• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Plug-in has Trouble with two Networks

Title: Web Plug-in has Trouble with two Networks

Hi,

Using HS 2.2.0.6, and WinXP Pro, sp2 on a 2.66G P4 with 1.5G RAM;

I own an 'Ipaq' pocket-pc that runs Windows Mobile 5.0. On my desktop pc I am running

'ActiveSync' V4.2.0 as an interface to the ppc.

When I plug in the pocket-pc, ActiveSync creates a local network at 169.254.2.2 to talk

to the ppc with.

My desktop pc is behind a router and has a network address of 192.168.1.10. The gateway

(router) address is at 192.168.1.1.

The problem is, that if I start HomeSeer after the ppc is plugged in, the HomeSeer log

says "Local IP address is: 169.254.2.2/24" (not the correct 192.168.1.10). Also, my

remote web interface will not function.

My 'work-around' is just to start HomeSeer prior to connecting the ppc.

FYI

Ken

Google the term using the words binding windows network adapters and see if that points you in the direction you want.

~Bill

Comment

Thanks for that info Bill.

I tried doing a delta to the binding index on a dozen iterations (change/boot). The end result is that my computer is stupid. HS, in my case, always recognizes the incorrect network.

It would be nice to enter a known IP into HS, hint, hint, for this.

ken

Comment

Well - to quote Ron White - "You can't fix stupid"

But, under the HomeSeer / Setup / Web Server tab there is a downdown box talking about:

Bind Server to IP Address:
        (Strongly recommend 'No Binding')

Somebody recommended against it but it may be your only option.

~Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill,

That, in my case, worked. I guess forcing it to a particular address is better than auto detecting the wrong one.

I plan to spend some more time researching the XP network voodoo. Maybe I will be able to figure out a better solution.

Ken

Comment

Glad it worked.

Now if you were really grateful you'd send some of the warm Cali weather up here.

Peace, Bill

~Bill

Comment

Update - For General Information

Hi all,

I was able to configure my XP machine so that the adapter associated with my internet connection came up first and was recognized by HS with 'No Binding' selected on the HS web server set up.

One method described in the Microsoft info (related to adapter binding index) did not work, the second method that I discovered today did indeed work, so, here it is...

Start(menu)->Network Connections->Advanced->Advanced Settings

A window will come up with with your network adapters listed in the top text box. Select the one you want HomeSeer to recognize and use the up/down arrow button at the right to move it to the top of the list. Click the OK button at the bottom, reboot, and 'presto change-o', HS now uses the correct (top listed) adapter.

Ken

Comment

Working...
              X