No announcement yet.

Environment Canada Weather/Weather Warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
      Just a note.
      You may, from time to time, see a message in the log something like this:
      "EnvCan Weather: Found no graphic for: xxx"
      (Where xxx is a type of weather condition)
      This shouldn't be too obtrusive. Actually, this was debug code I forgot to remove, but it may yet serve a purpose.

If/when you see this, I'd like to know.
      I've scoured the web for Icons to use with the script, but there are no doubt going to be a few missing. If you can also make a suggestion for a graphic to fill in the gap, it would be appreciated. The file should be a small GIF (0-5kb max), preferably with a transparent background.
      Greg,

FYI, I got one of those messages in my log.

01/12/2011 10:30:00 AM EnvCan Weather Found no graphic for: distant precipitation
      01/12/2011 11:00:00 AM EnvCan Weather Found no graphic for: distant precipitation

What's distant precipitation?

Rob
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Env Can is full of surprises. I'd never have thought of that one.
        Was that in the "Current Conditions" or the "Short Range Forecast"?

"What is distant precipitation?" You might well ask... How distant is distant? Toronto is distant from where I sit.

Which reminds me of the story of the two blonds looking up at the moon.
        "Which is closer?", one asks. "Toronto or the moon."
        "You fool!" the other responds, "You can't even see Toronto from here!"

I'll have to see if I can find an icon for that one. (Perhaps the moon with the CN Tower behind it.)

Comment

I wasn't going to mention it here because it was a bit of a faux pas; but while I'm here...
          I had to upload a minor revision yesterday. I'd messed up on the new event and called the wrong sub name. I'd also somehow broken the Advisory Sub in the process. All working and fully tested now.

I'm abandoning the idea of moving the config out of the script as well. It only saves a couple of K and isn't worth while.

Other than adding the odd keyword, and unless there are any other ideas, I think it's about finished.

Comment

Dash9

I'm getting a "dash" 9 for the windchill...

"The Temperature is -2.9 degrees celcius, which in the wind, feels like -9."

It says:

"The Temperature is -2.9 degrees celcius, which in the wind, feels like dash 9."

Comment

There's more...

Environment Canada RSS Says:

< description > Sunny. Windy. Low minus 10. High plus 2. Forecast issued 4:00 PM CST Thursday 01 December 2011 < / description >

Homeseer Says: (Sunday, The wind y)

Speak ():Long range forecast: friday night: cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries early in the evening. clearing near midnight. The wind northwest 30 kilometers per hour becoming light overnight. low minus 13. saturday: a mix of sun and cloud. high plus 1. sunday: sunny. The wind y. low minus 10. high plus 2. monday: sunny. low minus 14. high minus 4. tuesday: sunny. low minus 4. high plus 2. wednesday: sunny. low minus 11. high minus 9.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdlicn View Post
                I'm getting a "dash" 9 for the windchill...

"The Temperature is -2.9 degrees celcius, which in the wind, feels like -9."

It says:

"The Temperature is -2.9 degrees celcius, which in the wind, feels like dash 9."
                There's more...

Environment Canada RSS Says:

< description > Sunny. Windy. Low minus 10. High plus 2. Forecast issued 4:00 PM CST Thursday 01 December 2011 < / description >

Homeseer Says: (Sunday, The wind y)

Speak ():Long range forecast: friday night: cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries early in the evening. clearing near midnight. The wind northwest 30 kilometers per hour becoming light overnight. low minus 13. saturday: a mix of sun and cloud. high plus 1. sunday: sunny. The wind y. low minus 10. high plus 2. monday: sunny. low minus 14. high minus 4. tuesday: sunny. low minus 4. high plus 2. wednesday: sunny. low minus 11. high minus 9.
                Thanks for the report.
                The second one, I can understand. The first might be a challenge.
                I'll look into both in the morning.
                In cases like this it would be helpful if possible to save a copy of the XML causing this. That way I can use it to debug.
                This line in the config section (Set to TRUE) will do it:
                "Dim SaveXML As Boolean = FALSE ' Save the XML file for debugging purposes. Normally leave FALSE"

What is your location code. It's data may be formatted differently. Perhaps I'll be able to reproduce the problem.

Comment

XML Attached

And now one that is not all effed up.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I would like to know if there is anyone actually using this script with the French language. This code is responsible for some of the problems we're having. If I get no response within a few days, I'll assume the answer to be "No" and will remove this facility from the script.

Comment

XML Attached

That was quick. Thanks.
                      The "wind y" comes from trying to avoid having the word "wind" mispronounced. I think I have it repaired now, but will have to test.

Comment

Please post the change...

I've just de-html-ed the script, I push notifications and react on the data, and having to filter out the +"< / b ></ font >"'s is a pain.
                        Attached Files

Comment

XML Attached

I went directly to EC and got it.
                          Does it always pronounce the -x as "dash"?
                          If this is the case, it's a voice problem, and I may need to deal with the - sign by expanding it to "minus".

Currently it's -8, which my voice pronounces properly as minus 8.
                          I was thinking there might be a space in there but there's not.

Comment

I Broke it...

Now it's saying:

The Temperature is -1.5 degrees celcius, which in the wind, feels like-8.

Feels like eight...

Comment

Ok, Fixed that...

Yes, Always says dash 8 for windchill...

Comment

To clarify, the real temperature AND dewpoint say minusX, it's only the windchill that is dashX

Comment

Working...
                                X