No announcement yet.

Snevl_WW Weather Warnings discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ED's page had no support for loading the hsheader and footer. This is all I added, also there were directories made that did nothing but foward back to your pages, I just try to keep the clutter down..

One small change.

Thom

Comment

Originally posted by GreenAcres View Post
      ED's page had no support for loading the hsheader and footer. This is all I added, also there were directories made that did nothing but foward back to your pages, I just try to keep the clutter down..

One small change.

Thom
      hsheader has already been added for next release. Will add the footer as well.

Please let me know what else you would like to see.

tenholde
      tenholde

Comment

That is very strange. Could you look into your registry (RegEdit) and tell me what is there for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/HomeSeer Technologies/HomeSeer 2/
        Key: Installdir

That should be the directory that HomeSeer points to for your installation.

tenholde
        Here is what it says--
        Key: Installdir---C:\Program Files\HomeSeer Speaker\

Thanks,
        Tim
        FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by fungun View Post
          Here is what it says--
          Key: Installdir---C:\Program Files\HomeSeer Speaker\

Thanks,
          Tim
          This is a potential problem for your installation. Any plugins that install per the HomeSeer standards will look at this registry key for installation location.

Are you running the installer on the computer where your production homeseer is installed?

If so, did you perhaps run an install of just the speaker app on the computer where you production HomeSeer is installed ( ie, first installed full homeseer, and then ran just a speaker install on the same computer)?

tenholde
          tenholde

Comment

Are you running the installer on the computer where your production homeseer is installed?---Yes

If so, did you perhaps run an install of just the speaker app on the computer where you production HomeSeer is installed ( ie, first installed full homeseer, and then ran just a speaker install on the same computer)?--May have, can't remember, been so long ago.

Thanks,
            Tim
            FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Version 2.1

The web page has been updated. Version 2.1 Notes:

> Improved overall appearance

> Default displays HomeSeer header and footers -- can be turned off via URL parameters: hsheader=n and hsfooter=no

> Updated documentation

A zip file with just the updated files (web page and documentation) is located at:

http://www.tenholder.net/temp/SnevlW...rnings_2.1.zip

Sample Page

tenholde
              Last edited by tenholde; February 16, 2011, 10:54 PM.
              tenholde

Comment

Before I install this one....

Please tell me you removed the extra directorys that just have redirect files in them.

Thanks

Thom

Comment

Green Acres:

I am really sorry that these two extra files (and one extra folder) are disturbing you so. We went to a little trouble to provide backward compatibility for some that may not be as experienced as you. At some point, we will probably drop them from future installation packages.

The zip file I posted has just two files in it that replace two existing files (the web page and the documentation file), as I said in my post.

Steve and I have given significant consideration to how to distribute updates to either or both products. There are multiple files in multiple folders, and it might be a little daunting to someone that just wants Weather Alerts available. Currently, full installation packages include:

Our goal is to make available the effort that each of us has put into this for others to use. We have NOT compiled or encrypted code so that you can use it as a basis for your own projects. Please feel free to do so.

We have committed to work together on our two pieces of this project to simplify installation for all. There will be some that just want to install and use it, and others that will want to modify it for their own use.

We struggled with the question: should future installations overwrite all current files or skip installing over any file that has been changed by the user. Our concern is that if we selectively install pieces, we may create a support nightmare for ourselves.

Our proposal is this:

> Any major installation package will include all files and will overwrite any existing installation. As usual, backup your stuff before upgrading.

> Minor changes that do not affect multiple programs (like the one I distributed a few minutes ago) will be posted as simple file replacements. Full installations will eventually incorporate all such minor changes. This is so a new user doesn't have to install the base and then multiple updates.

> This will work well for most that are users of the programs. Steve has intentionally approached this as a base to do all of the difficult parsing of the NWS data, and make it available for others to use in multiple situations. I just added one such use: a web page to display current alerts.

> For those that want to do their own thing, or make significant modifications, we encourage that. Just rename your versions to something else if you do not want to install new releases on top. That way, you can install new releases, look at the changes, and incorporate whatever you want into your own codebase.

> We encourage suggestions on how to improve these programs, and we will try and be as responsive as possible.

> We also encourage you to share with us any stuff you are doing that might be incorporated for others to use. We are willing to do that as well.

I spent the time to post this information, because we have spent time discussing this and would like everyone that is using or considering using the programs to comment on the proposed approach. We are willing to consider other approaches.

