Web pages that draw from other network computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web pages that draw from other network computers

I am wondering if anyone can help me out with information. I have an asp page that has "nested" into it by its ISP address an html page that resides on another computer on my network. This works great if I am home, but if I am not on my internal network the "nested" window gives me a 404 error.

Thanks.

Ted

hey Ted,
    when you ISP address do you mean full URL addess? like http://something.com/index.html

you probably have to addess this page on your network as //machinename/folder/filename.html or (i may need help here) file://machinename/folder/filename.html

Comment

Nope, more like 192.168.0.7 (I ment to say IP Address, It's late)

I haven't tried your approach, I will do that and see what happens.

I would really like to use IP and maybe port because more and more devices are suposed to be comeing out that want to be called by IP. Mostly things like kitchen appliances, web cams and the like. I currently have some things set up on a seperate computer now, and don't want to move them to my Homeseer machine just yet.

Comment

192.168.x.x is an internal lan IP address and won't work from out side your lan. Use port fowarding and a DNS name like bblhed.no-ip.com:88 to get to the computers on your lan.
        Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

that's right what the Zoomcat is telling you. the ip address 192.168.x.x is not "routable" address, meaning it is invisible to the internet. it is a reserved address for internal networks only.

how are you trying to access your network from the remote location? browser on the internet?

as Zoomcat thought, do you have a router? are you already using sometheing like no-ip.com ?

Comment

I am acessing via a browser on the internet. Right now I have a Netgear router and use Dyndns as the name server (The Netgear was preset for dyndns).

I am going to try the porting solution, but this brings up the new problem of needing 2 sets of pages, one for inside access and one for outside access. I was trying to avoid this kink of redundency, but it looks like I will have to go that route.

Comment

bblhed,
              Why 2 sets? You should be able to use the same url inside your lan or outside just make sure it's the WAN ipaddress.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If I try to call my url from inside my network, I get my router even if I call it by even if I add the port. I don't get it, but that is the way it is.

Comment

In the computers on your lan, in the tcp/ip setup, assign them the same dns server that is assigned to your router.
                  Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Whah?

Originally posted by bblhed
                    If I try to call my url from inside my network, I get my router even if I call it by even if I add the port. I don't get it, but that is the way it is.
                    1) Do you have a DMZ set up?
                    2) How do you have the link set up to the page on the other machine? (paste it here if you can)
                    3) Is your router set up as a router or a gateway?
                    4) Do you have ANY firewall software or hardware? If so, what is it?
                    5) Describe your physical network from demark to PC.
                    6) Make/Model of your router.
                    7) Do you have the folder/disk on the other PC shared? Do you have the correct rights set up?
                    8) Are you using HS or IIS as your server? (Both?)

With this information, maybe we can help out. This CAN be done. I have folders on other machines that are accessable from my server. Index.htm is called from my main page and it displays info on another machine (that is not a server).

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob
                      1) Do you have a DMZ set up?
                      2) How do you have the link set up to the page on the other machine? (paste it here if you can)
                      3) Is your router set up as a router or a gateway?
                      4) Do you have ANY firewall software or hardware? If so, what is it?
                      5) Describe your physical network from demark to PC.
                      6) Make/Model of your router.
                      7) Do you have the folder/disk on the other PC shared? Do you have the correct rights set up?
                      8) Are you using HS or IIS as your server? (Both?)

Rob

1) I don't know what DMZ is so probably not

2) I do now, the link is set like this

see attached TXT file (I had to save as TXT instead of ASP for upload)

Where "http://ted.is-a-geek.org:1010" is suposed to be the link to the page I want

3) Not sure on this.

4) Nope, liveing on the edge here.

5) SpeedStream 5100 DSL modem, to a Netgear RT314 Router, to a Netgear EN108 Hub, to the PCs (I have a PC connected directly to the router also)

6) See above

7) I like me so I share drives and printers too.

8) HS 1.7.25 (SQL) Have SQL server on the other machine too.

I hope someone can help me out, I thought I was doing good with this computer stuff until now. Now I know why people say that one minor set back can make you feel like a total twit. Because I know this should be a minor thing, but I am totaly blowing it out of perportion in my mind.

Ted
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ; February 27, 2005, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Ted, I think this is not going to be too difficult, but it is probably going to require you to do some reading of your router's owner's manual....

