No announcement yet.

New Comer on Web Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had almost no time to work on this last night. however I was able to logon localy (the PC running HS) with the 192.168.etc IP. That brought me to the device page. I don't see an advanced tab. Is there another page that needs to be brought up? thanks again.

garycc

Comment

What we are looking for here is something that allows you to map your external ipaddress (the ipaddress that your isp gives you 216.63.218.34) to your internal ipaddress of the pc running HomeSeer (something like 192.168.0.3 you can get this by typing ipconfig at a dos prompt on the pc running HS)
      My router is set up like this.
      ID :1 - this is unimportant it is assigned by the router to just maintain a list of "holes" through the firewall

service port: This is the port that you want to open up. If the server is running on port 81 then this number needs to be 81

Server IP: This is the internal ipaddress of the pc running HS. (you can get this by typing ipconfig at a dos prompt)

enable: Is a check mark to turn this "hole" on and off.

What all this does is allow traffic to go through the built in firewall in the router. By default most routers will block all internet traffic and not allow it to come into you pcs (lan). So if you want to give "permission" to get through you have to open up a port ("hole") to the pc on the lan running the server you want to serve with (HS pc) I hope this helps but not knowing the particulars of your router Ican't tell you exactly where to go and what to keyin. Someone else may hve this same setup and be able to step in and point you to the exact keyins. Don't give up once this router thing is set up it is "cool" how it blocks a lot of the bad internet traffic from getting to your pc.

-Rupp
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Another thing you can try is the router manufacturer tech support telephone number. Mine is a Netgear, when I set up my LAN I needed lots of help since I am so new to this. They were helpful and if you call on off hours, there is almost no wait. I just told them what I wanted to do and they helped me with the proper settings. Now I have HS, a webcam, ftp, webplayer, etc all setup on the router. You may be able to get the same level of support from you DSL provider - but ususally, they are useless.

Comment

This link appears to have what I need. I'll try it tonight.

http://support1.netgear.com/netgear1/

Comment

I haven't given up on this. I have been trying to figure out the advanced tab after I logon to my router. It seems that the WAN settings would do it. It hasn't worked so far. I sent some e-mail to the Addtron site. Maybe they will respond. the IP is 216.63.218.34:81 if you want to try.

Thanks,
            Garycc

Comment

garycc,

No luck with that IP.

What you're looking for is port forwarding. You want to forward all requests to 216.63.218.34:81 to 192.168.xxx.xxx:81. Do you have any documentation or help files with your router? There should be some mention of port forwarding.

Zac

Comment

In the advanced tab, is there anything relating to the DMZ? This is what you are looking for. I recently set up a linksys dsl/cable router that allowed me to set up one of their machines inside the DMZ to be used as a web server.

Comment

If he uses DMZ then his HA server loses all of the router's firewall protection. Unless he is running many web servers and needs lots of ports available, port forwarding would be the safest way to accomplish this.

Comment

Got some help from a local guru and he said he can now ping my router 216.63.218.34. he is not getting to my port however (81). any ideas?

Gary

Comment

Zac nailed it above. Somehow you have to tell your router that you want any requests comming into 216.63.218.34:81 to "direct to" your internal ipaddress:81

Have you figured out how to view to log file. Look and see if you are getting requests from other ipaddress on port 81.

-Rupp
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                      X