Weather Underground script discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Underground script discussion

Post any comments or questions about the Weather Underground script (posted in the script library forum: http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...50&postcount=1) here.

Steve

I haven't tried it yet but do always look at other nearby WUN stations values and it would be nice to be able to pull some down. Today I just upload values to WUN. Got some snow early this morning.

In preparation yesterday took out the snowblower but I have yet to venture outside....
    Attached Files
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,

Here in Denver, it was 60 deg yesterday, and isn't expected to get out of the 30's today. Not any snow in the nearterm forecast though.

Since you mention that you check the weather underground stations: I should have pointed out that it is pretty easy to look at what information is available from each station, just by loading into IE the same XML page that the script pulls. For example, for one of the stations I check, I can just point IE to this address:

http://api.wunderground.com/weathers...?ID=KCOAUROR13

By glancing at this you can pretty quickly see what all information is available. In this case, this station provides wind chill, barometric pressure, wind direction, dew point, etc. I'm guessing lots of people here can figure out pretty quickly how to modify the script to pull other (or additional) data into devices. (Of course, I'm willing to help if needed)

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Thank you for providing this script. It was exactly what I was looking for. I added a few more items like wind gust, wind direction, and precipitation today. It was easy to do, since you had the ground work laid out so well.

I noticed in another thread that you mentioned that you have your own weather.txt script that you customized for pulling data from accuweather. Would you be willing to share that?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by megatron2 View Post
          Steve,
          I noticed in another thread that you mentioned that you have your own weather.txt script that you customized for pulling data from accuweather. Would you be willing to share that?
          Jeremy,

I have no idea what I said in another post (blame the scotch I drink... ), but the only other XML pull on weather I do is from NOAA. I've attached the script I use, but it is very "raw": No docs, and you are on your own. Note that you probably want to get rid of the logging to the database (note also the credit to Michael McSharry in that part of the code), and you'll need your own four-letter NOAA station designator.

If there is enough interest (or if you have enough difficulty - but it sounds like you won't), I can try to clean this up and do a README for it.

Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I just wanted to let you know that in this case it was not the Scotch...

It must have been my Maker's Mark that got me confused with a different Steve on the board... it was Steve Q.

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...04&postcount=2

No biggie... I think I am good with your script and if I need anything more involved (like forecasts) then I will check out Blades weather plugin.

Later...

Comment

Have you seen this? http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...d=1#post987770 I haven't received that letter yet, but if all of you have gotten one I'm sure mine is on the way. Doesn't Weather Underground have something similar? After all, my personal weather station sends rapid fire data to them 24/7; I know I can use at least that data without charge. There's even a script on this board that already uses a little of the wunderground.com XML feed (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=111164) and another one (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ghlight=946350). Perhaps we need to bring all three of these authors together and have WeatherXML use wunderground XML?

Thoughts?
              Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Steve,

I think this came up once before, and althought I can't find the discussion, I believe the conclusion was that BLWeather shouldn't be affected even though it uses Weather.com's XML feed.

Certainly that particular letter from Weather.com doesn't imply any pending limit on Weather underground, but you may be right that there would eventually be some limit to what WUG would be willing to allow. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

As to the idea of bringing these things together, I certainly don't mind one way or the other. I wrote this script just to augment my BLWeather stats with another source, and I don't mind if someone decides to make some franken-script (or franken-plugin) to do it all.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

I am attempting to adapt your "Weather Underground Temperature / Wind Speed Script" to yield "tomorrow's" forecasted data. I am using your script for its intended use for current information. Works perfectly.

This is a piece of your script:

XMLdoc.Load("http://api.wunderground.com/weathers...ntObXML.asp?ID=" & site)
                  Dim book as XmlNode
                  Dim root as XmlNode = XMLdoc.DocumentElement
                  book=root.SelectSingleNode("//current_observation/temp_f")

An attempted modification follows:

XMLdoc.Load("http://api.wunderground.com/api/[api key]/forecast/q/KS/Shawnee_Mission.xml")
                  Dim book as XmlNode
                  Dim root as XmlNode = XMLdoc.DocumentElement
                  book=root.SelectSingleNode("//forecast/simpleforecast/forecastday/high/fahrenheit")

Of course, it doesn't work. I was just hoping that you have messed with Forecasted weather enough to know how to parse the returned data.

Thanks Steve,

Frank

Comment

Frank,

I've just started a two-week road trip and don't have access to my Homeseer environment. With most of this XML stuff, I use way too much trial and error to find a way to parse it. Maybe someone else here can jump in with a more "pure" answer than you would get from me.

Anyway, when I get back home I'll try and take a look at it, if it hasn't been answered here before I get back.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve.

That is what I have been doing: "trial and error". But usually when I do that, I end up getting something close to 'trial and partial success', but not in this case.

I just found another of your scripts that checks KAPA. I figure I will work with that for awhile.

Thanks for the response and have a great time on your road trip Steve. Of course I can't imagine you would be leaving Colorado!

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                        Frank, I use way too much trial and error to find a way to parse it.
                        Steve
                        I took your advice using trial and error and I believe I solved it to obtain tomorrow's forecasted high temp and precip chance.

("htt p//api.wunderground.com/api/[key]/forecast/q/KS/Shawnee.xml")

("//forecast/simpleforecast/forecastdays/forecastday[2]/high/fahrenheit")
                        ("//forecast/simpleforecast/forecastdays/forecastday[2]/pop")

Hope your vacation is going great Steve & thanks,
                        Frank

Comment

Working...
                        X