Anyone Using VOIP with Homeseer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Using VOIP with Homeseer?

If anyone has switched to a VOIP phone service, I'd be interested to know how they've configured their Homeseer server to run with the telephone adapter. I first installed the D-Link VOIP telephone adapter directly to my cable modem, in front of the Linksys router, and wasn't able to use my Homeseer server. I finally figured out that the telephone adapter and router had two different IP addresses and server requests weren't getting through. So I tried the alternate setup and put the telephone adapter behind the router (cable modem to router to telephone adapter). This seemed to work fine last night (I was connecting to Homeseer pages using the outside IP address of the router as I had been before), but this morning the pages aren't coming up and the Homeseer machine started giving messages saying it had "limited internet connectivity." The other networked computers (through the same router) are connecting to the internet without a problem.

I've read that VOIP service causes problems with port forwarding and FTP, but if the telephone adapter is connected in back of the router, not directly to the cable modem, that shouldn't be an issue, right? Maybe this is a separate issue and just happened to occur at the same time I set up the VOIP, but I'd like to know if others are using both servers and VOIP with success.

Yup, using Vonage. Have the CISCO ATA behind my DLINK router. Everything works fine. My understanding is that the newer LinkSys that Vonage is distributing is an ATA and a router that has port forwarding abilities and other router tools. I did have one of these for a short, however, I sent it back due to the poor quality on the voice calls.
    HS: 2.5.0.60
    Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
    Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
    Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
    Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
    Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
    UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
    Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

Vonage and/or Packet8 VoIP Service

Originally posted by LisaC
      If anyone has switched to a VOIP phone service, ...
      Lisa,

I, too, use Vonage. I previously used Packet8. Both worked very well with HomeSeer Phone, and the HomeSeer PCI Voice Modem.

I have a cable modem connected to the WAN port on a broadband router, then an ethernet cable from port 1 on the router to the ethernet card in the HomeSeer PC. Another ethernet cable from port2 on the router to the Vonage ATA.

Jeff

Comment

All issues have been solved and the Homeseer server and VOIP are coexisting without a hitch. The problem was simply a conflicting internal IP address on the Homeseer computer that changed when I had to unplug the cable modem and router to install the telephone adapter. The VOIP service is through AT&T CallVantage and so far the voice quality has been excellent. I had been told there might be a degradation of voice quality because I had installed the TA on the back side of the router, not directly to the cable modem, but, if anything, the voice quality is better than it was before. Much lower price for phone service than we were paying and great features! Plus I've added a great CallVantage voicemail script that someone posted, so now I can see the voicemail count from the Homeseer status page.

Comment

Thanks for the update

I've been with packet8 for 6 plus months and been considering hooking my system up. I had no reason to do it before because I'm cheep and didn't have caller ID. So I am glad to hear that it works.

Comment

Working...
          X