No announcement yet.

Away Mode Random Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at this today. It's been a while; I need to figure out where I left off in January. Hopefully, it's just a matter of completing some documentation.

Update: There is much to be added/revised to the doc file. Working from memory so once this is done, I'll need to verify that everything I've said is actually true.
    Last edited by Wadenut; August 10, 2015, 11:37 AM.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Greig,
      Is it available for release. I'm taking a trip soon, and am missing the great event. Thanks in advance.
      Tom
      baby steps...starting again with HS3
      HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
      HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
      Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
      In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
      System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
        Greig,
        Is it available for release. I'm taking a trip soon, and am missing the great event. Thanks in advance.
        The only thing you'll be missing out on is the definition of separate seasonal schedules. I have yet to complete the documentation on that, but expect to be able to do so soon. It'd been a while since I looked at the project, and I want to make sure the doc is accurate and clear.
        Last edited by Wadenut; October 5, 2015, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks!
          Ok I hadn't played with this in a long time, but I reinstalled in yesterday. I saved my data (.csv file) and used it again in the new install.
          I forgot how EASY you made the input feature in this plugin. The easy of input allows you to fine tune the times, delays, and periods this as needed at one go. Really Great!
          My main goal is to use this for away mode in the evenings or when on vacation. So I have conditions of unoccupied house and vacation, then action.

So 20mins after we got back yesterday, the garage lights and kitchen lights turned off. Freaked out the wife. The question I have, is there away to stop any of the delayed Random Light events, once the house becomes occupied again.
          Could I run another event to stop the Delayed events, if so, could you spell out how that would look like. TIA!
          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
            Thanks!
            Ok I hadn't played with this in a long time, but I reinstalled in yesterday. I saved my data (.csv file) and used it again in the new install.
            I forgot how EASY you made the input feature in this plugin. The easy of input allows you to fine tune the times, delays, and periods this as needed at one go. Really Great!
            My main goal is to use this for away mode in the evenings or when on vacation. So I have conditions of unoccupied house and vacation, then action.

So 20mins after we got back yesterday, the garage lights and kitchen lights turned off. Freaked out the wife. The question I have, is there away to stop any of the delayed Random Light events, once the house becomes occupied again.
            Could I run another event to stop the Delayed events, if so, could you spell out how that would look like. TIA!
            That is a problem I'd thought about. Unfortunately, the only way I can think of is to keep a running record of what events are created and then somehow delete them on arrival. Not sure how I'd accomplish that as I'd also need to be tracking which events might have already expired to avoid errors trying to delete non-existent events.
            I will however, give it some thought when I do get time to sit down to this again. Right now preparing for winter, so outside work takes priority.

Comment

Oh, I was thinking there might be some easier way like some preexisting feature in HS. Like Cancel Delayed Event or Cancel Delayed Device Action or may be even drule's event enable/disable.
              Tom

Comment

I was searching for something else and ran across this. Just posting it because when ever I really want to find something on this forum I can't and waste hours. Also don't know if this will work the
                "hs.DeleteAfterTrigger_Set"

Sent from my iPhone
                Tom

Comment

I just upgraded from HS2 to HS3 so was looking for a replacement random lighting script and have a few questions :-

1) My old HS2 script launched on an offset after sunset. Is this possible with this script? I assume if I set a light to come on in the script after 5pm and sunset is 7pm then this event would not execute? (I would set the schedule of the script to start to run after sunset)

2) The doc says that events are created for running the script but you may not be able to see them in HS3. How can I add conditions to this script in this instance (I cannot see any events related to this script)

3) Am I correct in saying that a light can only get switched on and off once a night? Ideally I would like something like a light can be randomly switched on or off every x minutes.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by greyt View Post
                    I just upgraded from HS2 to HS3 so was looking for a replacement random lighting script and have a few questions :-

1) My old HS2 script launched on an offset after sunset. Is this possible with this script? I assume if I set a light to come on in the script after 5pm and sunset is 7pm then this event would not execute? (I would set the schedule of the script to start to run after sunset)
                    There is no facility for creating offsets to the event trigger time. You can however add a day/night condition to the event if you like. I have a version which can configure schedules for various independent seasons but haven't released it as yet.

2) The doc says that events are created for running the script but you may not be able to see them in HS3. How can I add conditions to this script in this instance (I cannot see any events related to this script)
                    The doc states that "certain parts of the event triggers" might not be immediately visible. This was applicable to earlier versions of HS3. The bug was reported but I don't know if was ever addressed. The events themselves will be visible and editable.

