winamp/webamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winamp/webamp

Help! I can't get winamp/webamp to work right. What should the output be set to? I've tried all four plugins listed. Which one do I need. I can get winamp to play the mp3 on the host, but no sound comes out.

Any suggestions? I see alot of people using this, but I can't get it to work.

Comment

Hi there
      why don't you list the step taken when using webamp/ winamp I will try to help?
      rob

Comment

OK So I downloaded Winamp, then Webamp. Under Winamp, I set the port to 8081, set my directory to my music directoryconfigured my LAN for that port, and here's where I get lost. Under Options/Preferences/Output, there are 4 choices. Nullsoft Waveout Plug in makes the most sense, but doesn't seem to work. Other options are Nullsoft WMA, Nullsoft Disk Writer, and Nullsoft Direct Sound. I load it up on my HS server, then go to my laptop and enter in the address: 192.168.0.2:8081. THe playlist comes up fine, but I cannot get any thing to play. Winamp plays fine on the host, by the way. I've tried different Outputs, but have had no luck. Thanks for trying to help.
        \

Comment

Well Rob,
          In going through the steps again to post, I somehow made it work. I can now play MP3 files through my server PC, and control them from laptop, Audrey, etc. Now for the potentially really dumb question (and please hold down the snickers out there!) I thought Webamp allowed me to play my MP3 through the local speakers, ie; Audrey's speakers. Am I totally off base and wacked out? That is what I really want to do.
          Thanks

Comment

no webamp does not allow local playing I use it to control my mp3 server and whole house audio system.

Now if it looking at playing at laptop and you have another box that has the song why not map the drive and play it at your remote using winamp.

As for audreys I recommend do a search for audrey in the forum maybe some one out there has a solution best of luck
            cheers

rob

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alconnell:
            Well Rob,
            In going through the steps again to post, I somehow made it work. I can now play MP3 files through my server PC, and control them from laptop, Audrey, etc. Now for the potentially really dumb question (and please hold down the snickers out there!) I thought Webamp allowed me to play my MP3 through the local speakers, ie; Audrey's speakers. Am I totally off base and wacked out? That is what I really want to do.
            Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Audrey has an MP3 player and can be configured to obtain the playlist from a windows shared LAN drive. Sound fidelity on Audrey's 1" speakers is not very pleasing. She does have a output for external speakers, but I suspect this defeats your purpose. The MP3 player is posted at several locations. I belive that the install instructions are in the Audrey Hacks post in the script library.

At the time I last tried which is when Tiger first started selling Audrey we had not figured out how to play MP3 via Audrey's browser. I suspect that someone has done this and it should be on AudreyHacking.com. Your HTML page running on Audrey would then accept &lt;embed&gt; files from the server and play the sound locally.

Comment

Thanks Michael & Rob
                It must be time to talk my wife into a whole house audio system!

Comment

I've been very happy playing mp3s directly on my Audreys for a while now and am very happy. I'm running phJuke on the Audrey's and accessing the mp3s from a remote server. The music directory on that server is mounted on the Audreys as /music. It handles the files and playlists well.

I do not use the internal speakers. They are sort of ok but very tinny. The quality seems to vary Audrey-to-Audrey, also. I have a set of pc speakers - 2 satellites and subwoofer - connected which I'm very happy with.

Here's the site for phJuke:
                  phjuke

Comment

I will play around with PHJuke - but it really sounds like what is needed is a whole house solution. Come to think of it, isn't that what we all want? Convergence of our HA devices, computers, Audreys, music and video?

Comment

Another solution is to webcast your output from one PC to anyone on your local LAN. You can set up a Shoutcast or Icecast server, using WinAmp as your source (with a plug-in), and listen to it from any PC with WinAmp.

Anything you can pump into WinAmp can be "broadcast" on your LAN, but it does take up bandwidth! Then you use WebAmp or similar to control the WinAmp source remotely.

- huggy
                      |
                      | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                      HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Working...
                      X