No announcement yet.

"Web" Access ONLY on the local console?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Web" Access ONLY on the local console?

Is it possible to have the monitor, on the local HS machine, only have web page type access to HS without allowing the user to log-in to Windows? In other words I would like a user, who is not logged-in to Windows(therefore has no access to the local computer that HS is installed on) to still see my custom HS web pages and navigate as he would on a remote machine. Is this somehow possible? If "yes" how?

Thanks,
    BobSpen

How would a user bring up the browser if they can't log onto the sytem or am I missing the point?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Some HSTouch type application running with a locked down 2nd monitor, and a locked screen on the primary monitor might do the trick. With the web browser on a windoze machine, you can navigate with whatever power is available by the logged-in user, and on the local HS machine, that's often quite a bit more than you'd like.

You can also run HS as a service, and configure some tightly locked down local login account to access the local network and browse your system that way.

I don't see a simple solution with the limited information, since as Rupp says, the browser being up pretty much means the system has been logged into.

I think you might be asking about a kiosk mode, and if so, the 2nd monitor idea with the 2nd monitor being in kiosk mode running through a 2nd login with highly reduced credentials might do it. You'll want to lock down local logins to require a login for changing things or they'll be able to cause all kinds of havoc...
      huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        How would a user bring up the browser if they can't log onto the sytem or am I missing the point?
        I'm trying to get the same level of security on the "Local" computer, running HS, that I would have, on that "Local" box, if the only access to it was thru the network from another machine using a webbrowser(ie no ability to tamper with anything in the "Local" box). I just don't want to have to install a second computer, network connected, next to the "Local" computer!
        Make sense?
        BobSpen

Comment

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
          Some HSTouch type application running with a locked down 2nd monitor, and a locked screen on the primary monitor might do the trick. With the web browser on a windoze machine, you can navigate with whatever power is available by the logged-in user, and on the local HS machine, that's often quite a bit more than you'd like.

You can also run HS as a service, and configure some tightly locked down local login account to access the local network and browse your system that way.

I don't see a simple solution with the limited information, since as Rupp says, the browser being up pretty much means the system has been logged into.

I think you might be asking about a kiosk mode, and if so, the 2nd monitor idea with the 2nd monitor being in kiosk mode running through a 2nd login with highly reduced credentials might do it. You'll want to lock down local logins to require a login for changing things or they'll be able to cause all kinds of havoc...
          Thanks for the thoughts. I thought there might be some simple way, but seems not so. Even providing a logged in user the ability to open a browser would also allow that user some ability to mess with files, it seems, so maybe there is no way to do what I am asking??????

Thanks,
          BobSpen

Comment

No easy way that I'm aware of.
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X