X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrhappy
    replied
    Originally posted by simonog View Post
    What setup do you use for the app when you have the home/away requirement only? I think that would be very useful and I was thinking an app which only needed to transmit when it found it had moved from a desired location should be far more economic on battery drain.

Does the app run in the background too?
    I do nothing in the app for that, that is what I do on the HS side of things. The app is fairly intelligent though, it does not upload a location if you have not moved. With the GPS power option set on low in the app I do not notice the battery draw at all.
    Last edited by mrhappy; August 13, 2013, 06:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• simonog
    replied
    Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
    I don't use Steves Latitude script, it is very very good (I used to use it) but I don't need anything as powerful. I just have a small script that pulls the XML for FollowMee and does some processing with it to test whether I am at home or away - that is all I use it for.
    What setup do you use for the app when you have the home/away requirement only? I think that would be very useful and I was thinking an app which only needed to transmit when it found it had moved from a desired location should be far more economic on battery drain.

Does the app run in the background too?

Leave a comment:

• stevea
    replied
    The alternative app seems to have reached a dead end. It was going to be really cool, as it was specific to HS (integrated very tightly with Snevl Latitude) and was going to support both Android and Apple phones. Too bad. I do think it is a great idea, if someone else wants to take it up.

I was hoping to spend some time on the Followmee stuff but aside from getting the app myself and downloading the KML file I didn't get any further. Hopefully in the next few days I'll get it going with Snevl Latitude.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• prsmith777
    replied
    What happened to the iphone app that someone was developing to replace Latitutde?

Time is running out.

Im testing Followmee now and it seems pretty good. So far good battery life and accurate readings. I did notice a post on their forum that stated that they may not support access to the KML file in the future.

Leave a comment:

• mrhappy
    replied
    Originally posted by wpiman View Post
    How did you get it talking to homeseer?
    I don't use Steves Latitude script, it is very very good (I used to use it) but I don't need anything as powerful. I just have a small script that pulls the XML for FollowMee and does some processing with it to test whether I am at home or away - that is all I use it for.

Leave a comment:

• wpiman
    replied
    Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
    There is indeed but I went for the standard one, the free version I think had a minimum update interval or something like an hour, personally I need at least 20 minutes update interval for my setup. I am well impressed with the app, not noticeable battery life issues (set GPS power to low) and an absolute breeze to get talking to my HS setup.

How did you get it talking to homeseer?

Leave a comment:

• wpiman
    replied
    Well, I think you could set up followmee to email your hs whenever there is an update. That could then execute the script. I was running snevl latitude every minute of so. Overhead is low.

The bTraced option only allowed you to communicate with one server. Here you can be monitored by several hs instances.

Leave a comment:

• jayman13
    replied
    Snevl Latitude Version 2 Discussion

From what I could gather you would have to poll the followmee service. I agree with you about btraced. If they would fix the app from crashing after several days or change the use options to conserve battery it would be a much better option.

Leave a comment:

• travisdh
    replied
    Is it possible with the followmee app to get it to automatically upload to your own server rather than having to rely on a third party server. I currently use the BTraced app which works, but a few little glitches. The thing i love about BTraced is that it is not like i have to have a web service being polled every 2 minutes or whatever interval needed (for security system etc), with something like BTraced since it pushes direct to the SnevlLatitude script it is close to as-it-happens. Do you know if followmee works similar, or do you have to poll their web service to get the status?

Still looking for alternatives, the BTraced is great for the real-time factor, but battery life, and reliability have been a bit of an issue.

Leave a comment:

• mrhappy
    replied
    I think there is a free version you can play with.
    There is indeed but I went for the standard one, the free version I think had a minimum update interval or something like an hour, personally I need at least 20 minutes update interval for my setup. I am well impressed with the app, not noticeable battery life issues (set GPS power to low) and an absolute breeze to get talking to my HS setup.

Leave a comment:

• wpiman
    replied
    Originally posted by TrOjAn View Post
    Hmm.. this looks interesting.. if you need me to test anything let me know.. I wont buy the app until your ready ..

TrOjAn
    I think there is a free version you can play with.

Leave a comment:

• TrOjAn
    replied
    Hmm.. this looks interesting.. if you need me to test anything let me know.. I wont buy the app until your ready ..

TrOjAn

Leave a comment:

• stevea
    replied
    Did you think retirement was going to be easy?
    Actually, I thought I would end up having more time to do stuff for fun, like Snevl Latitude. As it turns out, I'm having a harder time finding time now than before I retired. For example, I unfortunately *HAD* to play golf all day today....

Steve

Leave a comment:

• wpiman
    replied
    Originally posted by stevea View Post
    Mike,

I've been out all day but just saw your email and the post here. Good find. I'll start looking at it this weekend.

Steve
    Did you think retirement was going to be easy?

Leave a comment:

• stevea
    replied
    Mike,

I've been out all day but just saw your email and the post here. Good find. I'll start looking at it this weekend.

Steve

Leave a comment:

Working...
X