CNN Breaking News script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Steve, thanks again for having a quick look at the script. I believe its one of the oldest and still being utilized HS scripts today by a number of folks.

Here is a quick snapshot relating to debugging of the script test and results of said test.
    Pete,
    You need to replace "main" with "Main". VB.NET is more picky about that kind of stuff.
    Steve

EDIT: I see that the instructions say "main" so I'll fix that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerard View Post
      CNN breaking news is one of the high WAF features but I had to add a button to turn it off for 2 hours at a time.

One day the wife and I were watching the tennis finals on the DVR about 20 minutes delayed so we could skip as usual. Comming down to the end of the final mens game it was neck and neck. Very exciting match and sudenly CNN comes on and anounces the winner before we see it on the delayed DVR. We laugh about it today but not that day!
      Gerard: That's priceless!

Comment

Steve,

Thank-you.

I had to cancel a trip to Estes last week (via Denver) but will be traveling there in the next month or so.

I would like to buy you a beer on my next visit to you area.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I had to cancel a trip to Estes last week (via Denver) but will be traveling there in the next month or so.

I would like to buy you a beer on my next visit to you area.
          Pete,

That would be great! I'm on the road quite a bit too though, so I hope your trip and mine don't overlap.

I got busy with other stuff this weekend (I'm tired and sore!), so it will be another few days for me to post a new version. I've made the code changes to the script, but I need to write some instructions to manually edit the INI file.

Steve

Comment

I posted v3.2 as an update to the CNN Breaking News script, over in my original post: http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...50&postcount=1

Only some minor changes, looking for and avoiding some badly formatted alerts from CNN, a starter INI file, a README file of instructions, and some cleaned up comments at the beginning of the script. For those that already have v3.1 working fine, I'm not sure I would bother with the update. CNN had a couple of messed up breaking news items on their page a while back, which generated some really unhelpful messages in our Homeseer logs. If you didn't see those or if they don't bother you, you can probably stay on v3.1.

NOTE: I don't myself use the email notifications, so I wrote up the instructions based on what the code was doing. If I got it wrong, please let me know.

Steve
            Last edited by stevea; May 2, 2010, 10:43 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks for your continued support of the script Steve.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Not sure if its related to most current beta but been getting these after a CNN news alert.

Scripting runtime error: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.Parameter name: length at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) at scriptcode2.scriptcode2.Main(String strMode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) at Scheduler.VsaScriptHost.Invoke(String ModuleName, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments)
                The email notification goes out, TTS works and variable gets updated. Downgraded to V31 to see if there is a difference.
                Last edited by Pete; May 22, 2010, 05:51 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Arghhh!

Pete,

About what time did you get that in the log? I'm assuming I should be able to find something similar in my log, if it was this script.

It seems odd that everything seemed to work. It appears that I don't catch that error, so the script should have aborted.

Steve

Comment

I added the following to the script (so it might be my fault) but haven't seen any errors with the changes I did in over a week or so. I did this because I was annoyed with the constant wave file / TTS stuttering that I've seen with the betas. Meanwhile downgraded to previous version without the "hs.WaitEvents". It still showing email sent successfully though?

Sub announce(ByVal msg)
                    Dim snevl as Boolean = (UCase(hs.GetIniSetting("snevl","use_snevls_betabrite","no", "CNNsettings.ini")) = "YES")
                    If speak Then
                    If snevl Then
                    hs.RunEx("speaker_announce.vb","BeforeAnnounce","")
                    End If
                    If playwav Then
                    dbg("playing " & wavfile)
                    hs.SetVolumeEx (3)
                    hs.WaitEvents

hs.PlayWAVFile(wavfile)
                    hs.WaitEvents
                    End If
                    hs.SetVolumeEx (3)
                    hs.WaitEvents
                    hs.speak("Your attention please. This is a C N N breaking news alert.")
                    hs.WaitEvents
                    hs.speak(msg)
                    hs.WaitEvents
                    hs.SetVolumeEx (20)
                    hs.WaitEvents

End If
                    ' SNEVL added the following four lines
                    If snevl Then
                    hs.RunEX("bb_funcs.vb","bb_message_a",msg & chr(13))
                    hs.DelayTrigger(120 , "Clear BetaBrite")
                    End If
                    End Sub
                    Here what I see in Ultralog.

