Yahoo SBC DSL help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo SBC DSL help

Anyone use Yahoo/SBC DSL? I can not figure out how to get web/internet access to my homeseer since they use dynamic ip. I have tried no-ip.com and dyndns.com; neither of them seem to work.
    This is the address I have with dyndns - obriens.homeip.com

Can anyone summarize how you've set up your system so I can try the same.

Thanks

Paul

Which port do you have HS running on? Many ISP's will block port 80 on home service. I run HS on a different port that is unblocked for this reason.

The computer that runs HS in my home has a static IP. This is so I could setup port forwarding in my router so that any traffic that comes in via the WAN on the HS port gets passed to the HS system on my LAN.

I have to run either a small program on a PC here, or use the functionality in my router to run the DDNS client that tells my DDNS provider what my IP from the cable modem ISP is, and make sure the ports that the client uses are unblocked.

If this is basic stuff you already know, and you are wanting info specific to Yahoo/SBC DSL, maybe someone else can help.

Ed

Comment

SBC Yahoo in San Antonio, TX does not block port 80... don't know about CA, though.

I, however run HS on an alternate port so it's a little harder to find, though.

Like Ed said, you have to make sure you're using port forwarding. Do you have a router, or are you directly connected to the DSL modem? If you don't have a router, your should get one, even if you only have one PC, it adds an entra layer of protection from the bad guys.

I successfully use SBC/Yahoo with no-ip.com and a LinkSys router with no problem.
      John
      Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
      Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
      HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
      Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

helpful but not quite there!

Originally posted by griffined
        Which port do you have HS running on? Many ISP's will block port 80 on home service. I run HS on a different port that is unblocked for this reason.

The computer that runs HS in my home has a static IP. This is so I could setup port forwarding in my router so that any traffic that comes in via the WAN on the HS port gets passed to the HS system on my LAN.

I have to run either a small program on a PC here, or use the functionality in my router to run the DDNS client that tells my DDNS provider what my IP from the cable modem ISP is, and make sure the ports that the client uses are unblocked.

If this is basic stuff you already know, and you are wanting info specific to Yahoo/SBC DSL, maybe someone else can help.

Ed
        Its not basic stuff and a little over my head. I am looking for more specific Y/SBC help but I can probably work through your feedback here.
        I have a dynamic IP. I will try a different port.
        However, as John points out, this should work through no-ip.com

So, is there something else I should be doing with no-ip to get it working?

John, can you clarify in any way how you set it up?

Thank you both!

Comment

Just to clarify my earlier post, the IP address of my HS server on my LAN is static, but the IP my cable modem is assigned by the ISP is dynamic.

Some routers have you enter the internal LAN IP for port forwarding config, and some use the MAC address on the NIC you are forwarding stuff to.

If it's MAC based, you could still use a DHCP address on your HS box and the port forwarding would work, but since my router is a Linksys and uses IP address for configuring port forwarding, I need to make sure the IP address of the HS box stays the same, hence my use of a static IP on my internal lan.

I though about suggesting you do a tracert to your domain, but when I did it here, it resolved the address for the homeip.com domain but I don't think it was the one for your sub-domain

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert obriens.homeip.com

Tracing route to homeip.com [216.180.26.135]

so I don't think you can compare that to your DSL provided DHCP IP to verify that your DDNS is working.

Ed

Comment

Po,

You haven't mentioned yet if you have a router or not, and if you do, if you have port forwarding setup. If you do have a router, and have not setup port forwarding, see this post for a tutorial: http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=82 . While you're there, look at some of the other tutorials, cocoontech is chock full of geeky goodness!

Are you using SBC/Yahoo's wired or wirelss modem? If you're using their wireless setup, you may not be able to set it up. When I first signed-up, over a year ago, they inadvertantly set me the wireless rig, which I had them come get and bring me a wired rig, due to the limitations the wireless rig imposed on my network. I had my own wireless equipment, so I didn't need their's anyway.

So, if you have a wired DSL modem, you're off to the right start.

If you have more than 1 PC, then you should have a router, and you need to forward the port that the HS webserver is on to the HS server's IP address... Ahh, that reminds me! YOUR HS SERVER HAS TO HAVE A STATIC IP ADDRESS. I'm not talking about the dynmamic IP address that your DSL connection has, I'm talking about the IP address that your PC has. You may have it using DHCP, so it's a moving target. You can only forward IP addresses to PCs on your network with a static IP.

If you're using a LinkSys Router, yur router's address is probably 192.168.1.1, so you can make your HS Server be 192.168.1.2, then pick your port for HS, and then , following the tutorial, forward that port to IP address 192.168.1.2. Then, of course, make sure you install the no-ip.com dynamic update client on your HS server.
            John
            Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
            Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
            HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
            Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Thank you

This information is a tremendous help
              I wanted to let you know that my responses in dealing with this will not be prompt as I'm traveling next week. I hope you'll bare with me and we can pick this up when I return.
              That said, I'm using SBC/Yahoo's wired modem with a wireless router setup. The PC is hardwired to the router. As for the router brand, I'm not entirely certain, I'll have to dig into my cabinet to figure it out. Meanwhile, I'll attempt each of the suggestions here and let you know. If the meager additional information I've provided here is of any help, I look forward to other thoughts. I'm with you, I'm extremely technical and computer saavy; unfortunately I have no experience with networking so I'm struggling with this part.

Paul

Comment

Go to the below link and make sure the ip address displayed there is the same as the one assigned to the wan side of your router.

http://www.whatismyip.com/
                Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

So close!

Originally posted by zoomkat
                  Go to the below link and make sure the ip address displayed there is the same as the one assigned to the wan side of your router.

http://www.whatismyip.com/
                  Awesome! On the right track. So, it is the same as the ip address that appears in my dynudns module. So, why would the homeseer interface not show up at that ip address? I get a page cannot be displayed error
                  The page cannot be displayed

Comment

make sure you are going to the right port.
                    If you are serving on port 81 you have to put a :81 after the address

Comment

Working...
                    X