cnn headline news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cnn headline news

I have a script that Rupp helped me with years ago that announces the headline news as I get ready for work in the morning. The device now populates with way more news story then I want to hear. Can this script be modified to announce only the first 10?

PHP Code:
    sub main()

hs.Speak "The news from C N N"TRUE 
    FirstSplit 
    Split(hs.DeviceString("v11"), "<br><br>")
    For 
    0 To UBound(FirstSplit) - 1
        NewsSplit 
    Split(FirstSplit(i), ">")

sFinalNewsSplit Replace(NewsSplit(1), "</a""")

hs.Speak  sFinalNewsSplitTRUE
       hs
    .WaitSecs 1.5
    Next 
    end sub 
    John

Try changing For i = 0 To UBound(FirstSplit) - 1 to
    For i = 0 To 10

Changing the 10 to what ever number you want.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks Rupp

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Try changing For i = 0 To UBound(FirstSplit) - 1 to
      For i = 0 To 10

Changing the 10 to what ever number you want.
      John

Comment

Is there a reference to the original script ... I can't see where this is calling the CNN site to retrieve the news

Comment

yes, i woudl love to have the whole script for my use, can someone repost it?
          detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

I have a modified version that I translated to .NET some time ago and included in my Snevl_bb Beta Brite script package. When the headlines expanded to about a hundred, I made a mod similar to what Rupp suggested in this thread.

I'm at work right now, but will find it when I get home and post it.

Steve

Comment

great cant wait to try it.
              detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Sorry I'm late. This was a tough day at work. My office is about a mile from the Aurora theater where all hell broke loose last night, and the company had us on a mission to verify the status of 744 employees and their families. This was made harder because we nominally have every other Friday off, and this was an off day (although, only about half of the employees take it off). The good news is that as far as we can tell everyone was not affected, although there were a handful that were not at work and we couldn't track down (most were on pre-planned vacations).

As for the CNN headlines: I found my version. As I said, I converted it to VB.NET and modified it to post the headlines on my Beta Brite sign. I also removed anything about announcing the headlines. Since I don't have the original script, I wasn't sure of the specifics of how the original script did the announcements, but now that I look I can see it at the top of this thread. I'll assume that tells me enough, and I'll try and get something posted here tomorrow.

Steve

Comment

Ok, I created a new version of the script to do what seems to be desired here. I posted it in the library thread here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=155094, and discussions about that version should be in the associated discussion thread (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=155095).

Steve

Comment

Steve,
                    Very sorry to hear what happened in Aurora. Can't imagine what everyone there must me going through. Very good company, yours, to be so caring about its employees and have such a quick and responsive Crisis Management plan.

Thank you for the script. I have actually download the old one about a week ago, but never had time to install. Will install the new release. Thank you again for time and sharing your skills.
                    Tom
                    Tom
                    baby steps...starting again with HS3
                    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Tom,

I didn't know the old one was still around, based on the questions here. Not sure I should have posted a new one. I hope no one is offended, since I didn't coordinate with anyone.

At times my company seems pretty compassionate. They've been pretty busy taking away benefits for the past couple of years, with very little explanation. I guess all companies have been doing that. As a manager, I'm sometimes left with trying to explain to my best employees why things are happening.

The shooting has left lots of people walking around like zombies. It's pretty sad this kind of thing can happen in a civilized society.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X