X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dallas Texas. Straight Latitude.

Comment

Viper,

Ok. Since no one else has been seeing this, I think this must be something specific to your set up. Can you go into the date/time settings on your HS computer and verify for me that the time zone is set to central? If the timezone on the computer was set one off but the time was set to the correct time, it would always look right to you but my script would try and convert the Latitude times to the specified time zone.

I will admit that being from Colorado I have a bit of a bias against people from Dallas, but I'm not smart enough to build that bias into my software...

In the meantime, I'll look at the code and see if there is some small test script I can give you to try and track down what is going on.

Steve

Comment

I am actually originally from Michigan so depending on if you are a hockey fan or not, might be even more biased.......

I was getting burned by my HSProtect... I had machine up forever and apparently when I rebooted yesterday it set the time zone back to Eastern (must of not written memory). Sorry I didnt catch it and assumed it was your plugin (which I had just installed and is great!).

Now to try to master Backtitude so it doesnt report me all over the place when I am in my building at work.

One more thing also although I worked around it. When I did clean install of the latest it kept trying to update the database but said entry already existed so never finished (pretty sure it was Adding UseLatitude checkbox to BADGES table). I grabbed a copy of the 1.9 database overwrote mine and then it ran fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper76Man View Post
          I am actually originally from Michigan so depending on if you are a hockey fan or not, might be even more biased.......
          I'm mostly a Bronco fan (suffered through four Super Bowl losses until 1997), so my main bias is that, along with "Colorado is a Texas State Park" which.... well, I think you can guess how I feel about that! I do have some pretty serious Avalanche friends, but I'm not sure if the hatred for Red Wings is that much more than the Stars. Well, wait... Maybe it is...

I was getting burned by my HSProtect... I had machine up forever and apparently when I rebooted yesterday it set the time zone back to Eastern (must of not written memory). Sorry I didnt catch it and assumed it was your plugin (which I had just installed and is great!).
          I think that means I guessed right. Timezone was the problem? Glad that problem is behind us.

Now to try to master Backtitude so it doesnt report me all over the place when I am in my building at work.
          OK, so now you are giving more data. Sounds like you are on Android and Backitude. I have to say I am *REALLY* happy with backitude. Awesome app, and it has been really good at reporting position for my wife and myself for months. Since I don't have an iPhone, Backitude is my "fix" for not having Btraced.

One more thing also although I worked around it. When I did clean install of the latest it kept trying to update the database but said entry already existed so never finished (pretty sure it was Adding UseLatitude checkbox to BADGES table). I grabbed a copy of the 1.9 database overwrote mine and then it ran fine.
          Ugh! I thought I had fixed that. I'd be curious about more specifics of what you did. Did you start with a clean install of v2.1?

Steve

Comment

Perfect clean install as I just came across your app in Homeseer while searching to see if people had tried integrating any standalone GPS devices with HS (or cheap phones). I started looking at the Garmin GTU 10 and some others in an effort to figure out a good cheap way to track my 7 year old (to young for smartphone). That got me on a tangent with your script and I started testing it to see if I can come up with a way to track him with your scripts also.

Ultimate goal would be a mixture of cheap inexpensive phones with GPS (Boost maybe?) and smart phones all feeding into Homeseer. I did find a company called Accutracking that can take on a mixture of devices and has a push API that can dump GPS chords from all of them.

Comment

BTraced - starting it

I have just turned off Latitude on our iPhone, and installed Btraced.

Question: is there a way to have it start automatically when the phone is turned on even if it wasn't running when the phone was turned off?

Second Question: I would like it permanently to be tracking - is there a way to do this without having to check that there is a current trip with tracking enabled? after a phone reboot, even though the app is still running (unless it was closed by the user) it stops collecting until reenabled.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by simonog View Post

Question: is there a way to have it start automatically when the phone is turned on even if it wasn't running when the phone was turned off?

Second Question: I would like it permanently to be tracking - is there a way to do this without having to check that there is a current trip with tracking enabled? after a phone reboot, even though the app is still running (unless it was closed by the user) it stops collecting until reenabled.

