XML HTTP RESTful API for HS3 - Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Status

I have great success using this to run HomeSeer events via tasker on my phone. I'd sure love it if I could request device status (lights on/off, thermostats set point, temp, etc). Is there any chance you could add device status in a variable without the need to guess at the value. I would sure appreciate it!
    Thanks!!!!!

Comment

Hi,

I am trying to set up a device value with your API (temperature from a sensor from another box).

I succeeded in having true/false reply to check id for an ON/off device, but I dont succeed in affecting values like 6.1 for instance.

is there any possibility with your aspx page ?

regards,

JC

edit : finally succeeded but without decimal value and maximum value is 100 of course... any solution for having either decimal values or value > 100 ?
      Last edited by webjco; January 18, 2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrjmpls7 View Post
        I have great success using this to run HomeSeer events via tasker on my phone. I'd sure love it if I could request device status (lights on/off, thermostats set point, temp, etc). Is there any chance you could add device status in a variable without the need to guess at the value. I would sure appreciate it!
        Thanks!!!!!
        Has there been an update from version 1? If so, where can I get it?
        Thanx!

Comment

Thanks for this great plugin, it eases the loss of TenHsServer !

Could you maybe add a 'run event by id' ? Sometimes I rename my events, causing other 'apps' to be broken.

However, the id remains the same ...

Comment

Has there been an update from version 1? If so, where can I get it?
            Thanx!
            Anyone?

Comment

Hello everyone!

I want to thank you all *immensely* for providing valuable constructive feedback!

I have just posted v1.1.0!

The new functions are all based on previous requests:
              • Execute Event by ID
              • Get Device Info by ID
              • Get Device Status Value by Name
              • Get Device Status Value by ID

Feature that didn't make the cut:
              Being able to HTTP POST values (versus standard HTTP GETs) may be a little bit more challenging than I thought. I think the HS3 web server won't accept them from third party scripts. I will continue to look into that.

You can get it from the official release thread located here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=163200

Enjoy!

Comment

Wow, didn't expect to see my 'request' get translated into 'production' that fast ! Thanks a lot !

At the moment I am using your plugin to be able to set devices/run events based on home occupancy using tasker on my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
                  Wow, didn't expect to see my 'request' get translated into 'production' that fast ! Thanks a lot !

At the moment I am using your plugin to be able to set devices/run events based on home occupancy using tasker on my phone.
                  I am (or was) doing the same thing. I had device control (on/off) and events that I could run. Now, all of a sudden nothing works at all. No commands get to HS3, etc. Any idea what I've might have done to cause this and how to fix?
                  Thanx

Comment

I am (or was) doing the same thing. I had device control (on/off) and events that I could run. Now, all of a sudden nothing works at all. No commands get to HS3, etc. Any idea what I've might have done to cause this and how to fix?
                    Thanx
                    Got this fixed. But I can only get status for on/off devices. Doesn't seem to work for other things like thermostats or switch closure devices. Not sure why they would be different. They all have a "value". Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Got this fixed. But I can only get status for on/off devices. Doesn't seem to work for other things like thermostats or switch closure devices. Not sure why they would be different. They all have a "value". Anyone have any ideas?
                      Hmm, I'm not sure if I can help in this area. I only have on/off and dimmable lights. Both of which work with this REST API.

Have you tried using param2=value instead of getting the label?

What does the the REST API return when you try to view the status of one of your devices?

Comment

Originally posted by RedTechie View Post
                        Hmm, I'm not sure if I can help in this area. I only have on/off and dimmable lights. Both of which work with this REST API.

Have you tried using param2=value instead of getting the label?

What does the the REST API return when you try to view the status of one of your devices?
                        I don't think I'm astute enough to answer that. I use tasker and then display the response with mininalistic text on my phone. It just shows blank, so I assume that there is no response when using the HTTP Get.

Maybe some of the other tasker users could do better at providing this info than I can! Really appreciate your efforts on this. You should consider charging for it. I'll bet there are quite a few folks who would be interested.

Comment

I don't think I'm astute enough to answer that. I use tasker and then display the response with mininalistic text on my phone. It just shows blank, so I assume that there is no response when using the HTTP Get.

Maybe some of the other tasker users could do better at providing this info than I can! Really appreciate your efforts on this. You should consider charging for it. I'll bet there are quite a few folks who would be interested.
                          Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad you are enjoying it!

Out of curiosity what do you see in your web browser when you browse to the following URL (replace the "Device Full Name" portion with the location and name of your device):

Code:
                          http://(HS3 URL)/HomeSeer_REST_API.aspx?function=getdevicestatusvaluebyname&param1=(Device 'Full' Name)&param2=value
                          Or if you prefer IDs use the following URL:
                          Code:
                          http://(HS3 URL)/HomeSeer_REST_API.aspx?function=getdevicestatusvaluebyid&param1=(Device ID)&param2=value

Comment

Browsing as you suggest just gives a blank page. I also found the files on my phone where the returns from the HTTP Get are stored. For the on/off devices you can see they contain the value or the label. For the thermostat, the file is blank-just like the web page.

Comment

Browsing as you suggest just gives a blank page. I also found the files on my phone where the returns from the HTTP Get are stored. For the on/off devices you can see they contain the value or the label. For the thermostat, the file is blank-just like the web page.
                              Hmm that's strange. Have you checked the source in the browser just to make sure it's not outputting anything in XML that would be failing to render in the browser's window?

Other than that i'm not sure what I can say. If you find a fix, let me know I will update the code. I sadly don't have a Z-Wave controlled thermostat, I am currently using a Nest thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTechie View Post
                                Hmm that's strange. Have you checked the source in the browser just to make sure it's not outputting anything in XML that would be failing to render in the browser's window?

Other than that i'm not sure what I can say. If you find a fix, let me know I will update the code. I sadly don't have a Z-Wave controlled thermostat, I am currently using a Nest thermostat.
                                Source is blank.

Near as I can tell, it only works for on/off devices only-insteon, z-wave, x10 all work. Doesn't work forz-wave thermostats or z-wave magnetic switch closure devices.
                                I have not the knowledge to do anything. Hopefully, someone else will be knowledgeable enough to add this capability. It's a great way to get data to the phone!!!

I don't suppose there are any HS3 people who might look into this-might be an HS3 issue.
                                Last edited by jrjmpls7; January 28, 2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X