No announcement yet.

Environment Canada Weather/Weather Warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the plugin supports warnings. It creates a device which uses the string to display the warning message and the value to determine if there is a warning.

You can monitor the value (0=no warning / 100 = warning) and take action on the device changing (email it / send message to XBMC etc) using a script.

I just posted a new version that supports the French atom feeds. Consider this beta...

The plugin has a "parse" configuration page which allows the user to pick a suitable image for the text received in the forecast. As this is not hard coded it can be used for both the English and French feeds.

Comment

HS3 version of the original package now available.
      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Hi, can not have the C W85 ?? When I ask her temperature, ca said: Example, -12.5 C, I would only 1-12.5, possible ??
        thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Loup View Post
          Hi, can not have the C W85 ?? When I ask her temperature, ca said: Example, -12.5 C, I would only 1-12.5, possible ??
          thank you
          Excuse me, W84

Comment

thank you
            Excuse me, W84
            Generally, the script can only speak what it sees in the device string; and even then, what is heard can be entirely dependant on the particular voice in use. It does attempt, wherever possible, to expand on things like -12.5 C to read "minus twelve point five degrees Celcius" (or the French equivalent) instead of saying "minus twelve point five C". The syntax given by Environment Canada isn't always quite standard either from one location to another. This is why I added the facility to substitute user defined speech strings for what's found in the device string. Look at the [SUBSTITUTION] section in the INI file; this may help you.
            That said, I do have some more work to do with the HS3 variant, which is also going to mean some changes for HS2 for the sake of modularizing the script so that the HS version specific code can be separated. When I'll get at this I can't tell at the moment, but I will keep this in mind and see what more I can do about your request.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
              Generally, the script can only speak what it sees in the device string; and even then, what is heard can be entirely dependant on the particular voice in use. It does attempt, wherever possible, to expand on things like -12.5 C to read "minus twelve point five degrees Celcius" (or the French equivalent) instead of saying "minus twelve point five C". The syntax given by Environment Canada isn't always quite standard either from one location to another. This is why I added the facility to substitute user defined speech strings for what's found in the device string. Look at the [SUBSTITUTION] section in the INI file; this may help you.
              That said, I do have some more work to do with the HS3 variant, which is also going to mean some changes for HS2 for the sake of modularizing the script so that the HS version specific code can be separated. When I'll get at this I can't tell at the moment, but I will keep this in mind and see what more I can do about your request.
              When I ask her temperature, it is not 10 but moin minus 10, the french moin is said in english. We can correct ??

Comment

When I ask her temperature, it is not 10 but moin minus 10, the french moin is said in english. We can correct ??
                Always correct we can.
                But first...

Does the word "minus" appear in the device string you're trying to speak? If it does not, then it's your Voice making that translation and there's little I can do about that. If the word does appear in the text, then I may have written this into the code inadvertently without considering the French. If so, I can fix that.

The speak routines actually don't presently use the word substitution. I'll look into adding that function so that this won't bite us again.

Again, it's going to be a while before I can get to this and provide an update. I'm currently working with the text of various weather warnings/statements. EC has changed something there and with the on again, off again nature of these warnings, coupled with the seemingly varied nature of them, it's been a little difficult to track down.

Comment

I thought it was the warning that was mistranslated but no, this is the - is said minus. When he see - he said minus.

Comment

Comment

Yup. OK, that is definitely my fault. I'll fix it ASAP.

Comment

I should be able to get to this project within the next few days. I want to clean up all the known issues at that time.

They are:
                        1. Hyphen (minus sign) sometimes translated inappropriately to the word "minus" in device strings.
                        2. Grouping of devices in the HS3 version.
                        3. Remaining issues with weather warnings/statements. These will be presented in a separate device regardless of the setting of "FullWarningText". I've yet to determine whether or not this option is still required. This will make things easier when trying to design HSTouch pages containing the warnings or statements when present.
                        4. Restructure the script to make it easier for me to maintain two versions; HS2 & HS3.
                        5. Add text Substitution options for spoken announcements.

If there are other issues, now would be the time to report them.

Comment

Ability to speak several different places. Possible ??

Comment

If you mean to collect and manage data from multiple EC sites... Not possible.
                            If you mean to speak to multiple speaker clients, this is already built in. See the docs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                              If you mean to collect and manage data from multiple EC sites... Not possible.
                              If you mean to speak to multiple speaker clients, this is already built in. See the docs.
                              Perhaps I spoke too quickly on this. I thought about it, and it might be possible with little or no effect on current usability, to track multiple EC web locations.
                              First however, I intend to complete work on the current ToDo list, then I'll look into implementing such a facility.

Comment

You shall have your wish. Not two, not three, or even four locations; but as many as you want. You could conceivably have a separate set of devices for every location in the country, in both official languages if you like.

Comment

Working...
                                X