Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
    So how are you feeling a year later?

I am hoping that there is enough interest that you or Bill or Blade or Ultra will write an HS3 compatible plug-in or script that all of us with Betabrites can PURCHASE. I have 4 signs and another on the way. Giving up the signs in order to move to HS3 would be a tough call...

......Pretty Please?

Rob
    I'm not sure much has changed with HS3, although I guess it sounds like it may be getting a little more stable. HST has still done nothing in terms of providing a FAQ or other help for moving scripts from HS2 to HS3.

My personal position hasn't changed at all. I have no plans for moving to HS3, in part because of the scripting stuff they intentionally broke. From looking at a poll that Jon00 did, everyone except HST thinks they should put back some simpler device scripting commands. Sounds like pride is getting in the way.

My HS2 is doing lots of stuff that I don't think HS3 can do (in large part because of all my scripts), and I don't have the time or patience to deal with the problems in HS3.

Now, the only good news is that Snevl_BB doesn't use any virtual devices, which is the main thing that HS3 broke for most of my scripts. That may mean that it would port pretty easily, but I am not sure. Obviously the serial port interface on HS3 would have to work pretty much like the one in HS2.

It is hard to believe it has been over a year since the post you quoted. HS3 isn't that much closer to production, if nothing else due to the lack of plug-ins.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by stevea View Post
      Wadenut,

Although I doubt if I will be doing any major changes to it, I'm still supporting Snevl_BB, and use it myself on my two signs. If you hit any snags, just give me a shout.

I'm really glad Bob has taken up this project so HS3 will have something to handle the signs.

Steve
      Thought I'd bring this here rather than keep polluting Bob's thread.
      I've only played a bit with this, and do like the package... very well written doc.

I have run into one snag. Setting the date in the sign; I can't remember the exact syntax at the moment; did correctly set the Month and Day, but for some reason, the sign displays the year as 1998. I've only been able to test with one sign so I'm not sure it's not a problem with that and not the script.
      Ideas?
      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
        Thought I'd bring this here rather than keep polluting Bob's thread.
        I've only played a bit with this, and do like the package... very well written doc.

I have run into one snag. Setting the date in the sign; I can't remember the exact syntax at the moment; did correctly set the Month and Day, but for some reason, the sign displays the year as 1998. I've only been able to test with one sign so I'm not sure it's not a problem with that and not the script.
        Ideas?
        Someone else had almost exactly the same sign. The sign expects a specific format, and as I recall it was MMDDYYYY. I obfuscate all that from the user, and you only have to tell Snevl_BB which sign to set the date on. At first I thought it was a locale issue, where those of us who do MM/DD/YYYY normally were getting it OK but those you use DD/MM/YYYY were not getting it to work. However, once I looked at it I saw that what I was doing was completely independent of locale, so it shouldn't matter at all.

All I can think of is that there may be something wrong with the sign, but I also feel me saying that is just a programmer's excuse... .

I'm not near my source, but when I am able to look at it again I will give it a try.

Steve

Comment

• Glad it's not just me then. I'll try a few different things as well tomorrow or on the weekend. For the record, I'm pretty sure my hs machine is set up as mm/dd/yyyy
          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

• AC output, 5A, 35W supply.
            I have never been able to find 220V-240V supply that outputs AC 7v in the UK, so ran my Model 1040 for years
            on a high wattage UK to US transformer and the Betabrite standard and ancient linear 120v USA power supply.
            Linear PSU's are large and heavy and take up tons of room so this was just not an ideal solution.
            Often you will also get no PSU supplied when you buy these signs from Ebay US so this is great news if you always
            wanted one of these signs.
            I contacted Alpha American the manufacturers to see if I could get a 230V to 7V AC PSU but it is discontinued.
            A new 120v US supply from them will set you back $75 + $45 dollars shipping. OUCH !!! Especially when you'll still need
            a beefy US to UK convertor to use the damn thing!

Even better is the Betabrite Prism, which will run off a standard 5v switching supply with at least a 3 Amp output.
            The only problem is that the connector in to the back of the sign itself is a weird square non-standard connector.
            For my Prism, I did have the original US supply so just cut off the connector and reconnected it to
            the new switching PSU. On my unit the polarity was also reversed in that the red wire was negative and black positive !
            I didn't harm my sign by connecting it the wrong, but 'common sense' way round initially, but the sign was dead as a
            Dodo. When I tested the polarity I was amazed to find that the wiring from the PSU was reversed.
            When I went with red negative and black positive the sign sprung in to life and has worked flawlessly ever since (6 months),
            even on a networked USB port that's 40m away from my Homeseer box

Comment

• Pro-Lite PL-M2014R

I suppose this won't work with the Pro-Lite PL-M2014R. Could it be modified to do so?

Comment

• http://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-Adapt...a+power+supply
                Of course you'd probably have to cut off and swap the connectors if they are different and you need to double check that you have the right 9v polarity with a multimeter.

Is there a problem with the existing PSU? Do you have a decent rated PSU spare just to try out?

Comment

• Sign.

The power supply is not the issue. I got a 9vac plugin off ebay and works just fine. I was just wondering about the communications protocol. It looks simple enough but I don't think it is the same as an Alpha or Betabrite.

Comment

Working...
                  X