5/20/2010 4:34:25 PM Device Control Command sent to News CNN-News: Y10 ON Dimval: 0 Data: 0
                    5/20/2010 4:34:37 PM email Email successfully sent to 5555551212@txt.att.net
                    5/20/2010 4:37:20 PM Error Scripting runtime error: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.Parameter name: length at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) at scriptcode2.scriptcode2.Main(String strMode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) at Scheduler.VsaScriptHost.Invoke(String ModuleName, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments)
                    5/20/2010 4:40:20 PM Error Scripting runtime error: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.Parameter name: length at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) at scriptcode2.scriptcode2.Main(String strMode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) at Scheduler.VsaScriptHost.Invoke(String ModuleName, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments)
                    5/21/2010 12:34:26 PM Device Control Command sent to News CNN-News: Y10 ON Dimval: 0 Data: 0
                    5/21/2010 12:34:31 PM email Email successfully sent to 5555551212@txt.att.net
                    5/21/2010 12:40:20 PM Error Scripting runtime error: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.Parameter name: length at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) at scriptcode2.scriptcode2.Main(String strMode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) at Scheduler.VsaScriptHost.Invoke(String ModuleName, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments)
                    5/21/2010 9:19:24 PM Device Control Command sent to News CNN-News: Y10 ON Dimval: 0 Data: 0
                    5/21/2010 9:19:28 PM email Email successfully sent to 5555551212@txt.att.net
                    5/21/2010 9:25:19 PM Error Scripting runtime error: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.Parameter name: length at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) at scriptcode2.scriptcode2.Main(String strMode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) at Scheduler.VsaScriptHost.Invoke(String ModuleName, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments)
                    5/21/2010 9:28:19 PM Error Scripting runtime error: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.Parameter name: length at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) at scriptcode2.scriptcode2.Main(String strMode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) at Scheduler.VsaScriptHost.Invoke(String ModuleName, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments)
                    5/21/2010 9:31:19 PM Error Scripting runtime error: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.Parameter name: length at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) at scriptcode2.scriptcode2.Main(String strMode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) at Scheduler.VsaScriptHost.Invoke(String ModuleName, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments)
                    5/21/2010 9:34:19 PM Error Scripting runtime error: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.Parameter name: length at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) at scriptcode2.scriptcode2.Main(String strMode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) at Scheduler.VsaScriptHost.Invoke(String ModuleName, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments)
                    5/21/2010 9:37:19 PM Error Scripting runtime error: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.Parameter name: length at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) at scriptcode2.scriptcode2.Main(String strMode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) at Scheduler.VsaScriptHost.Invoke(String ModuleName, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments)
                    5/21/2010 9:40:20 PM Error Scripting runtime error: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.Parameter name: length at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) at scriptcode2.scriptcode2.Main(String strMode) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) at Scheduler.VsaScriptHost.Invoke(String ModuleName, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments)
                    Looked at some older logs and saw that sometimes email wouldn't go out and I would see an email error. Now I do not see the email going out error (rarely) but rather this error. It could be due to the "hs.WaitEvents" statement maybe?
                    Last edited by Pete; May 22, 2010, 10:59 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I added the following to the script (so it might be my fault) but haven't seen any errors with the changes I did in over a week or so. I did this because I was annoyed with the constant wave file / TTS stuttering that I've seen with the betas. Meanwhile downgraded to previous version without the "hs.WaitEvents". It still showing email sent successfully though?
                      Looked at some older logs and saw that sometimes email wouldn't go out and I would see an email error. Now I do not see the email going out error (rarely) but rather this error. It could be due to the "hs.WaitEvents" statement maybe?
                      Pete,
                      Interesting. It looks like it is failing on the time AFTER it does your email and stuff, 3 minutes later. My guess is that what I thought I had fixed, I didn't. Let me look at it some more. Sorry about that.
                      Steve

Comment

Pete,

My UltraLog does show the same error at about the same time as your first one (I didn't check the others, but I'm convinced). So, I need to figure out what is causing it.

I just looked at the code you posted. Your additons certainly shouldn't be introducing any problems, but the extra SNEVL code that is in there should have come out. Once I did Snevl_bb for the BetaBrite, I don't use the stuff that I had hard coded in there. Anyway, I'll take it out of whatever I post next.

Steve

Comment

Thank you Steve.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

v3.4 posted

The Custom_CNN script in the Library thread (here: http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...50&postcount=1) has been updated with v3.4 of the Custom_CNN VB.NET script. Although I only changed a couple of things, most people will find this is a dramatic change in use: It will report MANY more breaking news alerts.

In trying to track down the problems Pete reported above, I decided to do some real digging., I put in some debug, creating a file of data scraped from CNN.com each time an alert was detected (just the relevant section of the page). I ran it for an entire day, and found that over 70 files were created, even though not a single breaking news announcement was made! I started looking at each file, and each one did indeed have a legit breaking news story (although only three unique ones for that day).

In examining the code and each of these files, I found that although the code went through lots of effort to find and extract the news item, it just couldn't handle every case. So I tried a simple approach, and simply stripped out all the HTML. To my amazement, it left only the exact text that I would want to put in the breaking news announcement!

I've run it for a few days now, and Pete has run it for a bit less. It seems to work pretty well, and consistently. I'm certain people will not be missing any breaking news items now. I'll leave it to each of you to decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing....

As always, post any issues or questions here in this threa.

Steve

Comment

I should have mentioned, but forgot: Upgrading to v3.4 only requires dropping in the main script Custom_CNN.vb in place of the previous one in your scripts directory.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve for the update! Its been working well with no issues.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X