No announcement yet.

Weather Warnings Script Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I've got it, or at least something to start from. I can add on option to de-dupe any new alert against all the existing alerts, with the following rules:
    1. The warning type, effective date/time, expires date/time, severity, urgency, and certainty have to be identical (or I could let the uesr pick which of these need to be identical)
    2. The warning text itself needs to be identical for the first N characters, where you can specify N on the config page. I might want to make a lower limit for N, so that people don't accidentally throw out alerts that are not actually very similar.
    I'd put the controls for this on the config page as "De-Dupe" filtering, in the same section of the page where the user specifies State(s), Counties, and warning types to ignore.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
      I'm about to release the new script, and would like to know what - if anything - should be done with nearly identical warnings. They are never exactly identical, so...
      Actually the chance we may have at doing something cleaner is to be able to have all the data (all the XML from the page) from an original warning and all the data from a new warning that is pretty much the same and see if there is something in one of the XML nodes that denotes it was a change or update of a previous one. Probably a long shot though.

Maybe for the time being you could temporarily save the contents of every warning you process just to see if there is something we could use to see if it relates somehow to a previous warning.

Comment

I think I've got it, or at least something to start from. I can add on option to de-dupe any new alert against all the existing alerts, with the following rules:
        1. The warning type, effective date/time, expires date/time, severity, urgency, and certainty have to be identical (or I could let the uesr pick which of these need to be identical)
        2. The warning text itself needs to be identical for the first N characters, where you can specify N on the config page. I might want to make a lower limit for N, so that people don't accidentally throw out alerts that are not actually very similar.

I'd put the controls for this on the config page as "De-Dupe" filtering, in the same section of the page where the user specifies State(s), Counties, and warning types to ignore.

Steve
        Yeah, that would work depending on where they update the text in the warning. I think if you can save some warnings to examine what fields are duplicated like you mention above, that would certainly narrow it down and that's probably about the best you can do. People will just need to realize it's not the script causing it and you're doing the best you can do with a less than ideal situation.

The fact that this even needs to be done really stinks!

It's sounds like you've got a good handle on it. I can't wait to see it/test it!

Comment

I was actually grabbing XML from lots of alerts earlier this week, and many/most were the kind of nearly duplicate items we are talking about here. I think the problem is that the warnings are written for an area that doesn't correspond to county boundaries. Here in Colorado, a given county may have terrain boundaries that would result in different but very similar warnings. An couple of examples from earlier this week: I got three warnings for my county, and really the only difference between them was that the predicted snow-fall totals for the storm were slightly different. Another one was a wind-chill warning, and the only differences between nearly identical warnings was the actual minimum temp.

I can look into saving full XML files if debug is turned on, but that will fill up a disk!

Steve

Comment

so i was going to post this but thought of searching first...
            i have been so busy that nothing is setup right so im trying to start small and get it all working...
            Attached Files
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
              so i was going to post this but thought of searching first...
              i have been so busy that nothing is setup right so im trying to start small and get it all working...
              TeleFragger - We've got you covered! Go here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=147339

Steve

Comment

TeleFragger - We've got you covered! Go here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=147339

Steve
                appeciate it !!!!!
                while my motion sensors may not be turning off lights like i want.. still havent got around to that yet.. the weather warnings are nice... and i havent had speakers on my HS server in months.... my speakers have a tie out that goes to my alarm so no speaking is going on at the moment.. but im trying to find the time to fix small stuff...

ill check out that link.. i just noticed that error on mine last night... setup the heat set points for night and day.... and setup my porch light for sunset and sunrise...

so much to setup and so little time!!!!!!!!!!
                HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Weather Warning in WV

I am having a problem with my weather warning program. I have tried to restore it but still no luck. On the weather warning setup page, on the second line where it says county along with a pull down, I have nothing in the pull down. Does any one have an idea. I have been busy lately trying to get everything working again after a long term illness. So any help would be a great help and sorry in advance if I ask stupid questions, or I am on the wrong forum.
                  Thank you.
                  danielbo

Comment

If you look at posts earlier in the thread, you'll see this weather warnings script probably isn't working any longer and I don't think there is anyone around to support it. (I may be wrong on that last part)

I wrote a replacement package, and Ed Tenholder added a really spiffy warnings web page. It's all here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=147339

Steve

Comment

Ironically, Steve, I still haven't used yours, this one is still working for me. I guess the changes I made have worked. I really want to install yours and run them both to compare them, but haven't got around to it. Maybe I'm missing some alerts I would otherwise get with yours, but I am definitely still getting them.

Word of advice to anyone who sees this - use Steve's package from link in the post above. He put a lot of work into it and you would be probably be better off with it than trying to get this unsupported script to work properly. My efforts were only to try to tide us over until something better came along - and indeed Steve's package is that something better.

Comment

Thanks Steve,
                        I had seen your earlier post and even installed your program. But we have been getting some pretty bad weather the last couple of weeks and I didnt get any notices, this is way I was asking. I got email notices but didnt get any verbal warnings.
                        But, I am sure yours will do the job, I will just re install it. I always have had faith in your programs. I found out what was wrong with my call id program, really simple and stupid. The phone line was unpluged from it. Now if I could get me a good program to see my web cams on my droid. Do you know of any? I have tried a lot of them, but no luck on the driod.
                        I do appreciate your help and its the programs are better then the ones I pay for. I would like to say Thank You. I hope I dont upset you when I ask you so many questions, but I dont learn if I dont ask. I just seemed in you last post that you are getting a little tired of my questions, so I will try to back off. All is working fine now. Thanks again, and cant wait to see what you will do next.
                        danielbo

Comment

Dan,

I live close to you and have received many warnings

Thom

Comment

Originally posted by danielbo View Post
                            Thanks Steve,
                            I had seen your earlier post and even installed your program. But we have been getting some pretty bad weather the last couple of weeks and I didnt get any notices, this is way I was asking. I got email notices but didnt get any verbal warnings.
                            Send me your SnevlWeatherWarnings.ini file: snevl at msn dot com

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by GreenAcres View Post
                              Dan,

I live close to you and have received many warnings

Thom
                              I just installed this program the other day, and I guess the weather warnings we had the other day were before the start time for the day. So then I thought I had a way to make it run 24 hours a day. Steve looked at it and said I had done it wrong, so I am waiting on his reply. I had it starting at 8:30 am and ending at 8:29 am. I am really confused more then normally now. Thank you for your information and I am always open for suggestions. It doesn't look like we are up to any bad weather for a few days.
                              Dan
                              danielbo

Comment

Working...
                              X