1.0.0.16. See post #1 for the dowload links.

In this version:
                            • Fixed issue where duplicate device could be created.
                            • Added refresh button to the device list page.
                            • Added colour coding to the status column on the device list page to make it easier to read.
                            • Added some extra debugging.
                            Paul..

Comment

Paul,
                              Can you please also add
                              - Color coding in HS status page?
                              - Check Internet connection
                              Last edited by Chak; July 31, 2009, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X