OFF topic - Alternative Web browser wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OFF topic - Alternative Web browser wanted

Can anyone recommend a different web browser other than IE or Netscape? I want a simple one dedicated to just use with Homeseer control panels and Nowplaying that can remember its size. Thanks

John
    John

IE and Netscape remembers its last screen size. Is yours not? If I make IE the size of a deck of cards in the lower right hand corner of the screen and then exit, then launch a new browser it comers back the same way.

-Rupp
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yes I know that.. but I would like to have a dedicated size for Audrey control panels on my PC while still using IE or Netscape for normal stuff... kinds of a WAF murphy proof thing.

John
      John

Comment

You could try http://www.mozilla.org/ , very popular with Linux people but also available on Win32

Comment

I haven't played with the screen size but try Opera. I use it almost exclusively and it will report itself as either IE or Netscape at your choice. It's faster than either of the big two and has some features they don't have. I think the site is www.opera.com. It's available for Windoze and Linux.

Comment

Opera works fine... thanks... Mozilla uses Netscape last window settings so its not independent enough.

John
            John

Comment

John,
              What if you created a vbscript which would create a new IE explorer object and resize use the object to resize itself to the exact size that you wanted?

I can get you started:
              Set ieObj = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
              ieObj.Visible = True
              ieObj.navigate "http://www.yahoo.com"

Save this to 'ie.vbs' and run it wscript ie.vbs and an IE will start.

You will then have to read the documentation for InternetExplorer.Application to figure out how to resize it.

If you make it work, then create an icon for it.

Bholio

Comment

I use IE in kiosk mode. Start IE with the -k switch and it goes full screen with no toolbars, icons, etc. Great for small real estate screens like the PT-510. High WAF and fool proof. I leave a small hot spot on the default screen which does a javascript:window.close() to exit without a keyboard.

I tried Opera on the Fujitsu 510 and found some formatting issues. Particularly with buttons. If I change the look of a button (like change its background color if selected) it will not work in Opera (v5 or v6). Although Opera was faster, it didn't work from a formatting point of view.

-John

Comment

Well I thought Oera was working ok but then I found some problems. So its back to IE. I will try and play around with the vbs idea. I guess I would need two scripts. One for the small version with no buttons or stuff but another for a normal IE to use for regular web surfin.

John
                  John

Comment

OK,
                    I looked deeper and found the 'height' and 'width' properties of IE object.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
                    Set ieObj = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
                    ieObj.Visible = True
                    ieObj.Height = 600
                    ieObj.Width = 200
                    ieObj.navigate "http://www.yahoo.com"
                    </pre>

The above works the way you'd expect... On IE6 anyhow.

Bholio

Comment

Straight from my "links.htm" file: &lt;a href='#' onClick=window.open("/cdj/nowplaying.asp","NowPlaying","toolbar=0,location=0,directori es=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=1,width=800,h eight=563")&gt;NowPlaying&lt;/a&gt;

Hits the WAF as it fills the screen with the content on the touch screen and nothing else.

In my case, I'm aiming to fill an 800x600 screen (P510) and have resized the NowPlaying screen to fill it nicely. This launches a window sized appropriately. You can (if it's not obvious) make that window "unsizeable" as well.

There are other "window.xxx" commands which can be strung together in a single "link" with a semicolon. I tried using an "autolaunch" with a "window.close" command in addition to the above, but IE asked if I really wanted that done... defeated the purpose.

I use this approach to launch my webcams as well.

Much thanks to Rupp (if I remember correctly) for pointing me to this.

(see profile for environment)

Comment

Ok.. you mean if I put this in my links.html file to access Nowplaying that when I select my Nowplayingbutton with IE that it will resize the window with no toolbars? wow

John
                        John

Comment

It will actually open a new window with that size and no menus, scrollbars, toolbars, etc.

But you probably figured that out by now, eh?

Cheers!

(see profile for environment)

Comment

Working...
                          X