Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASPX, VB .NET, JavaScript...all play nice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASPX, VB .NET, JavaScript...all play nice?

So, to better integrate Google Voice with my wife's new phone, I am creating a webpage to allow her to kick off text messages. I have all the "grunt" stuff working.

I wanted to make a text box that had a charactor counter. I found some examples online. The one I chose was from http://www.obout.com/

Really awsome and most of their modules are free.

Anyway, to use their stuff, they provide a LOT of Java Script examples. after modifying my web.config file, placing their .dll into the \html\bin directory everything works with their examples.

So, now I have a button that makes a call to a Java Script function, which calls "alert". I get the popup message on BOTH my phone and any other web browser I have used.

I want to change that alert to call a Homeseer script. I have done this when running VB script in .asp pages.

As I see it, I have 2 issues:
    1) I can't seem to figure out how to call any homeseer objects using Java Script

2) I tried to setup the Java Script to call a VB script...this does not seem to do anything, but also does not throw any errors. This script was supposed to just call hs.writelog.

I am not sure if the aspx page is goofing me up, or what. I wanted to go with ASPX so the page loads faster for us, as well as being .NET.

If it would help, I can post the webpage...it's a bit lengthy so I'd prefer not to...but if we end up needing it, I will post it.

Any help or ideas is appreciated. Thanks!

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
    I want to change that alert to call a Homeseer script. I have done this when running VB script in .asp pages.

As I see it, I have 2 issues:
    1) I can't seem to figure out how to call any homeseer objects using Java Script
    I know how to do it in VBScript, but not JavaScript, but the principles should be the same. If you can do a FORM POST from JS using the HTTP server object, then everything you need is there. Here's a VBScript example to run a HS event:

PHP Code:
    Set objHTTP CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP"
    objHTTP.open "POST""http://localhost:8000"False  
    objHTTP
    .setRequestHeader "Content-Type""application/x-www-form-urlencoded" 
    objHTTP.send "run_event=My+Event" 
    I know JS can talk HTTP since that's the underlying AJAX technology. It's just a matter of instantiating the HTTP object, then packaging the FORM fields up.

I might try and play with some JS later today too...
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I wanted to make a text box that had a charactor counter. I found some examples online. The one I chose was from http://www.obout.com/

Really awsome and most of their modules are free.

--Dan
      I had also read somewhere else that they have a lot of free components. I am interested in their treeview but I don't see anything that is free. It seems like everything is at least $99. How do you get a free version?
      James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

You just download the software.

http://www.obout.com/t2/index.aspx

There really are not that many of the components that are NOT free. If you get the suite, it'll have both the free stuff and NON-free stuff.

What I did, after I checked out the suite, was navigate DIRECTLY to what I wanted...for instance:
        http://www.obout.com/show/

That STATES it is free. Just download and go. If what you want is not free...it'll be a bit harder to get anything but the demo (for instance the image manipulation stuff costs $).

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Almost done rebuilding my server.

Man...LOTS of files...

Then I hope to get back to this. I hate being SO close, but without a working solution.

--Dan

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
            I know how to do it in VBScript, but not JavaScript, but the principles should be the same. If you can do a FORM POST from JS using the HTTP server object, then everything you need is there. Here's a VBScript example to run a HS event:

PHP Code:
            Set objHTTP CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP"
            objHTTP.open "POST""http://localhost:8000"False  
            objHTTP
            .setRequestHeader "Content-Type""application/x-www-form-urlencoded" 
            objHTTP.send "run_event=My+Event" 
            I know JS can talk HTTP since that's the underlying AJAX technology. It's just a matter of instantiating the HTTP object, then packaging the FORM fields up.

I might try and play with some JS later today too...

Rmason,

how would you pass in a variable? That's why I wanted to execute a script...I see how you can run an event...

I suppose, if there is a post for running a script, this will work, otherwise I need to try to figure out how to get a Java object of the HS server object...so I can use a runex command...

Thoughts?

Rupp, is there any examples of getting the hs object and using it in Java?

Thanks!

--Dan

Comment

I don't think I saw the original post until now. I may be wrong, but I thought that normally JavaScript runs on the client. I.e., if you have a web page running on the phone that connects to the HS web server, whatever you run in JavaScript is actually running on the client browser, not on HS. As a result, you can't invoke an HS object, or at least not very easily.

Steve

Comment

Rmason,

how would you pass in a variable? That's why I wanted to execute a script...I see how you can run an event...

I suppose, if there is a post for running a script, this will work, otherwise I need to try to figure out how to get a Java object of the HS server object...so I can use a runex command...

Thoughts?

Rupp, is there any examples of getting the hs object and using it in Java?

Thanks!

--Dan

If it were me and I needed to pass a variable, I would write a simple asp page on the HS server and pass the variables as name/value pairs on the URL. So, your client call would do something like:

http://myhomeseer/rcvr.asp?variable1...=somethingelse

Then, rcvr.asp, which lives on the HS server, would look something like:

PHP Code:
                <%@ Language=VBScript %>
                <%

hs.writeLog("rcvr.asp","variable1=" Request.QueryString("variable1"))
                hs.writeLog("rcvr.asp","variable2=" Request.QueryString("variable2"))

%> 
                That would be the quickest way to have a client pass some variable into HS. Once in rcvr.asp, you are running inside HS and have access to all of the HS scripting functions.

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                  I don't think I saw the original post until now. I may be wrong, but I thought that normally JavaScript runs on the client. I.e., if you have a web page running on the phone that connects to the HS web server, whatever you run in JavaScript is actually running on the client browser, not on HS. As a result, you can't invoke an HS object, or at least not very easily.

Steve
                  Correct - JavaScript != Java
                  If you are set on using JavaScript, then you would need to use the HTTP request object. You wouldnt be grabbing a reference to the HS object at all. I think it might be possible, but like you said, it would be difficult at best.

Comment

Thank you both!

Now that I understand java script is CLIENT only, I'm using an asp page (as the example was given) to pass values INTO HS. Looks like that was the missing link!!

Thanks again!!

--Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X