HS & PHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS & PHP

Has anyone tried coupling the HS web server with PHP on Windows? Not being a MS type, I'm not that familiar with ASP, but use PHP frequently. Can PHP be used with the HS web server like it's used with Apache, IIS, or the Win98 Personal Web Server?

Write a small sample page and test it. In addition you could email Rich directly and ask.

-Rupp
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

There's no way to register different content types with the HS web server like you would in httpd.conf with the AddType directive..

I'm using a hacked version of UltraView2 with my Apache/PHP web server, so there's no direct communication with HS from the PHP, but it gets the job done.

Comment

I wonder if one could write a "screen scraper" type app in PHP to get the current status of devices (storing them in an array) and then use PHP logic to integrate with other foreign inputs and then use PHP to automatically submit to the HS web page. The auto submit part makes me wonder. Don't think I've ever tried anything like that and not sure it can be done without a mouse click to trigger the HTML button.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Hill:
          There's no way to register different content types with the HS web server like you would in httpd.conf with the AddType directive..

I'm using a hacked version of UltraView2 with my Apache/PHP web server, so there's no direct communication with HS from the PHP, but it gets the job done.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

then how you connects HS to the PHP/APACHE indirectly ?

Comment

From another thread:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I use apache on a RedHat 7.2 box with UltraView and PHP. It required a little duct tape, but it works great now!
            If you're interested, here's my setup:

PC #1 (my daily-use computer)
            - Running HS with web server enabled on a non-standard port (i.e. 8080)
            - Using UltraView 2b5 (or whatever the last version before the .asp one) to write the ultra_view2.xml file to a directory that's shared
            - Hacked ultra_view2_xml.txt that also creates a file with a simple list of device ref's in the same directory.

PC #2 (linux server)
            - Running apache with PHP web site
            - Samba-mounted directory with ultra_view2.xml file
            - Hacked version of old ultra_view2.asp that reads both files (devices.txt and ultra_view2.xml) and still posts form to PC #1's homeseer web server to control devices.
            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically, Homeseer writes a file with device status info and attributes of each control, which client-side scripting picks up and generates the pretty picture. Client-side scripting also processes clicks, then sends the appropriate HTTP request to the HS webserver.

Comment

In addition to the regular HS ASP pages, I have another web site running PHP-Nuke on IIS that talks to HomeSeer to display some values.

As with ASP, first you have to create a copy of the HS COM object:

$hs = new COM("HomeSeer.Application");

then you call use all the HS functions, such as:

$value1 = $hs-&gt;DeviceString("y2");
              $value2 = $hs-&gt;Version();
              $value3 = $hs-&gt;Sunrise();
              $value4 = $hs-&gt;Sunset();

notice that you have to use () even if it doesn't require parameters.

Don't forget to release the COM object so you don't eat up all the memory:

unset($hs);

NOTE: This has been working fine, until I upgraded to b40. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] It seems that the call to HomeSeer.Application should now be HomeSeer.Condition, but I still haven't get that to work either... This problem is not exclusive of PHP as it is happening to some other folks using ASP. If you are using a version of HS prior than 1.5.2 b40 (it works like a charm with b37) it should work for you.

Update: I was able to fix the problem with b40 (see details in this thread). You still should use $hs = new COM("HomeSeer.Application");

CarlosHouse.com

[This message was edited by Carlos Castillo on Wednesday, 17 April 2002 at 12:06 AM.]

[This message was edited by Carlos Castillo on Wednesday, 17 April 2002 at 12:07 AM.]

Comment

hi,

so have to make New COM object for HS ? in PHP?

Comment

Yes, you will need to create a new COM object for HS in PHP:

$hs = new COM("HomeSeer.Application");

You can also create one for HSPhone if you require to:

$hsp = new COM("hsphone.Application");

Dont forget to release them at the end of your rutine:

unset($hs);
                  unsed($hsp);

This should work regardless of the server platform (IIS or Apache) as long as you are running it on a Windows machine.

There is a good article on PHPBuilder.com about how to use COM Functions in PHP4

CarlosHouse.com

Comment

thanks for your help.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

This is an interesting thread to my eyes and mind. I am a PHP monger, but I don't have HS installed on MY machine, but I do have Apache installed with SSI enabled, PHP installed, Perl installed, and a MySQL server installed, so yeah, I am set with those. My dad is the one who runs HS on his PC. *thinks to himself aloud* "I wonder if my father will let me install Apache and PHP onto his computer." *ends thought process* I really understand what everyone is saying on this thread, thanks Carl for your post(s). I am going to have to beg him to let me install those 2 on his computer. Bad thing is...I HATE WINDOWS 98 AND THAT IS WHAT HE RUNS! Thanks again for the info, guys, see ya later.

&nbsp;&nbsp;Best Regards,
                      &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Dale Higgs (Synthesize)

&nbsp;&nbsp;Website: http://www.synvb.com/

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Synthesize:
                        I am going to have to beg him to let me install those 2 on his computer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Dale, you could download the evaluation version of HomeSeer and install it on your PC and play with it for 30 days (I believe that's the evaluation period).

- Carlos

CarlosHouse.com

Comment

Could I possibly get permission from Rich to run a dual liscense? That'd be really cool if I could...then I could just play around with ASP and get the weather and stuff...but just one slight problem, I am running a 333Mhz with 3 physical HDs, a 1.6GB, a 2.5GB and now a 4.2GB as the third. So...I don't think the voice fonts will run on my computer. But I'll try it out, and I'll try to obtain the permission for a dual liscense from Rich. Thanks for the info, again.

&nbsp;&nbsp;Best Regards,
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Dale Higgs (Synthesize)

&nbsp;&nbsp;Website: http://www.synvb.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X