3) Am I correct in saying that a light can only get switched on and off once a night? Ideally I would like something like a light can be randomly switched on or off every x minutes.
                    Incorrect. You can schedule a light to turn on/off any number of times you like.
                    Randomness is built in and was the purpose of the package.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                      There is no facility for creating offsets to the event trigger time. You can however add a day/night condition to the event if you like. I have a version which can configure schedules for various independent seasons but haven't released it as yet.

The doc states that "certain parts of the event triggers" might not be immediately visible. This was applicable to earlier versions of HS3. The bug was reported but I don't know if was ever addressed. The events themselves will be visible and editable.

Incorrect. You can schedule a light to turn on/off any number of times you like.
                      Randomness is built in and was the purpose of the package.
                      Thanks for the quick response. I'm looking forward to getting this setup. It has taken me over a year to get around to it - but I am glad I am finally up and running on HS3.

Comment

Just had my first attempt at getting this set up :-

1) Rather than working on seasons within your code, could you just work off the Homeseer settings to use "after sunset" or "is nighttime" etc? The issue I see at the moment is that at some times of year it is dark here at 4PM. If I set a schedule to switch a light on at 4PM (with a random offset) and have a condition set in homeseer to run the script only if it is nighttime then this light never gets turned on. (ie if the script starts running at 9.15PM when it gets dark in summer then the light that was scheduled at 4PM will never start its random cycle). (Assume I have understood how it works at present?)

2) Having a load of future events scheduled for turning lights on and off without being able to cancel them will freak the wife out. Could a quick and easy way of dealing with this for the script to create each event with an additional condition "The Group Conditions are all True". A user could then add whatever group condition they wanted to "Random Lights Delayed" to override future events from running. (This would actually help with point 1 above, I could set lights to go in a random cycle from 4PM but override this with a simple Group Condition "The time is after sunset"). Hence in summer even though the script's schedule starts at 4PM no lights would be lit until it is after sunset.

Comment

Originally posted by greyt View Post
                          Just had my first attempt at getting this set up :-

1) Rather than working on seasons within your code, could you just work off the Homeseer settings to use "after sunset" or "is nighttime" etc?
                          The work is already done; it's a matter of documenting it. I hope to have time next month.
                          Seasons were meant to address the case of dusk/dawn occurring at different times during the year.

2) Having a load of future events scheduled for turning lights on and off without being able to cancel them will freak the wife out.
                          The idea is that this runs when no one is home (thus the name 'Away Mode Random Lights') and based on an automatically generated schedule, or a manually created one if you prefer. It's up to the user to add the appropriate condition(s) to the event to run only when required. Each person has different requirements.
                          As I recall, there's only one event to configure in that regard. You can add a "nighttime" condition if you like in addition to the recommended home/away condition to that event.

Comment

On getting back to this project, I'm not happy.
                            Adding "seasons" resulted in an unmanageably large data file as things stand now.

I'm going back to the drawing board.
                            The plan is to create a separate data file for each defined season (or period). There can be any number of defined periods, one for each week of the year if you like (The choice of the word 'season' was always a poor choice and rather inaccurate).
                            Using this method would:
                            - Make it easier to copy one data file to another, and modify it for use during a different period of year.
                            - Make the file size more manageable, reducing script run time.

Comment

Made a lot of progress today. I should be ready for release within the week (two if I run this through all its paces, which shouldn't be necessary).

Among the enhancements:
                              - 100% compatible with previously generated data files (finished).
                              - Separate data files for each season (period) defined (finished).
                              - The number of date range defined seasons/periods is unlimited. One for each day or month of the year could be used if required (finished).
                              - Seasons are optional. If none are defined, a single default file is used. (finished).
                              - Defined Home/Away device. This is optional and will obviate the need of adding conditions to the main event (finished).
                              - It will still be possible to use existing conditions if preferred (for use when no Home/Away device is available).
                              - Auto cancels future events when the status of the Home/Away device changes from "Away Mode" to "Home Mode" (Requires that such a device is defined in HS). This will reduce the number of "surprise" light On/Off changes after having returned home (partially finished).

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post

- Auto cancels future events when the status of the Home/Away device changes from "Away Mode" to "Home Mode" (Requires that such a device is defined in HS). This will reduce the number of "surprise" light On/Off changes after having returned home (partially finished).

All of the enhancements are awesome! This one in particular will have great appeal to the rest of the family, as it won't spook them out at 11pm when the future events turn off/on lights, after they are already home. Many thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone
                                Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X