Question about myhomeseer connect...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about myhomeseer connect...

(posted this question to macromark also)

My employer blocks html links to ip addresses (recent change to their net nanny policy). I tried a paid service, JustHost.com, and using their redirect (permanent and temporary) feature I am still unable to redirect to my homeseer pages. The redirect links are correct and work from other machines outside of my employers network. The "net nanny" (forget the actual app) used by my employer reports the blocking reason as IP Address (vs. i.e. videostreaming)

At a glance, I did not see this discussed on the forum, but wondering if any of you have any experience with that (with myhomeseer).
    Thanks in advance.

What port are you running HomeSeer on? Have you tried a port that most employeers do not bock like the SSL port(443) or the FTP port (21)
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I currently use port 84, and it has worked for a long time (until recently). I seem to recall entering the same address with a variety of ports just to see what would happen and got the same blocking message. I think it just blocks all IP's. Doesn't seem to make sense since a domain name is just a lookup from an IP.

Comment

What if you used something like tinyurl to give you an website address for your IP?

Comment

I'll try the tinyURL to see what happens. I created one for the permanent redirect on JustHost, and one for the current direct IP & port. Thanks for the tip.

I guess I could try myhomeseer connect, but I suspect I'm just burning more $$$ for nothing. I was hoping someone else had seen & dealt with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Go Yubari View Post
            I currently use port 84, and it has worked for a long time (until recently). I seem to recall entering the same address with a variety of ports just to see what would happen and got the same blocking message. I think it just blocks all IP's. Doesn't seem to make sense since a domain name is just a lookup from an IP.
            I would try port 21 as most employeers do not block that port.

Comment

I'll try that also...thanks Rupp.

Comment

I tried tinyurl, using 2 different links and both timed out. I noticed that my employer's net nanny doesn't immediately block IP's anymore, but instead times out.

HOWEVER, I did get access using another version of the IP. At sunrise and sunset everyday, I have an event that emails my current IP (using hs.wanip) to my work email address. I have been overlooking the fact that my wanip also includes a URL version of the IP:
                As of 6/22/2009 5:51:00 AM the Homeseer WanIP is xx.xx.xx.xx (c-xx-xx-xx-xx.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)

When I used the "c-xx-xx-xx-xx.hsd1.pa.comcast.net" URL, it worked like a champ. I wish I would have noticed it sooner!

Comment

Originally posted by Go Go Yubari View Post
                  I tried tinyurl, using 2 different links and both timed out. I noticed that my employer's net nanny doesn't immediately block IP's anymore, but instead times out.

HOWEVER, I did get access using another version of the IP. At sunrise and sunset everyday, I have an event that emails my current IP (using hs.wanip) to my work email address. I have been overlooking the fact that my wanip also includes a URL version of the IP:
                  As of 6/22/2009 5:51:00 AM the Homeseer WanIP is xx.xx.xx.xx (c-xx-xx-xx-xx.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)

When I used the "c-xx-xx-xx-xx.hsd1.pa.comcast.net" URL, it worked like a champ. I wish I would have noticed it sooner!
                  This is exactly what myHomeSeer connect does. Did it not work for you?

Comment

Rupp, didn't try it. Was looking for an answer about the operation of the service BEFORE purchasing it. As it turns out, I'm good to go. Thanks for all the response!!

Comment

Working...
                    X