Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homeseer web server standards compliance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer web server standards compliance?

Many will have noticed that IE8 has recently been released. For the first time it is truly standards compliant (by default). The other 3 main browsers (Firefox, Safari & Opera) are also compliant and all now pass the Acid 2 test I believe.

If you show any Homeseer page in IE8, it offers to view the page in compatibility mode (for old browsers) as it is not W3C compliant (which we all know)!

I freely admit that the majority of the stuff i have written for Homeseer is not W3C compliant but I have no incentive to do anything about it as Homeseer core code is not either. Unless Homeseer's core code is compliant, anything else provided by plugins/scriptwriters etc will never be necessarily written correctly in the future.

I would like to see Homeseer's pages written to be fully compliant to XHTML DTD standards with an option to select XHTML 1.0 Strict or XHTML 1.0 Transitional in the web page setup page. Obviously this would be set to transitional so that it would be compatible with old plugins/scripts but would give an opportunity to go to strict sometime in the future.

What do other people think about this?
    Jon

My question is why? I would venture to say that the future "view" of HomeSeer will not be the "standard" web interface but rather HSTouch or one of the web based apps such as yours. The question is - is it profitable to rewrite these pages considering they work and they are more and more likely to be used less frequently as a front end. The other "setup" pages work sans a few errors for other browsers. If it were me, I would "work" toward being compliant but it would be a the bottom of a long list of things to do.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

As much as I'd like to use HST as my total interface to HS I can't, there are just to many things that I have to go to web based pages to do, for the HS core and all plug-ins. That being said, unless HS is planning to go back to a sort of console model and show it somehow in HST I would think standards are a good thing, no?
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I guess the real question is - what's broken? If something is broken then it needs to be fixed.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

As far as I can tell nothing is broken. I'm on IE8 here and it does well. Over the years I've seen discussions about one browser or another not working quite right with HS. If there are standards and HS was written to those standards then no matter what browser you use it would work.

My only problem is I hate having to show web pages in HST, it never quite blends the way I'd like so I only use HST for the family to operate, maintenance chores are done on a different machine with a browser like always.
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
          Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            I guess the real question is - what's broken? If something is broken then it needs to be fixed.
            Being broken and working toward W3C standards are two different matters. When Homeseer was released Internet Explorer was king and M$ did not care about standards. If something worked in IE then that was OK.

As we know, there are now some pretty good competition to IE with Firefox having around 25% of the market now. How long can a software developer keep saying that their software is only compatible with IE these days?

Things are broken in Homeseer at the moment. There are several including status icon updates, HSP pages etc.

As Nightwalker states, if you stick to standards, then everything works nicely together - whatever the browser. In addition, supported & compliant web enhancements that have appeared recently could make Homeseer a better product on it's web interface front.
            Jon

Comment

Working...
            X