Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simonog
    replied
    I second all the comments here about Snevl-Latitude which is a well crafted and highly usable interface to location information.

I am in a different camp, however, on HS3. I have been using this for a while and very much like it. Yes, it has a few bugs still in it! After 30+ years dealing with IT, I observe that the technology will always roll on and change. There are two ways of handling that: freeze one's solution for a number of years until decaying platforms and interface challenges require a change; and keeping up to date incrementally with the changes.

The best solution for each person (and indeed company as businesses face the same challenge) will depend on specific circumstances. It's not that one is right and one is wrong.

I hope that the HS2 and HS3 communities will continue to talk, share solutions and ideas, and help each other!

Simon

Leave a comment:

• Gogs
    replied
    Originally posted by stevea View Post
    All,

...............An important note: With the exception of bug fixes, I expect this to be the last version of Snevl Latitude for a long time, maybe forever. I sense the world is moving to HS3, and I'm not........
    Steve
    In a way it's sad that you say this will be the last version of Snevl Latitude, it's such a brilliant script.

I installed HS3 and quickly discovered many 3rd party scripts and plug-ins do not work with it, even most of my own scripts (Which I am proud of as I am not good with scripts) will not work and I am not prepared to go through them all and alter them, therefore, like you, I am sticking with HS2.

Thank you for all the effort you put into Snevl Lat and Snevl CID, Snevl CID also does not work under HS3, it's sad to see such good work come to an end because of a rushed "must have" completely new version of a tried and tested programme.

Once again Thanks Steve for what you have produced so far.

Leave a comment:

• TrOjAn
    replied
    All,

An important note: With the exception of bug fixes, I expect this to be the last version of Snevl Latitude for a long time, maybe forever. I sense the world is moving to HS3, and I'm not.

Steve
    Im in the same boat, if it was the cost of HS3 alone then I would go but its when you add ALL the other bits Im hitting "divorce amounts".... that along with the fact it took years for HS2 to really get out of beta and I may not have many years left so I dont want to spend them debugging

TrOjAn

Leave a comment:

• sooty
    replied
    Steve,

I'm with you on the "keep it all in house" thing. I have played around with other services including Btraced and personally I don't need trip recording just regular position updates which can then be compared with known places and of course something that doesn't kill my phone battery in a few hours.

I was considering creating my own Android app, but FollowMee fits the bill for what I currently need so I saw no point in re-inventing the wheel unless I have to.

I will do some testing with Backitude and Btraced but in theory I have no problem incorporating these services and then releasing it as a free plug-in.

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• stevea
    replied
    Originally posted by sooty View Post
    Hi Steve,
    I've been using your Latitude package successfully for some time with HS2 and more recently in combination with FollowMee.

Due to the lack of support for HS3 I decided to have a go at it myself so I have created an HS3 plug-in using some of the logic from your script and asp pages.

The plug-in needs some fine tuning and its currently limited to working with the FollowMee service but it could easily be expanded to support other location services and be made public.

I'm happy to discuss this project with you if you would like to contact me by email paul dot huddlestone at gmail dot com.

Paul..
    Paul,

That's great. I hope you will post it for others to use, and - consistent with Snevl Latitude - that you post the source code so others can learn.

I really hope you can incorporate Backitude and Btraced. I think I'm not alone in wanting direct phone-to-server synchronous updates, as opposed to the asynchronous "cloud" implementation with Latitude and now FollowMee. Besides, we are currently using an unpublished API with FollowMee that they have said they may drop at any time.

The Btraced stuff is in the Snevl Latitude code you already have, and Backitude is somewhat similar. You just need to incorporate the ASPX interface pages with your plug-in.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• sooty
    replied
    All,

The Backitude author and I have gotten an agreement on what all needs to be in the next version to support Snevl Latitude. Most Android users remember Backitude: Lots and lots of tuning parameters (even more in the new version), not built around "trips" like Btraced, and not a big battery impact. With the demise of Google Latitude, he was quick to jump on my suggestions to continue it. I'm working on my side now, and once his new beta and my stuff are tested to work together he will publish to Google Play Store and I'll post here.

An important note: With the exception of bug fixes, I expect this to be the last version of Snevl Latitude for a long time, maybe forever. I sense the world is moving to HS3, and I'm not. Although the current HS3 script interface doesn't even allow for some of the stuff I do under HS2, someone at some time may want to tackle moving Snevl Latitude to HS3. Since I post the source code, anyone is certainly welcome to do so. However, I would ask that you let me know you are planning to do so and discuss (via email) how you plan to do it. I only wish to make sure I can impart any useful recommendations to the brave sole that takes it on.

Steve
    Hi Steve,
    I've been using your Latitude package successfully for some time with HS2 and more recently in combination with FollowMee.

Due to the lack of support for HS3 I decided to have a go at it myself so I have created an HS3 plug-in using some of the logic from your script and asp pages.

The plug-in needs some fine tuning and its currently limited to working with the FollowMee service but it could easily be expanded to support other location services and be made public.

I'm happy to discuss this project with you if you would like to contact me by email paul dot huddlestone at gmail dot com.

