CNN Breaking News script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CNN Breaking News script

Seems like this script is broken? Have the same Breaking News story that won't go away from yesterday. Anybody else using the CNN breaking news script?? Appears that CNN has changed their page and know this script scrapes the page.

Still working for me.

Just got this this moring:

Windermere, Florida mayor: Tiger Woods released from hospital, treated for facial lacerations 11/28/2009 10:45:49 AM

Comment

Same here. Here are my last entries.

11/27/2009 1:42:00 PM=Golfer Tiger Woods was injured in a car accident this morning, the Florida Highway Patrol reports
      11/27/2009 2:21:00 PM=Golfer Tiger Woods suffered serious injuries in a car wreck near his home in central Florida, police said.
      11/27/2009 2:24:00 PM=Windermere, Florida Mayor: Tiger Woods is out of the hospital, treated for facial laceration
      11/27/2009 2:27:00 PM=Windermere, Florida mayor: Tiger Woods released from hospital, treated for facial lacerations
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Maybe I should have been clearer....

I got the same news story but for some reason its not resetting. I have it scroll on the top of the page and usually after an hour or so it stops. Seems like the status is not resetting or something.

Comment

So is it CNN that is not resetting?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            So is it CNN that is not resetting?
            Exactly! Usually after an hour or so the virtual device will reset. Doesnt seem to be happening. Are you guys seeing this?

Comment

I always assumed that the "Breaking News" device variable stays until the next one changes it. Ideally the script could utilize some adjustments and additional variables similiar to what Jon has done with his BBC news scripts (combining both breaking news and top news stories, volume etc).
              Attached Files
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Interesting, the one I've used for years always use to default the virtual device to off after a certain period of time...

Comment

Mine doesn't set a virtual device. It simply contains the last breaking news until a new one is released. I time stamp mine so it doesn't show after a day on my quick view page.

Comment

Interesting I had a few more today and now it is working as expected. Strange how mine will default to OFF after a certain period of time. Pretty sure I'm using the same version you all are....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hearing the latest Breaking News about 10 times and looking at my virtual device staying "On". One or two announcements would be great and I know sometimes it changes...found the piece in the code which tells the application to not announce after already announcing breaking news. Wish it would work correctly.

Code:
                      '
                              '
                              ' Check if we already announced the breaking news
                              '
                              '
                              strOldAlert = hs.GetINISetting(strSettingsSection, "CurrentAlert", "", strIniFileName)
                              dbg("[variable:strOldAlert][" & strOldAlert & "]")
                      		old_alert = Left(strOldAlert,100)
                      		new_alert = Left(body,100)
                              'If body <> strOldAlert Then
                              If old_alert <> new_alert Then
                                  '
                                  dbg("breaking news:[" & body & "]")
                                  '
                                  ' store the alert in the INI
                                  strAlertTime = Now
                                  hs.SaveINISetting(strSettingsSection, "CurrentAlert", body, strIniFileName)
                                  hs.SaveINISetting(strSettingsSection, "CurrentAlertTime", strAlertTime, strIniFileName)
                                  ' save for history
                                  hs.SaveINISetting(strAlertSection, strAlertTime, body, strIniFileName)

If strTriggerEvents <> "" Then
                                      For Each strEvent In Split(strTriggerEvents & ",", ",")
                                          strEvent = Trim(strEvent)
                                          If strEvent <> "" Then
                                              dbg("Triggering Event: " & strEvent)
                                              hs.TriggerEvent(strEvent)
                                          End If
                                      Next
                                  End If
                      Last edited by Pete; December 15, 2009, 04:18 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Bump.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

The old_alert and new_alert was stuff I added to the script specifically to prevent repeats. So it looks like you are using the same code as I am, and I'm not getting the repeats.

Can you take a look in your CNNsettings.ini file and look at the alert that is being added? It should be in the section [CNNAlerts]. I'm curious if it looks like the last several are actually identical.

Steve

Comment

Hello Steve,

They were identical. Thanks for having a look. Here are a couple. Most of the time its just one alert.

12/8/2009 4:57:23 AM=Car bombs kill at least 112 in central Baghdad and wound 198 others
                            12/8/2009 4:54:47 PM=Senate rejects tighter limits on federal funds for abortion in health care bill; limits backed by key Sen. Ben Nelson
                            12/8/2009 7:57:46 PM=Liberal and moderate Democrats have reached "broad agreement" on a health care bill, Sen. Harry Reid says
                            12/10/2009 6:44:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 6:47:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 6:50:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 6:53:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 6:56:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 6:59:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 7:02:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 7:05:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 7:08:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 7:11:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 7:14:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 7:17:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 7:20:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 7:23:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/10/2009 7:26:53 AM=President Barack Obama has received the Nobel Peace Prize.
                            12/12/2009 7:55:31 PM=Alabama running back Mark Ingram wins the Heisman Trophy
                            12/12/2009 10:34:31 PM=Houston, Texas, elects openly gay woman as mayor, CNN affiliate KHOU reports
                            12/14/2009 4:39:56 AM=A court order blocks five Americans arrested in Pakistan last week from being handed over to the FBI.
                            12/15/2009 10:33:56 AM=6 people, including 4 police officers, indicted in fatal beating of Latino man in Pennsylvania, Justice Department says
                            12/15/2009 2:39:56 PM=Evangelist Oral Roberts has died of pneumonia complications, his spokesman said. He was 91.
                            12/15/2009 2:42:56 PM=Evangelist Oral Roberts has died of pneumonia complications, his spokesman said. He was 91.
                            12/15/2009 2:45:56 PM=Evangelist Oral Roberts has died of pneumonia complications, his spokesman said. He was 91.
                            12/15/2009 2:48:56 PM=Evangelist Oral Roberts has died of pneumonia complications, his spokesman said. He was 91.
                            12/15/2009 2:51:56 PM=Evangelist Oral Roberts has died of pneumonia complications, his spokesman said. He was 91.
                            12/15/2009 2:54:56 PM=Evangelist Oral Roberts has died of pneumonia complications, his spokesman said. He was 91.
                            12/15/2009 2:57:56 PM=Evangelist Oral Roberts has died of pneumonia complications, his spokesman said. He was 91.
                            12/15/2009 3:00:56 PM=Evangelist Oral Roberts has died of pneumonia complications, his spokesman said. He was 91.
                            12/15/2009 3:03:56 PM=Evangelist Oral Roberts has died of pneumonia complications, his spokesman said. He was 91.
                            12/15/2009 3:06:56 PM=Evangelist Oral Roberts has died of pneumonia complications, his spokesman said. He was 91.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have also been seeing these repeats for some time now.

Thom

Comment

Working...
                              X