No announcement yet.

Environment Canada Weather/Weather Warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's nothing in the script which would do that. The only difference is that Humidex and Windchill don't have the degree symbol in them which I expand to "degrees". I think I can do the same with "-" => "minus"

One more test.
    Run this immediate script:
    & hs.Speak "The temperature is -8"
    then
    & hs.Speak "The temperature is -8.8"

My bet is it's your voice. I'll see if I can compensate for that.
    Looks like a busy day tomorrow.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

• You nailed it...

Comment

• Originally posted by htrdlicn View Post
        I Broke it...

Now it's saying:

The Temperature is -1.5 degrees celcius, which in the wind, feels like-8.

Feels like eight...
        OK I have that one done.
        Let me go over everything in the morning. It's bedtime now.
        I also have Robert's problem to look at. I'll likely have something uploaded by about 10AM your time.

Comment

You nailed it...
          Had to be. It should be easy to deal with.

Comment

• V1.23 is available.

v1.23 is posted. It mainly affects speech for some TTS voices.

@ Robert:
            I've taken care of "Distant Precipitation".

@ htrdlicn:
            I think your speech should be OK now. I've expanded "-" to "minus", "+" to plus, "%" to "percent" and "." to "point" (when it occurs as part of a number). This only affects speech.

I don't know what to do with the html in the device strings.
            These are the options I've thought of:

1 - Provide a subroutine to return the stripped text to the original device. This would work as such: You call the sub from an event you create with the device code you want cleaned as an input. Then immediatly push that Device String to your phone. The string would return to normal on the next download.
            OR
            2 - Using the same Sub from option 1, return the stripped string to a separate device. This device would always contain the last string you'd called. The device would be optionally created (for those of us who don't need it). I think this might be preferable to option 1, in case the download were to occur at the same time. [ I think of all these options, this is the best choice ]

3 - Use an additional set of devices to contain the stripped down strings. But if we go that way, we'd need to duplicate all of the devices as someone would want this or that device to be clean. I'd prefer not to do this and probably won't.

4 - When "no graphics" is selected (ie. size = 0), use no HTML at all in the string. In this case, you'd sacrifice having any graphics displayed on the status page.

The discussion is open to everyone. Which option is preferred?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
              4 - When "no graphics" is selected (ie. size = 0), use no HTML at all in the string. In this case, you'd sacrifice having any graphics displayed on the status page.
              The discussion is open to everyone. Which option is preferred?
              Personally, I would rather not have the images, So I was happy to find size=0 as an option. That's the way I have it set.

But there is still the < font > {/b } in there, and that is what I have been removing from your script. I guess once it's final, I can do it one last time - No Big Deal.

Comment

Personally, I would rather not have the images, So I was happy to find size=0 as an option. That's the way I have it set.

But there is still the < font > {/b } in there, and that is what I have been removing from your script. I guess once it's final, I can do it one last time - No Big Deal.
                I can supress the html along with the images then. That's pretty simple.
                Look for 1.24 coming soon
                Actually, originally I hadn't planned to have images at all. It was to be a bare bones package, but most people want them, so that's why I made them optional. The bold text was my idea. My eyesight isn't what it used to be.

How's the speech now?

Comment

• Can't tell until I get home.

Comment

• 1.24 by request.

Should be good.
                    I'm uploading 1.24 now.
                    It turned out to be easier than I'd thought to remove the HTML.

A new option in the Configuration Secrion:

"NoHTML"

If TRUE: Device strings will contain only plain text & no graphics.
                    If FALSE: Devices are presented with graphics and formatting as before. Default is FALSE.
                    Last edited by Wadenut; December 2nd, 2011, 12:08 PM. Reason: Retracted erroneous stement

Comment

• It's Flawless!

I have no other words...

Comment

• Awesome!
                        Hey! Next time you're in Brownlee, say hello to my sister, Estelle.

Comment

• You from here or is she from there?

Many thanks, The crazy things I could code if I had you on staff...

Comment

You from here or is she from there?

Many thanks, The crazy things I could code if I had you on staff...
                            She's from here. She and her ex went out chasing oil and never returned. Why they eventually settled in Brownlee (pop. 50), I'll never know. I've never been out there but plan to drive out someday. I have a number of relatives in Alberta as well.

Comment

• (almost) flawless.

I was working on sending the weather warnings to our iPhones via Prowl and so I set my weather location to ab-62_e which currently has some blowing snow.

The device (w10) updated as expected, and the notice was sent out via Prowl no problem, But the announced notification was "The weather advisory has ended for this area. Have a nice day."

Comment

• Adding French likely messed with that.
                                I'll go to ab-62_e now and get it taken care of.
                                Thanks for the info.

While I think of it...
                                Since you're moving around so to speak. Would it be handy to be able to read the location code from a device string? You could then just set this device string from some event or an external method and the next download would be from that site.

Comment

Working...
                                X