Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASPX: Argument passing to button click handler

Hi all,

I'm new to ASPX programming so please forgive me if this is simple.

I'm trying to create a page that has several buttons on it and I want to have a single subroutine to handle all of the button clicks. I want to pass "CommandName" and "CommandArgument" parameters to the subroutine but when I code this up I get a "Server Runtime Error" when I click on a button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ken

Here's my code:

Code:

Protected Sub Button_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As CommandEventArgs)
            Response.Write("Button_Click: " & e.CommandArgument)
        End Sub
    PHP Code:

<asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Open" onclick="Button_Click" CommandArgument="open" CommandName="router" />
    <
    asp:Button ID="Button2" runat="server" Text="Close" onclick="Button_Click" CommandArgument="open" CommandName="router" /> 
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

More data...

So I was able to turn off customErrors and I got the following error message:

"Unable to cast object of type 'System.EventArgs' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.CommandEventArgs'."

This makes some sense since I changed "ByVal e As System.EventArgs" to "ByVal e As CommandEventArgs".

So my question now is "How do I get to 'CommandName' and 'CommandArgument' from 'System.EventArgs'?"

As you can plainly see I don't really know what I'm doing here.

Thanks,
    Ken
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Code:
      Protected Sub Button_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
              Dim aButton As Button
              aButton = CType(sender, Button)
              Response.Write("Button_Click: " & aButton.CommandArgument)
          End Sub
      tenholde
      tenholde

Comment

Thank You!

One more question...

Is the "Handles Button1.Click" at the end necessary? It seems like it works without it and since I want to have Button1, Button2, Button3, etc. would that cause any problems?

Thanks again,
        Ken

Comment

Not necessary as you reference the subroutine in the HTML.

tenholde
          tenholde

Comment

Working...
          X