Simon
                I don't think so. That would obviously be on the app side. Hopefully the developers will implement this as well as other improvements in the future such as only tracking when plugged in, etc... They are very open to ideas so let them know and make sure you give them a good review in the app store as there isn't another app that does this sort of thing.

Comment

Simon
                  Simon,

Although there are some other users here who may be able to shed some light, it sounds like you really want to communicate with the Btraced developer. I am not certain, but I think they pay pretty close attention to their message board: http://forum.btraced.com/

Steve

Comment

I was just checking whether anyone here had any brilliant ideas and had made it work.

request now submitted to the developers.

Simon

Comment

A different BTraced question.

I have set mine so the GPS settings are 30 minutes, and the distance for update is 300m.

with the phone stationary, I expected only to see a reading every 30 minutes. what is actually happening is that in the SnevlLatitude Track Map, I see the time of last change being updated approx. every 30 seconds.

can anyone explain this? firstly, the phone isn't moving so I wouldn't really expect the device contents to be changing (which is normally needed for the TimeLastChanged field to up updated). Secondly, why every 30 seconds? BTraced shouldn't be sending anything more frequent than 30 minutes should it?

Any advice from a longer term BTraced user would be much appreciated as I assume I am misunderstanding something!

Simon

Comment

Snevl Latitude Version 2 Discussion

I've noticed the same thing. From my standpoint though I don't care if it uploads 30 data points at the same position. I don't think it changes battery usage because with the app, as long as it is running, gps is on all the time.

Comment

A different BTraced question.

I have set mine so the GPS settings are 30 minutes, and the distance for update is 300m.

with the phone stationary, I expected only to see a reading every 30 minutes. what is actually happening is that in the SnevlLatitude Track Map, I see the time of last change being updated approx. every 30 seconds.

can anyone explain this? firstly, the phone isn't moving so I wouldn't really expect the device contents to be changing (which is normally needed for the TimeLastChanged field to up updated). Secondly, why every 30 seconds? BTraced shouldn't be sending anything more frequent than 30 minutes should it?

Any advice from a longer term BTraced user would be much appreciated as I assume I am misunderstanding something!

Simon
                          I cannot explain why it's updating every 30 secs if you have it set to 30 mins, I would double check the setting in the app, however, if you disable the time update in the app it will only update if you actually move or change direction (assuming you have "Add Point on Turn" on)

This is the setting I use with the Distance update interval set to 1 Km and am getting a good plot.
                          sigpic
                          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                            I cannot explain why it's updating every 30 secs if you have it set to 30 mins, I would double check the setting in the app, however, if you disable the time update in the app it will only update if you actually move or change direction (assuming you have "Add Point on Turn" on)

This is the setting I use with the Distance update interval set to 1 Km and am getting a good plot.
                            The plot is great I agree.

Do you have a Track Map device set up? if so, could you look at it and see how often the Time Last Changed gets updated even when the map doesn't change? I am wondering whether the Snevl script does something with the Track Map device which would cause that field to be updated.

Comment

The plot is great I agree.

Do you have a Track Map device set up? if so, could you look at it and see how often the Time Last Changed gets updated even when the map doesn't change? I am wondering whether the Snevl script does something with the Track Map device which would cause that field to be updated.
                              I found with Snevl that I had to set the "Minimum change distance (Btraced)" to 0.005 to get the accurate changes. At that setting every point appears to be replicated on Snevl as they are on Btraced.

One thing I have noticed is that Btraced can loose accuracy (fail to report position) in certain areas, I have put this down to poor GPS reception.

Regarding the Last change, Btraced is still running and I have not moved since 1430 ish (It's now 18.12) and Snevl is reporting that was the last update time. In other words Snevl has not received an update since then.
                              sigpic
                              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Snevl Latitude Version 2 Discussion

Gogs, you probably know this better than I do but just becauae the time hasn't been updated on Snevl doesn't mean Snevl hasn't been receiving data, right? If you look on the map on Snevl doesn't it say recorded 100 obs at the same location even though you haven't moved. The time doesn't change unless the observation is greater than the distance in Snevl.

Comment

Working...
                                X