Away Mode Random Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
    All of the enhancements are awesome! This one in particular will have great appeal to the rest of the family, as it won't spook them out at 11pm when the future events turn off/on lights, after they are already home. Many thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone
    I thought you might like that.
    Unfortunately, this may result in some lights remaining on when you do return, but there's no way to determine whether or not a particular light should remain on in this case.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Just an update. 95% done.
      One thing I noticed in the HS3 version was that the script expected controlled lights to have a Device Code. An oversight on my part. This is no longer required.
      I'm running a tracking phase on both versions right now. This should run for 7 days, but I may interrupt it once it's collected sufficient data to produce a meaningful schedule file.

Just putting some polish on things and updating the documents.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
        I thought you might like that.
        Unfortunately, this may result in some lights remaining on when you do return, but there's no way to determine whether or not a particular light should remain on in this case.

No that's fine if a light remains ON after you arrive, it's when the lights turn OFF after x amount of minutes that freaks the family out.
        Thanks for taking the time to update this already great and useful script!

Sent from my iPhone
        Tom
        baby steps...starting again with HS3
        HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
        HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
        Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
        In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
        System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

I've not forgotten.
          I did discover that the tracking function was not recording DIM levels, only ON and OFF states. This is rectified now.
          On compiling this morning I had an error, probably caused by a truncated tracking phase, which I want to find and fix. I don't believe this happens if the recording is allowed to run to completion.
          Other than that, it'll be a matter of correcting the existing documentation and posting this, which I'll do as soon as I'm satisfied.

Comment

I was about to post the update when I thought of one more feature to be added.

With the introduction of "Seasons" comes the necessity to ensure a data file exists for each defined period. This can already be done automatically but requires that the function be enabled manually.

I currently have 12 defined seasons, one per month. This would mean that at the beginning of each month for the next year, I would need to remember to initiate a tracking phase.

This can now be done automatically if desired. At the beginning of each defined season, and if a valid data file doesn't already exist for that period, a tracking phase will be automatically initiated. This should make operation more transparent and worry free.

I've tested this function under HS3 on one machine. On Feb 1 (Monday), my second machine running HS2 will initiate a new tracking phase.

Once this occurs, I should feel comfortable posting the update.

Comment

All packaged and ready to go Monday morning if all goes well.

Comment

v1.9.1 Posted

Nearly forgot to post this today. I'm deep in another project.

V1.9.1 is available. There are quite a number of improvements, including Seasons (Yeaaaaa!). Also a Home/Away device (defined by you) to indicate to the program whether or not the home is occupied and to run random schedules or to delete delayed events created while away. This will eliminate those annoying Lights On/Off surprises.

Enjoy.

Comment

Just an FYI. As I left things, there was no facility to select a Data File to edit in the ASP Webpage. I had to move to another project for a while and wanted to get something of this posted. I'm back on this one now and it shouldn't be long before I can update the files to make things easier. At that point, I think we can call this one completed.

Comment

I have a version ready which will make it easier to select and edit any data file directly from the web page without resorting to copying and renaming files. Before I post it, I want to allow one more auto tracking session to run. I suspect on the last one I had a warning, which I want to make sure is corrected once and for all. The season file was produced properly, but the warning bothered me.
                    Here, I have defined 24 total seasons, each about two weeks long. This should cover the effects of day length through the year and daylight savings time changes quite nicely.

Comment

I have a version ready which will make it easier to select and edit any data file directly from the web page without resorting to copying and renaming files. Before I post it, I want to allow one more auto tracking session to run. I suspect on the last one I had a warning, which I want to make sure is corrected once and for all. The season file was produced properly, but the warning bothered me.
                      Here, I have defined 24 total seasons, each about two weeks long. This should cover the effects of day length through the year and daylight savings time changes quite nicely.
                      The (next to) final version has been running here without error for more than a month. It's just a matter of finding an hour to assemble the package and get it posted.
                      There is one final enhancement which I'd like to implement to make auto-tracking more useful while keeping the operation in line with the nearest defined season. Currently, if a valid data file is not found for the current 'season' the script will default to using file 0. I'd like it to try using the previous season instead, only using file 0 if a previous season file is not found. This would be a small modification but might require a little time to implement and test.

Comment

Nice work Wade! I haven't had time to upgrade since the first version you put out, but have to say it still works great.
                        For the new version do users need to setup their own seasons or can we use the 24 seasons you've setup.

Sent from my iPhone
                        Tom

Comment

For the new version do users need to setup their own seasons or can we use the 24 seasons you've setup.

Sent from my iPhone
                          At this point, if you haven't already upgraded, I'd wait until I get the final version posted. Your current file will be compatible, but would require some modification.

You'd set up your own seasons. It's easy; just define a start/stop month & day for each. You can have as few or as many seasons as you like (up to 52 if you wanted), and define the devices (lights) you want to monitor and control. The script will, over the course of the first year, generate a separate data file for each defined season. Once that phase completes, it will use the file corresponding to the current date.
                          The purpose of File #0 is to maintain operation when a corresponding file is not found. This file can be a renamed copy of any automatically generated file, or one you generate manually.

Now that I know someone is using this, I'll make it a priority.

Comment

Thanks. So what criteria or method did you use to come up with your 24 schedules for seasons.

Sent from my iPhone
                            Tom

Comment

Thanks. So what criteria or method did you use to come up with your 24 schedules for seasons.

Sent from my iPhone
                              Length of day at various periods of the year; and daylight savings time.
                              I could have as easily gone with 12 (each month), or 4 for that matter.

Comment

I haven't abandoned this, and now that things have slowed for the winter, I'll be back to work.
                                During the course of things I'd noticed a few things I want to improve regarding the "season" functions. I should have the final version ready to go soon. As always, writing the documentation is the most difficult part of the project.

Comment

Working...
                                X