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• stevea
    replied
    Backitude

All,

The Backitude author and I have gotten an agreement on what all needs to be in the next version to support Snevl Latitude. Most Android users remember Backitude: Lots and lots of tuning parameters (even more in the new version), not built around "trips" like Btraced, and not a big battery impact. With the demise of Google Latitude, he was quick to jump on my suggestions to continue it. I'm working on my side now, and once his new beta and my stuff are tested to work together he will publish to Google Play Store and I'll post here.

An important note: With the exception of bug fixes, I expect this to be the last version of Snevl Latitude for a long time, maybe forever. I sense the world is moving to HS3, and I'm not. Although the current HS3 script interface doesn't even allow for some of the stuff I do under HS2, someone at some time may want to tackle moving Snevl Latitude to HS3. Since I post the source code, anyone is certainly welcome to do so. However, I would ask that you let me know you are planning to do so and discuss (via email) how you plan to do it. I only wish to make sure I can impart any useful recommendations to the brave sole that takes it on.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• TrOjAn
    replied
    Nothing specific for me, I only use it for basic location, being able to trigger events based on location is a bonus

Im easy pleased LOL

TrOjAn

Leave a comment:

• stevea
    replied
    Originally posted by TrOjAn View Post
    Steve, any news / updates to 2.4??

TrOjAn
    The author of Backitude has been working with me, and the latest Beta version does everything required to report directly to Snevl Latitude. I need to make the changes when I get back home, but it shouldn't take long. It will be a little time, but it should be ready in a v2.5 about the time the Backitude app is available in the Google Play store.

Aside from that, I need to take the time to pour back through this thread and see what all has been suggested (new features) or pointed out (bugs). Anything in particular you want to lobby for?

Steve

Leave a comment:

• TrOjAn
    replied
    Steve, any news / updates to 2.4??

TrOjAn

Leave a comment:

• stevea
    replied
    Originally posted by pyspilf View Post
    OK. I must assume the errros I was reporting earlier, with city and position not updating where either a transient issue or something to do with the reverse geocode lookup (I live in a rural area). This morning I drove into the city for work and all devices are OK!!
    Sandro,

I'm glad that my trip delayed things long enough that the problem fixed itself!

Steve

Leave a comment:

• pyspilf
    replied
    OK. I must assume the errros I was reporting earlier, with city and position not updating where either a transient issue or something to do with the reverse geocode lookup (I live in a rural area). This morning I drove into the city for work and all devices are OK!!

Best

Sandro

Leave a comment:

• pyspilf
    replied
    Not a problem, I can wait.

In the meantime, I have managed to get rid of the log errors by saving the HS database under a different name and opening the new one. Apparently I had some corruption and this procedure removes it.

Nonetheless, the issue with the devices not updating persists. See picture below. I have restarted HS, restarted the server, also deleted the devices and let the script recreate them...
    • The "last updated" and "battery" devices update OK.
    • The "near places" and "from home distance" devices did not update after I went out for a while to get BTraced to send new data
    • The "position" and "city" devices always show unknown.

As an aside, I have also noticed erratic behaviour of btraced on the iphone. When I start tracking it shows a large position error and does not change until I click on "map" - once the indicator moves to my position, I go back to my trip and it updates correctly to about 5-10m position uncertainty and starts sending data... odd...

Cheers!

Sandro
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• stevea
    replied
    Sandro,

Those errors are happening on the Homeseer database, not the Snevl Latitude database. I don't really have any idea what could be causing it. Have you tried to shut down Homeseer and restart it? I have a hard time thinking Snevl Latitude is causing the problem, but I'm sure it is being affected.

I'm out of town on an extended road trip. We are working our way slowly back home, but I won't be back to my server to look at anything until Friday.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• pyspilf
    replied
    I have only installed this yesterday, with BTraced on my iPhone.

I am seeing errors like these in my log:

EventActions set update error System.InvalidOperationException: Dynamic SQL generation for the UpdateCommand is not supported against a SelectCommand that does not return any key column information. at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.UpdatingRowStatusErrors(Row UpdatingEventArgs rowUpdatedEvent, DataRow dataRow) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataRow[] dataRows, DataTableMapping tableMapping) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.UpdateFromDataTable(DataTab le dataTable, DataTableMapping tableMapping) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataTable dataTable) at Scheduler.HomeSeerDB.SaveEvents(DataSet ds)

or

Events set update error System.InvalidOperationException: Dynamic SQL generation for the UpdateCommand is not supported against a SelectCommand that does not return any key column information. at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.UpdatingRowStatusErrors(Row UpdatingEventArgs rowUpdatedEvent, DataRow dataRow) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataRow[] dataRows, DataTableMapping tableMapping) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.UpdateFromDataTable(DataTab le dataTable, DataTableMapping tableMapping) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataTable dataTable) at Scheduler.HomeSeerDB.SaveEvents(DataSet ds)

and some devices are not getting updated...

Position and city always show unknown and last change for these is never set... I suppose the errors above are preventing these devices from updating... any thoughts?

Cheers!

Sandro

Leave a comment:

Working...
X