Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travisdh
    replied
    How much of an issue are your connections. I run ADSL2 on a marginal quality line and rarely have issues connecting (unless I stuffed up a setting etc), given it is static IP but DynDNS servers are relatively good now days, in my case if I I have connection issues with BTraced typically if it can't connect it is because I don't have cell service. I do agree having HSTouch location capabilities would be great and allowing it to run in the background, but that may lead to the same issues you mentioned with the connection.

Adding location to HSTouch would be great or another app as maybe the update settings could be varied from the server

Leave a comment:

• wpiman
    replied
    Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post

In order to trigger events when I arrive home in a timely manner, it would seem necessary to set the track interval for 1 or 2 minutes. Ive tried this and battery life seems OK as long as I use medium power saving which wont turn on GPS unless there is 1 cell tower switch. I havent really noticed much of a different between low and medium GPS power setting.

What would be nice is if there was a way to have different settings for when the phone is plugged in or using battery power. In the car I plug in the phone all the time and I could use short intervals and no power savings and it would be much more accurate.
    I think they do this. It is called vehicle tracking in followmee and when the phone is plugged in, it transmits like every location. You can set a parking limit timer as well which I believe is normal mode. I believe you need the deluxe version of the app which I have.

Leave a comment:

• wpiman
    replied
    Well, I was polling latitude once a minute. I dont know if the followmee servers will stb if we start hitting them like this. Hopefully they are using AWS or something.

My home seer server hasn't been set up yet (just moved), but I have a summer house where one is set up and will test this out tomorrow. I have 3 or four family members to track.

Followmee also has some triggers for when you enter or leave areas. We might be able to incorporate some of those zoning things in. I think it can send SMS or email.

As much as I like the idea of direct communication, I don't know how practical it is. Most of us are probably running on cable modems using dynamic dns. Our links are great, but not nears as good as google or AWS. If a packet can't get through, retries would eat battery time.

Even if it works, it would be good to write the program to transmit kml to snelv. I suggested to Steve to make kml handling a task so that the front end can change easily.

Don't thank me. My only job is to come up with ideas and then pester Steve.

Now, if only I was as good at pestering rich to add location awareness to hstouch.

Leave a comment:

• prsmith777
    replied
    Awesome Steve and wpiman!

Was wondering what settings people are using on FollowMee.

In order to trigger events when I arrive home in a timely manner, it would seem necessary to set the track interval for 1 or 2 minutes. Ive tried this and battery life seems OK as long as I use medium power saving which wont turn on GPS unless there is 1 cell tower switch. I havent really noticed much of a different between low and medium GPS power setting.

What would be nice is if there was a way to have different settings for when the phone is plugged in or using battery power. In the car I plug in the phone all the time and I could use short intervals and no power savings and it would be much more accurate.

Leave a comment:

• travisdh
    replied
    without trying to cloud this forum, or turn it into a new discussion about Followmee, wpiman how often are you polling their servers?

Leave a comment:

• travisdh
    replied
    Thanks Steve,

Hopefully some of the other app creators are still around and we can get some solid integration into the script, the app that was mentioned earlier sounded great so fingers crossed everything is alright with the developer.

Its my personal opinion, but I still feel the best way is to have integration direct with the script rather than through a third party, for two main reasons. The first is reliability, as was the case with Google Latitude there is always the possibility the web service is removed later on, whereas if the app can communicate direct with the users automation server then it reduces the reliance on external services.

The second is more about the value of data, not for everyone but for some having almost-realtime data is quite useful and important to occupancy detection. This means that polling can be a little bit of an issue since it is a fine line between getting data as quickly as possible, and not overloading the web service web server (this may have been easier with google latitude since it is bigger, but with small providers I doubt they would be happy if all users are polling their service every minute or two).

Just food for thought, hopefully some kind of an alternative can be found - ala BTraced fixed, or something similar for Homeseer.

Leave a comment:

• stevea
    replied
    Update Coming

I've made the changes to pull data from FollowMee. wpiman is helping me test this version, but so far it seems to perform pretty well.

Right now I've got Snevl Latitude pulling data from any combination of Btraced, Latitude, or FollowMee. I would assume that by the time I post the new version Latitude will be disabled (Google says it will be on Friday), so I may go ahead and remove the references to Latitude in the web page and in the code.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Jakob.Sand
    replied
    I think it would make sense to be able to from HS be able to control the update frq..
    This we enable us to control powerdraing and update granularity based on othe knowlegede we might have in the HS system like BT and WIFI traces etc.

Originally posted by travisdh View Post
    I was thinking about the app and how it could all work.

I mean there are like 1000 different ways of doing it, but I would suggest that the BTraced format of messages might be the way to do it, given the SnevlLatitude script already receives the BTraced messages, if someone created an app that just sent the GPS messages from the phone in the BTraced format to a user specified URL, and had variable settings for the distance and/or time this would be great. I just get frustrated that it is so hard to develop in anything windows based when the device is an iPhone etc :|

(plus it is way above my skills set)

Leave a comment:

• travisdh
    replied
    I was thinking about the app and how it could all work.

I mean there are like 1000 different ways of doing it, but I would suggest that the BTraced format of messages might be the way to do it, given the SnevlLatitude script already receives the BTraced messages, if someone created an app that just sent the GPS messages from the phone in the BTraced format to a user specified URL, and had variable settings for the distance and/or time this would be great. I just get frustrated that it is so hard to develop in anything windows based when the device is an iPhone etc :|

(plus it is way above my skills set)

Leave a comment:

• Gogs
    replied
    Originally posted by stevea View Post
    The alternative app seems to have reached a dead end. It was going to be really cool, as it was specific to HS (integrated very tightly with Snevl Latitude) and was going to support both Android and Apple phones. Too bad. I do think it is a great idea, if someone else wants to take it up.

Steve
    Yes indeed it was/is a really cool App.

Still hoping it's something simple that is preventing contact, such as not paid internet bill!

Definately hope it's nothing serious.

Leave a comment:

• mrhappy
    replied
    Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post
    You're at 8% battery level!! LOL
    Thats more laziness, been telling myself for days to put it on charge! Same as my laptop, I put it on charge when it runs out of battery...I am probably slowly killing all of my devices.

Leave a comment:

• prsmith777
    replied
    Originally posted by simonog View Post
    Sounds good except it looks as if it reports at a fixed interval so you can't use it to detect that you have arrived home?
    you can do that with geofences that is part of their software.

Leave a comment:

• prsmith777
    replied
    Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
    With the GPS power option set on low in the app I do not notice the battery draw at all.
    You're at 8% battery level!! LOL

I had mine at medium setting. Im going to try low power and see if there is any difference.

Looks like Steve may integrate this into his script when he finishes his rounds of golf.

Leave a comment:

• mrhappy
    replied
    Originally posted by simonog View Post
    Sounds good except it looks as if it reports at a fixed interval so you can't use it to detect that you have arrived home?
    Not done a lot of work with it but don't think you can do that in the app, I think I could halve the time and minimal side effects which I might do and see how I do things. Having instant home/away notifications is going to be difficult...

Leave a comment:

• simonog
    replied
    Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
    I do nothing in the app for that, that is what I do on the HS side of things. The app is fairly intelligent though, it does not upload a location if you have not moved. With the GPS power option set on low in the app I do not notice the battery draw at all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X