1) I don't know what DMZ is so probably not
                        A DMZ (De-Militarized Zone) is sort of like a buffer zone between your home network and the Internet. It is a "area" (usually just one IP address in home networks) were you can put a server so that it can be seen from the Internet and from your home network. Normally, your server would have a static Internal network number like 192.168.x.x and then you would set the DMZ to that address. THEN, when someone tries to access your IP address (the one that gets assingned to your modem by your ISP) they will see your server. They will NOT see anything else on your network. If you use some sort of Dynamic DNS, when someone puts in your domain name, they will see your server because the DDNS points to your modem's IP address and then the router forwards it to your server. That make sense?

If you think about it, if someone is trying to get to one of your machines on your network, if you only have one IP address, how would it know which machine to see? Having the DMZ makes that job easy. It is not the most secure way of doing things, but it is a QUICK way to try something and to test connectivity.

2) I do now, the link is set like this

see attached TXT file (I had to save as TXT instead of ASP for upload)

Where "http://ted.is-a-geek.org:1010" is suposed to be the link to the page I want
                        So, if ted.is-a-geek.org is your domain name and you have a service or app running on port 1010 (and I assume it is on a DIFFERENT machine than your server, you will need to go into your router configuration and forward port 1010 to the IP address of that machine.

You could also share the the folder that this application is running on, map that as a virtual directory and then it would look to your server as a local file and you could link to it by file name instead of URL. This is an easy way to do it, but somewhat less secure than port forwarding.

3) Not sure on this.
                        This is easy to figure out. Go into the administration of your router and there should be a folder or a tab that says something like "Dynamic Routing" and then you SHOULD find something that says "working mode." You should then see the choice of Router and Gateway. You want Router. (More than likely you are already set up as a Router if you have multiple machines on your network and they all can get too the internet without problems.)

4) Nope, liveing on the edge here.
                        Not necessarily a bad thing. Your router probably has at least NAT so you have SOME measure of security. Once you get the connectivity you want, you can then go back and close up any ports you don't need open.

5) SpeedStream 5100 DSL modem, to a Netgear RT314 Router, to a Netgear EN108 Hub, to the PCs (I have a PC connected directly to the router also)
                        Are ALL of the PC's on your home network on the same "network?" In other words, do ALL of them have an address like 192.168.X Y where X is the same on EVERY machine?

6) See above
                        7) I like me so I share drives and printers too.
                        Good.

8) HS 1.7.25 (SQL) Have SQL server on the other machine too.
                        Without a more in depth knowledge of how to route an IP network, you are probably not going to be able to get more than one machine to show up externally to your home network. In other words, you can easily get your HS machine to be seen on the net, and you can fairly easily link to information on other machines, but you most likely won't be able to actually see other machines on your home network from the internet.

If your HS machine is already visible from the internet and now you want to get to an app or service running on port 1010 on another machine on your network, I would suggest also giving that machine a static internal IP address (192,168.x.x) and forwarding requests for that port to that particular IP address. I THINK that should work.

An easier solution would be to load IIS on your HS machine and create a virtual directory that points to the directory on the other machine and call that link through an IIS asp page.

There may be some way to do that with the HS machine, but I don't know if or how you can add a virtual directory to the HS server... Perhaps someone else following this thread could shed some light here.

I hope someone can help me out, I thought I was doing good with this computer stuff until now. Now I know why people say that one minor set back can make you feel like a total twit. Because I know this should be a minor thing, but I am totaly blowing it out of perportion in my mind.

Ted

Ted, EVERYONE goes through the same thing when starting out trying to figure out all this stuff. If someone tells you they got it all done right the first try, they are lying to you. AND, I don't know of ANYONE who hasn't spent all night trying to figure out something that turned out to be SO SIMPLE that someone else could have fixed it in 5 minutes. (and the only reason they could do that was because they had already spent all night one night trying to figure it out themselves.) Have no fear. One day it will click and all make sense. Can't tell you when that day may come, but it will if you are really interested in this stuff.

The bottom line is, Ted, you are going to have to do some reading. First check out your router manual. If that is not enough, get TCP/IP for Dummies. Its a great book that can give you a knowledge foundation to build on.

Hope this was somewhat helpful at least....

Rob

Comment

Well, I tested it from the outside, and It works just like it should (I really should get the $.99 per hour dial up for checking this stuff from home)

I did have the "DMZ" set up right. I have to go through most of the other stuff some more tonight. I looked through the Netgear Router manuel, that sucked it is so vauge. I will look at again after some other reading.

I ordered TCP/IP for dummies from Amazon.com (6 and change with shipping!)

Thanks for the help. I will keep at this till it works right!

Comment

Working...
                          X