ASP or ASPX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASP or ASPX

So, I know that if I make my scripts a .vb instead of a .txt, then format it properly, I get an actual .NET script.

Is there something I can look at (example, otherwise) that I can use as a guide to ensure that I am making true .net webpages? Before I switch my system over from Win2k8 to Win7, I'm curious if I were to get HS to loadup all my pages as .NET webpages, if they will load faster.

I realize the first time they load, they should be as slow as they are acting right now, but afterwards, they should be faster. I'm also thinking, then if I were to switch rover over to .NET will run faster, as it will be in ram and precompiled, instead of having to be generated each time.

Thanks!

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

I have heard something similar myself, but in the real world, I do have to wonder what the difference in real processing time is for these current speedy multi-cpu chips. Sure, it's more work, but if I'm doing 100% more work and it takes me 1/1000th as long (because the cpu's are so fast), then the differences will be measures in msec rather than tenths of seconds, and likely be negligible unless you are serving hundreds or thousands of pages per second all day and night.

Just a thought since you probably have stuff working.

But it would be worth switching for more than just speed or responsiveness. There are thread management considerations as well as many more ways to perform error handling and make web pages more fault tolerant and better able to recover gracefully.

Just a few thoughts as I did convert some scripts over, but after a while, I didn't really notice I used any of the other stuff to the point it made enough difference to spend all that time perfecting .net code from already functioning vbscript based .asp code.
    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

the reason is, I'm trying to see if I can make the system NOT read the hard drive.

The more I push into ram the better (in this case).

See my Win2k8 thread:
      http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=918667

--Dan
      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

create a huge ram disk drive at boot up, copy your entire homeseer directory to that ram disk, boot homeseer after twiddling the various settings / .ini files to point to the ram disk for everything... if you can get homeseer to run from a huge ram disk, well, there you go....

I think it should be quite possible, especially with the huge amount of ram we can stuff into a usb thumb drive these days..............

Perhaps you can create an entire virtual homeseer system (operating system and all) in a vmware or virtual pc or other similar technology and run your system there..........

Ahh, the dreams.... but the nightmares they would create for the odd crash or reboot after major changes or right before your backup job ran and you made several key updates which wouldn't get updated into the hard drive copy...

Yeah, just update to aspx and after boot up, run hs.geturl's one at a time on your most common aspx pages to get them to render into memory and you'll be speedy the rest of the time
        huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Working...
        X