Thrag's Echo Plugin Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Version!

Mainly a documentation update. Install instructions should be easier to understand, usage and customization documentation has been expanded.

Comment

Trying to get this all setup but have run into a road block. I've copied the new Intent Schema from your link in the instructions but when I hit 'save' it give me this error:

Error: There was a problem with your request: Unknown intent DeviceChange

Also, when I hit the link in the instructions to create the sample utterances I get this:

{"version":"1.0","response":{"outputSpeech": {"type": "PlainText","text": "Input string was not in a correct format."},"card": {"type": "Simple","title": "Echo Error","content": "Input string was not in a correct format."},"reprompt": {"outputSpeech": {"type": "PlainText",
      "text" : ""}},"shouldEndSession": "true"}}

Thanks for your help!
      Bryan
      Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
      Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

TechHA

did you copy and past the code into the aw lamda page? if you you need to copy it from the hs forum TO note pad THEN from notepad TO lamda. doing it this way strips out the caricature stuff that's in the page that messes it up
        detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
          TechHA

did you copy and past the code into the aw lamda page? if you you need to copy it from the hs forum TO note pad THEN from notepad TO lamda. doing it this way strips out the caricature stuff that's in the page that messes it up
          The lamda setup went smooth (so far!). My problems are on the Alexa Skills side. New code in today's update is giving me errors.

edit: the more I look at it, I think the problem is that I can't create the new sample utterances and it doesn't like the old ones with the new intents. Posting a screenshot...
          Attached Files
          Bryan
          Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
          Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
            The lamda setup went smooth (so far!). My problems are on the Alexa Skills side. New code in today's update is giving me errors.

edit: the more I look at it, I think the problem is that I can't create the new sample utterances and it doesn't like the old ones with the new intents. Posting a screenshot...
            Replace DeviceChange with DeviceChangeIntent.

Comment

Also "command" isn't a parameter, nor is room, floor, etc. as you have it laid out.

The DeviceChangeIntent take a "device" which can be just a device name, a room and device name, or floor room and device name. You don't need parameters (or "slots" as the ASK calls them) for each one indiviudally.

I should have given it a more generic name but as I started with lights use the "OnOff" command. The slots available are "Dim" which takes a number. OnOff, which can be any string command that the device itself accepts. And Setpoint which also takes a number. The difference between dim and Setpoint is on the back end in how I form the command label, and it serves as an addition unique thing to help recognize dim commands for lights in the utterances.

Since your example points it out I'll probably add "command" and "value" as named slots for more generic device handling. For now you want to do something like this:

DeviceChangeIntent {open|OnOff} my {basement kitchen door|Device}

and

DeviceChangeIntent Turn the {first floor living room ceiling light|Device} {on|OnOff}

Thanks for the feedback. Seeing how people are trying to use this gives me ideas to make it better.

Edit: You should probably just start over with the sample utterances my page generates. I think you are using utterances designed for the Official homeseer skill with my skill. The intent syntax is different.
              Last edited by Thrag; September 19, 2015, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Ok, getting closer but still getting the error when trying to use the link to generate the sample utterances. Screen shot attached. Thanks
                Attached Files
                Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
                  Ok, getting closer but still getting the error when trying to use the link to generate the sample utterances. Screen shot attached. Thanks
                  I think I see the likely problem. I'm converting a string I'm assuming is an integer to an int, but it apparently isn't.

I'm putting in proper error handling. I'll put up a version soon with the fix. In your log you'll see a warning message about the device and command label that were skipped. I'll ask you to send that warning line to me once you can upgrade to it.

Comment

New version is up. Improved utterance generation and error handling.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
                      Any reason to update the config file or can we just do the aspx file?

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                        Any reason to update the config file or can we just do the aspx file?
                        Just the aspx page, and make sure to reinitialize (or restart homeseer). If you want you can update your sample utterances. It's not required so if they are working for you, you can leave them alone.

I forgot to mention one other small improvement I made. Aliases were still being read from the config file for each request. I moved them into memory as part of initialization. Which is why you should reinitialize after install. I haven't exactly been benchmarking this stuff, but the change should be at least a tiny performance improvement.

Comment

Also to talk about future development for a moment.

I looked into the Echo's "Connected Home" features and how program like the HA bridge are emulating them. I was able to find pretty good info on both Hue and WeMo emulation. Unfortunately it all seems very limited in a lot of way.

The most significant of which seems to be a limit of 16 devices. That's it, sixteen devices. What the hell am I going to do with just 16 devices? While I really, really want to stop having to say "tell home seer to", having to remember which sixteen devices I can skip that for and which I can't defeats the whole purpose. So sadly for now I'm not going to even bother going down that road. People can always install one of the emulators alongside my skill if they want.

I'm hoping for two things from Amazon. First, a protocol to discover skills on the local network. Second, a way to have different activation words (i.e. "Alexa" ) that go directly to different skills. So instead of "Alexa, tell home seer to", just saying "Home seer ...". These are pipe dreams at the moment, but one can hope (and post constantly on their developer forums).

Comment

Yup, I gave it a try.... I set up an alias for my living room lights (like you suggested). Turning them off worked great! Turning them on however caused a mess...LOL

It said it couldn't find the device "Living room lights on" and it asked what device and I said "Living room lights". It then said it couldn't find the device "room lights" and to try again... I gave up at that point

I may need to go through the utterances at some point. I did however have some duplicates in mine that I had to remove, so you need to likely check your code that generates the utterances.

Comment

Can you give me an example of the duplicates?

There is no context to re-prompts yet. So if it didn't understand the device name, you need to say back not just the device name but the whole command (minus the "tell {name} to" part as the plug in is already listening).

That's sort of pattern is something I can look into integrating. However doing so is currently it is a bit difficult. Intents and therefore utterances are global and not contextual. There's way to, for example, define separate sample utterances as answers to questions asked by the Echo or even just to tell the echo not to try and parse the response to question and just send back the whole spoken text. It doesn't even know that you are asking a question. An intent is that nothing but a single slot can be problematic, and that's what would be needed for an intent that contained just a device name.

In the meantime however I'll make the response more clear by making it read "please say the command again".

Comment

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
                                Thrag, the new utterance generation is working for me. Thank you!
                                Bryan

Comment

Working...
                                X