Thanks,

tenholde
                  tenholde

Comment

hmmm well im installing windows updates and need to reboot..

however i just ran the installer on pg1 and i have nothing in plugins/ setup/interfaces.... so i am not sure what happened...
                    more to come
                    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

There is no plugin. It is a script.

html/SnevlWeatherWarnings/Docs/SnevlWeatherWarnings.pdf

tenholde
                      tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                        There is no plugin. It is a script.

html/SnevlWeatherWarnings/Docs/SnevlWeatherWarnings.pdf

tenholde

thank you i found it prior to reading your post...

appreciate you guys working together on this.. looks nice....

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I love Steves pacakges because they are easy to update and are made that when you need to just update one file you can. I use his caller ID packages and certain files I do not update.(Web Pages) When I installed this auto installer it installed in the speaker folder, script folder and image folder.

My registry entry points to c:\Homeseer

This is why I asked about the file list. I was not out to down the installer but Homeseer can be a nightmare to manage when you have files in places they are not expected.

I have never installed any of you stuff before and every time I went to the web page link I was told that the files were moved.

I was just asking to ensure that they installer issue was fixed as I see someone else saw the same issue with placing the files in the proper place.

Thanks For All Your Hard Work TenHolde!

Thom

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                          Green Acres:

I am really sorry that these two extra files (and one extra folder) are disturbing you so. We went to a little trouble to provide backward compatibility for some that may not be as experienced as you. At some point, we will probably drop them from future installation packages.

The zip file I posted has just two files in it that replace two existing files (the web page and the documentation file), as I said in my post.

Steve and I have given significant consideration to how to distribute updates to either or both products. There are multiple files in multiple folders, and it might be a little daunting to someone that just wants Weather Alerts available. Currently, full installation packages include:

Our goal is to make available the effort that each of us has put into this for others to use. We have NOT compiled or encrypted code so that you can use it as a basis for your own projects. Please feel free to do so.

We have committed to work together on our two pieces of this project to simplify installation for all. There will be some that just want to install and use it, and others that will want to modify it for their own use.

We struggled with the question: should future installations overwrite all current files or skip installing over any file that has been changed by the user. Our concern is that if we selectively install pieces, we may create a support nightmare for ourselves.

Our proposal is this:

> Any major installation package will include all files and will overwrite any existing installation. As usual, backup your stuff before upgrading.

> Minor changes that do not affect multiple programs (like the one I distributed a few minutes ago) will be posted as simple file replacements. Full installations will eventually incorporate all such minor changes. This is so a new user doesn't have to install the base and then multiple updates.

> This will work well for most that are users of the programs. Steve has intentionally approached this as a base to do all of the difficult parsing of the NWS data, and make it available for others to use in multiple situations. I just added one such use: a web page to display current alerts.

> For those that want to do their own thing, or make significant modifications, we encourage that. Just rename your versions to something else if you do not want to install new releases on top. That way, you can install new releases, look at the changes, and incorporate whatever you want into your own codebase.

> We encourage suggestions on how to improve these programs, and we will try and be as responsive as possible.

> We also encourage you to share with us any stuff you are doing that might be incorporated for others to use. We are willing to do that as well.

I spent the time to post this information, because we have spent time discussing this and would like everyone that is using or considering using the programs to comment on the proposed approach. We are willing to consider other approaches.

Thanks,

tenholde

Comment

Has anyone pointed out the spelling error on the configuration page? Down at the bottom in the columns for the 5 alerts, the next to bottom field has the caption of "Intruction"?

Thanks again for all the fine, hard work on this everyone!
                            Steve
                            Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

All,

Sorry I've been disconnected all day. There's good dialog going on here. As Ed said, he and I are working hard to try and make the package just what everyone wants. It's kinda ironic, but the two redirects were meant to avoid having lots of people confused and complaining about the fact that we moved the files. Oh well. That didn't work so well.

spknapp: Good catch on the misspelling of Instruction. It'll be fixed in the next version.

I'm still working on Ed to spell my nickname right: It's Snevl, not Snevel . But since neither spelling is an actual name, I guess I can't complain.

I'll be back home (with access to my scripts and HS server) on Saturday.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by spknapp View Post
                                Has anyone pointed out the spelling error on the configuration page? Down at the bottom in the columns for the 5 alerts, the next to bottom field has the caption of "Intruction"?

Thanks again for all the fine, hard work on this everyone!
                                Steve

maybe he was going to sneeze when typing that and pinched the nose... hence the intruction!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X