Snevl Latitude Version 2 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevea View Post
    If you have some specific things you want to try, let me know and I'll try to show you some examples. You can either post here, or send me an email at snevl at msn dot com.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I really appreciate it. I'll play around when i have a chance and report back if I have questions.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by matt91 View Post
      Thanks Steve. I really appreciate it. I'll play around when i have a chance and report back if I have questions.

Matt
      If you are using Btraced, or any other App that reports direct to HS, and you have a resonable 3G or wi-fi where you live, you can have your presence near to home het HS to do lots of things such as turn on lights, start playing music and the one I like is announce to the wife to pour me a glass of wine/beer and be standing at the door to greet me.

Somehow the last one does not seem to work very well! Need to get a Robot.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Each of the person-to-place distance devices is updated in two ways. First, if the person is "near" the place, the device is turned ON, and when the person moves away from it the device is turned OFF. You can trigger events using status change on these devices to do something when the person either becomes near or has left the place. Second, each device has the distance from the place in the device value.
        I think that this is part of the equation that I was missing. I only ever saw distances for these devices, and didn't realize that they turned on or off "behind the scenes."

Comment

Originally posted by simonog View Post
          A plea for an Android version.....!
          Maybe others already knew this, but I was just looking at the Btraced www site, and they have this posted:

We are working on an Android version, available soon!
          also, a forum announcement:
          http://www.btraced.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=421

Alas, it's from March, but just wanted to share on here for those Android users who had been looking for it.

Comment

Well, this isn't good news for those who use Google Latitude:

http://www.androidcentral.com/google...medium=twitter
            Last edited by matt91; July 10, 2013, 06:42 AM.

Comment

I saw that, I just switched over to using BTraced and notified the retired Aug notice. I suspect there will be lots of annoyed people and pointless apps.
              HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

I wonder if Steve is going to let this script die with Google Lattitude or just migrate it over to Btraced.

I tried Btraced but was unhappy with the battery drainage on my Iphone. Now I will have no choice but to use Btraced come August. Im hoping I can adjust the settings properly and save my battery from its daily need for recharge.

Maybe its time to finally put in Jon00's Bluetooth sensor so i can continue to know when everyone is home.

Comment

Well, I don't see this as the death of this app. There is Btraced, which has both advantages and possible disadvantages (if the battery drain is an issue) when compared to Latitude. For now that doesn't help us Android users, but...

It's not quite ready for public announcement but there is an alternative app being developed by a fellow Homeseer user. The first version will be for iPhone, and he assures me he will be releasing an Android version soon after. It's in Beta test now, and I'm sure he will be making an announcement soon. With this decision by Google, me thinks there will be lots of folks interested in the app.

Steve

Comment

Btraced also announced they are coming out with Android version soon.

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
                      Btraced also announced they are coming out with Android version soon.
                      I personally don't have lots of faith in them doing it. It's been on the horizon since I first contacted them, which has been quite a while now.

I am hoping the developer HS-specific application that is currently in Beta testing will be more likely to do an Android version.

Steve

Comment

I am hoping the developer HS-specific application that is currently in Beta testing will be more likely to do an Android version.

Steve
                        Is that app going to be for HS2 or HS3 or both?

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
                          Is that app going to be for HS2 or HS3 or both?
                          I'm talking about the phone app, which doesn't really care about the version. However, it interfaces with Snevl Latitude (similarly to how I did it with Btraced), and at this time I have no plans for supporting HS3.

Steve

Comment

Even if you get the location data from another source, doesn't the app use google latitude API to get the maps and town and all that? This is a huge disappointment to me. Maybe google + will have some sort of API.
                            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                              Even if you get the location data from another source, doesn't the app use google latitude API to get the maps and town and all that? This is a huge disappointment to me. Maybe google + will have some sort of API.
                              Mike,

The static map image and the reverse geocoding both use the map API, vs. the latitude API. I'm pretty sure the announcement is only about the Latitude API, and I really think Google will *NEVER* drop the map API, as it is second only to their search engine in terms of both the number of paying users and (I suspect) ad revenue.

So, I think if people transitioned to the phone apps we will be fine.

Steve

Comment

It almost should be a function built into HS Touch...
                                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
                                X