[script] Atomic Clock Sync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[script] Atomic Clock Sync

This script will set your PC's time to the atomic clock/master clock/UTC time - whatever you might call it. Of course there are plenty of utils out there to do it...but when I started looking for one, I decided that I don't want another app running on my pc. So with the help of HomeSeer and the Windows Scripting Host, we have this little guy. I schedule it to run on a once a day event, but feel free to run it as often as possible.

Additional: Figured I'd better say a few things. This will only work for the US time zones, because of the site it pulls from. Speaking of such, be sure and find your specific time zone; go to the site time.gov and select your timezone, then click "disable java". That's your URL; put it in the script.

Technically speaking, I had to use the command interpreter to set the time, because there's no facility to do so in VBS. Why, I dunno. VB does it fine, and I thought a component to set system time was just too silly. Using the scripting host object to shell out was the cleanest kludge I could come up with. If you have a better idea, start a topic - I'm open!

14-NOV-2002 - Script was failing on Win 9x. Seems that the old command interpreter doesn't accept AM/PM format, so I converted the time to 24 hr format. NT/W2k/XP accepts either format.

Atomic clock discussion

[This message was edited by elmo on Tuesday, 19 November 2002 at 10:11 AM.]
    Attached Files
Working...
X