HS not accepting login

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS not accepting login

Sorry for such a basic question, but I'm a new user, I'm not a programmer, and I'm not very technical when it comes to web stuff and servers.

I downloaded the trial version of HS, 1.5.2 Build 24. I'm running it at my home. I started the server using the default port, 80. I tried it out, and I can access it from my home computer and other computers away from my home. Great! I have cable internet service with AT&T, and the ip is static.

My problem is that I can access HS from everywhere except the place I really need to, my office/work computer. When I put in my ip in a browser window at work I get the HS login dialog. Then I enter my user name and password, but HS doesn't accept it and gives me back a blank login dialog again. We have a local network here at my office with a firewall. I don't really know any more about the setup at my office other than that.

I've used other software packages (i.e. inetcam) that have servers. I was able to login to them from work with no problem. It seems that there's something different about HS as compared to those other programs. BTW, HS is the only program/server running on my home computer at this time.

Does anyone have suggestions? I doubt I can persuade our IT dept. to change anything regarding their firewall or network. I was hoping to to fix this problem from my end.

PocketProtector

I had the exact same problem from my work. I changed the port that HomeSeer was running on and eventually found one that my work wasn't somehow firewalling. It ended up being 8081. The only draw back to this was you have to remember to suffix your ipaddress with the port if it's not oin the default port of 80. For example http://135.34.56.78:8081

-Rupp
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'll give it a try. I appreciate your help.

PocketProtector

Comment

I tried to login to Homeseer on several ports with no luck. Interestingly enough these other ports will work with iVista (inetcam). I can login (with username and password) to my iVista server from my office on all these other ports with no problem. But Homeseer will not allow me to login. What's different about HS?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Are there any diagnostic programs out there that I can try?

PocketProtector

Comment

I don't have an answer for your problem but I can tell you that if you are getting the logon dialog, you are getting through your firewall on port 80 just fine. Something is happening to the logon information along the way.

You might setup HS to allow guest access, or do away with the password all together for a quick test and see what happens. Perhaps you could have someone at home turn of the security while you are on the phone from work.

Or, if you can't do that, create a test home page for HS that just displays a line of text or something and tell HS to use that for your home page. HS doesn't protect a user installed home page with the password.

With one of those two methods you will at least know if you are getting a good HTTP conversation going over port 80.

I am assuming you are using the standard HS pages, not custom pages that have additional security in them?

Hope this helps.

Comment

I did try allowing guest access, and that works fine. It seems that when I have to login with a user name and password, that's when I have problems.

When the login dialog box comes up I type in my user name and password (and yes, I have double and triple checked them, to be sure they are correct). I press return and after a second or so the dialog comes back with my user name still in the box, but the password is gone. So I type in the password again, press return, and it comes back again with out the password. After 3 tries I get a screen saying access is denied.

This is really wacky.

PocketProtector

Comment

What does your HS log say during all of these attempts?

Comment

My HS log doesn't show any failed login attempts.

Comment

Make sure your internet logging is turned on.

-Rupp

Comment

I checked it, and yes, "log logins" has a check mark in the box. When I login from home to test it, HS does log my login.

It would seem that somehow the firewall at my office is not allowing me to send the login data (username and password). But I don't know why it would work with iVista and not with HomeSeer.

PocketProtector

Comment

I saw a post here that showed that you can put your username and password in the URL. So I tried the following:

http://userassword@XX.XXX.XX.XXX:XX/

NO LUCK! It still seems that HS is not getting my password so I cannot log in.

PocketProtector

Comment

When you are prompted for the login on the Enter Network Password dialog box, what Site and Realm are displayed? Is the site correct. The Realm should be HomeSeer0.

-Rupp

Comment

Thanks for hangin' with me on this.

Yes, the site is correct. The Realm is HomeSeer1. Is this causing a problem?

PocketProtector

Comment

Do you have the "force login if server is idle for more than 10 minutes" on the web server tab checked. If so try unchecking this. I found an older thread talking about the realm going up bu increments of 1. Also try clearing the cache on the work machine. Greg

-Rupp

Comment

I checked this weekend, and "force login..." is not checked. Also tried clearing the cache on my work machine with no luck.

I tried changing some of the security settings on my work machine, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Although I did have something interesting happen. When trying to login, I typed in my password and pressed enter several times, and after numerous tries I got back a partial page from HomeSeer. I was trying to get the Event Log (http://.../elog/) and part of the page came up. When I clicked on anything on that page, trying to go to another page, the login dialog came up again - and I still cannot login.

Seems that something is trying to work, but I assume our firewall is killing it. I don't know...?!*#

PocketProtector

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
                              Do you have the "force login if server is idle for more than 10 minutes" on the web server tab checked. If so try unchecking this. I found an older thread talking about the realm going up bu increments of 1. Also try clearing the cache on the work machine. Greg

-Rupp<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Working...
                              X